Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Day of the Dead remake...Starring Ving Rhames and Mena Suvari

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Day of the Dead remake...Starring Ving Rhames and Mena Suvari

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Hopefully the remake has a little less talk than the original.

Blah blah blah blah blah.
Ever stop to consider that it wasn't filmed as an action movie?

Day is still my favorite of Romero's series because of its pacing and dialogue. I really get a sense of claustrophobia and isolation in that film, as if I were one of the people stuck in that base.

I'll take a remake and hold it apart from Romero's, the same way I did with the Dawn remake (which was OK, but nothing to write home about). Still, I seriously doubt that it will have the impact that Romero's does.
Old 11-03-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what the director is saying it sounds like a pretty direct remake. Unless his vague description of, "There will be a military facility with soldiers, scientists and civilians, there will be a Bub and yes, there will be blood", means it's more like the original script.

By the way, if they use Romero's original script, they better do some serious editing. It was a bit too all over-the-place, too many characters. I think I'm one of the few that perfers what we got to the original script.
Old 11-03-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they're using Romero's original script, I don't think they'd hire the writer of Final Destination to write a new script.

Plus, if Romero is gonna let that version be made, i'm guessing only he'd want to make it.
Old 11-03-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I actually enjoyed the 'New' Dawn. I just wish Romero would be able to make his original 'Day' a reality.
I'm assuming Romero doesn't want to revisit Day. Think about it like this: do you think Atmopshere/Universal would've had Romero do an entirely new zombie film OR a remake of a film that just had it's prequel be remade to great audience/critical reviews and box office?

From what it seems, Universal (and Richard P. Rubinstein) still have the rights to produce a Day of the Dead remake and I don't know why they didn't greenlight it the moment Dawn hit number one at the box office. If they can't get Gunn and/or Snyder back, why not bring Roger Avary into the chair to get the flick rolling? Under his supervision, I am sure we could see Romero's original concept become a reality (and I'm sure it would only cost Universal $20-30 million, maybe less considering Land only cost $10-15).

And anyway one would look at it, the Universal remake would be light years better because Steve Miner is a fucking hack.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 11-03-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Avary was approached about the Dawn remake I believe, but for some reason (that I can't remember) he decided to not be apart of it.
Old 11-03-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
Avary was approached about the Dawn remake I believe, but for some reason (that I can't remember) he decided to not be apart of it.
His idea for the Dawn remake actually wasn't a remake, it was going to be a "prequel/sequel/remake" of sorts. The story was going to be based off the bikers that terrorize the mall at the end of the original Dawn. I can see why Universal didn't go with his idea.
Old 11-03-05, 05:24 PM

As much as I enjoyed the original Day of the Dead, it probably is my least favorite of the original trilogy. It was good, but just had something missing to it. It did give me a great sense of the characters, but the pacing was a bit off at times it seemed. Great dialogue though. Really gives you the fear that the characters are feeling.

I actually welcome this remake if it turns out ot be as good as the Dawn remake which was just phenomenal IMO.

Also, I thought Zach Snyder was doing this remake as well. That's at least what I have read from other sites as well as what is listed on IMDB.
Old 11-03-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Snyder is doing a follow up of the DAWN remake. ie, new cast and location during the same time as the events of the remake, or close too.
Old 11-03-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
His idea for the Dawn remake actually wasn't a remake, it was going to be a "prequel/sequel/remake" of sorts. The story was going to be based off the bikers that terrorize the mall at the end of the original Dawn. I can see why Universal didn't go with his idea.
Wow, that sounded great. Never knew that. I hope he gets to make a zombie film someday. I think he would do an incredible job.

Hopefully this remake is good, or atleast has great FX.
Old 11-21-05, 09:08 PM

Day of the Dead 2 - is it really that bad ??

Like the titles says. Is the movie really that bad ?? I was half tempted to give this a blind-buy, but so far initial reviews say the flick is flat out horrible. And that's coming from Romera / zombie fans.

Anyone enjoy it ??
Old 11-21-05, 09:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Romero had nothing to do with this movie.
Old 11-21-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Romero had nothing to do with this movie.
Don't think he said it was.
And I would avoid this. I own all 4 dead movies + the two remakes, but I think this has nothing to do with Day, the title was just thrown on for marketing.
Old 11-21-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Terrible.
Old 02-17-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anybody seen Day of the Dead 2: Contagium

Anybody seen this movie? Worth buying?
Old 02-17-06, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Not yet...Soon...Soon.
Old 02-18-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie sucks so hard...I swear, if you buy this, you will feel like the worlds biggest moron.

Seriously, it has nothing to do with the 'Living Dead' series.

It has awful acting, an awful script, laughable CGI...The scene where there are people peeling off parts of their skin, it's so obviously just dried elmer's glue that they're peeling off. I turned the commentary on, and they actually admit that it IS elmer's glue!

The zombies talk (and are very annoying), there is an 'instant pregnancy'...it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.[/spoiler] The people who made the film show so little care for making a good, or even watchable, film.

Avoid this film. Pretend it was never made. At one point in the movie, there is a newscaster standing at their newsvan doing a report, and you can see that the van has a sticker put on by the film crew to show that it's a newsvan. The camera pans over, and you see a big logo that says "RYDER", showing that it was a Ryder truck that they rented for the day. Things like that are actually amusing...But it just shows how little care or emotion went into making this film.
Old 02-18-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

doh, I tried to add on some spoiler tags, but my computer is messing up...The icons for editing aren't even showing up, so I have no way to change it. Sorry.

Here's a spoiler: It's awful.
Old 02-18-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
doh, I tried to add on some spoiler tags, but my computer is messing up...The icons for editing aren't even showing up, so I have no way to change it. Sorry.

Here's a spoiler: It's awful.
Dude, you did him a favor by not having spoiler tags up. This "movie" blows! I couldn't make it past the fifteen minute mark, and this is coming from a guy who sat through "Mom and Dad Save the World" twice!
Old 02-18-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never even heard of it, but from some of these posts I can understand why. Sounds like a real hoot.
Old 02-18-06, 09:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Seriously, it has nothing to do with the 'Living Dead' series.
Romero's series isn't nicknamed "Living Dead", is it?
Old 02-18-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
Night of the Living Dead?
Old 02-18-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
The flick is total crap. It's just bad enough to suck, not so incredibly bad that it would be funny. Avoid Avoid Avoid.
Old 02-18-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've never seen it but have heard enough bad things to know to stay far, far away from this.
Old 02-18-06, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Nope. From memory, I think one of the producers ended up taking the "Living Dead" title and going on to make the "Return of the Living Dead" films. Romero was left with "Dead" hence "Dawn/Day/Land of the Dead."
Old 02-18-06, 07:30 PM

Thanks, I have almost pulled the trigger at Columbia House several times on this one. Glad I asked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.