Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Day of the Dead remake...Starring Ving Rhames and Mena Suvari

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Day of the Dead remake...Starring Ving Rhames and Mena Suvari

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah that sounds great, but mosaic censoring of zombie sex organs = no sale

well played
Old 05-09-07, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
at the vegetarian zombie.
Old 05-09-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard this blows. Have to wait and see.
Old 05-09-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently, Moriarty needed to hire a proof reader before posting that review from Helper Monkey... But, it is AICN, so...
Old 06-08-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a remake in name alone. The only thing it has in common with the original Day is that it focuses on military personnel, and Ving Rhames plays a character named Captain Rhodes.

So, here's my take. Here there be many spoilers!
Spoiler:
Rhames must've been anxious to pay his mortgage that month, because he's in maybe 2 scenes before becoming a legless zombie. Mena Suvari makes for a believable asskicking soldier, surprisingly. Nick Cannon is in for the laughs.

The zombies are indeed runners, at the very least. Some of these jokers are quite agile, leaping 10 feet in the air to jump on a moving car, throwing themselves through windows, there was even one spry fellow that spider walked on the ceiling. And no moaning for these guys, they scream and roar.

The infestation is caused by (of course), gub'mint experiments in the small Colorado town. They tried to create a virus that would shut down an enemy's bodily functions for a few hours, but the virus mutated. The initial virus is airborne, but some are immune. However, nobody is immune to the bites. Apparently the virus makes a person very flammable, because fire pretty much makes them explode into ash within seconds.

Now for the head-shakers:
1) Bud is a soldier that gets friendly with Suvari. After he turns, the survivors don't kill him, just keep him handcuffed. He doesn't try to eat them, because he was a vegetarian. I shit you not. Anyway, he's still in love with her and tries to shoot the main zombie to protect her. The main zombie seemed rather insulted. The other zombies gang up on him and twist his head off, which the main zombie holds up in triumph.

2) Some survivors hole up in a small radio station and one guy broadcasts for help. The guy's mother is a zombie, yet recognizes his voice on the radio and goes to the station to try and eat him.

3) The main zombie is smarter than the rest, he runs away from the humans and goes into the air shaft. In a neat little shot, he leans down from the ceiling and swoops up one human without the other humans seeing it. It's okay, it was the asshole who had a hand in starting the virus.

Not the best and not the worst.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 06-08-08 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-09-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie was so bad it made my brain hurt.

Really, really, REALLY bad. Not even worth a rental.
Old 06-25-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it better than Diary of the Dead.
Old 06-25-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
This movie was so bad it made my brain hurt.

Really, really, REALLY bad. Not even worth a rental.
Believe this guy, PLEASE!!! I'll go even further, it's not even worth a watch on HBO. Someone needs to ban Steve Miner from any and all movie sets.
Old 06-25-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I rented this a few weeks ago and wow...
Old 07-28-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the love of GOD, please, do not see this movie.

Sorry to bump this up to the top, but if I can stop just ONE person from seeing this movie, I'll have made the world a better place.

I just saw this steaming turd last night. I won't even go into the details about why it sucks (Nick Cannon, super-natural zombies, HORRIBLE dialogue, the list goes on and on and on). If for some weird reason you want to support the movie company or Steve Miner, then rent it, and then simply drop it in the return slot on the way out of the video store.

P.S. The thing that bothered me as much as anything about this movie (it's silly, I know), is the fact that Mena Suvari plays a Corporal, and she's referred to as "Ma'am" three different times by a Private. Am I the only one who's bothered by laziness? A little research goes a long way. She's not an officer, therefore, she's not a "Ma'am", nor is a male a "Sir".

Last edited by modfather; 07-28-08 at 12:58 PM.