Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

POTC: Dead Man's Chest --- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

POTC: Dead Man's Chest --- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
The P?
Yeah, I think it's the one Will's father put on him.
Old 07-11-06, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, I think it's the one Will's father put on him.
Did they mention this somewhere? I thought we were supposed to conclude (during a not-too-subtle scene transition) that Jack got it from a run-in with that guy who tried to arrest Will, Elizabeth and Norrington.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the P was from the east india trading company guy branding him as a pirate.

If you mean the dark thing that showed up in the middle of his hand, I think that was a sign of his debt to Davy Jones?
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, my friend who saw the movie with me said he thought the mark on jack's hand was growing bigger but didn't understand why.
Old 07-11-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure the hand mark was just a sign that it was time to pay up his debt (Davy Jones had given the Black Pearl to Sparrow to captain years ago). So Jack had to either join Davy Jones' cursed crew or give him 100 souls in his place.
Old 07-11-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The black spot was like a tracking device for the Kraken. It would hunt down the bearer of the black spot, which was put there as a signal to pay his debt to Davy Jones. As mentioned, the "P" (which he had in the first film) was a brand that Cutler Beckett put on him, to indicate that he was indeed a Pirate...we don't know what "mark" Jack left on him though.

MATT
Old 07-12-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm more curious about the red mark on his face. I couldn't figure out what it was in the first movie either.

My only problem with this film, and it's a small one, is it's too much of a first half. Meaning, I can't really watch it all on it's own. It's closer to Lord of the Rings or Matrix, where I kind of have to watch the second and third ones together. I would have preferred it to be more like Indiana Jones, where each movie is seperate of each other. That way, I could watch them independantly, whichever mood happens to strike me.

It's a small thought, and won't deter me from watching and buying all three when released.
Old 07-12-06, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Saw it tonight and I liked it. To be honest I think I'll like it a bit more on second viewing.

Davey Jones

BTW, did anyone else's skin feel icky when Davey's barnacled crew was on screen?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-12-06 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 07:42 AM

Saw the movie on Saturday. No complaints. The cliff hangers are definately akin to ESB. If it weren't for the fact that we know Keith Richards will make a cameo in the 3rd film as Jack's dad, you could almost have expected Davy Jones to tell Jack, "No...I am your father!" Ok....maybe that's a little out there.
Old 07-12-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Thought this was good, but not great. They definitely borrowed one from ESB for this film, and it serves little more overall than to set up the third installment down the line. I also think there was bit of Aliens in this one as well, with the whole deal of the Trading Company seeking to use Jones and his crew as a weapon, or at least that's what I think their plan is from what I saw.
Old 07-12-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
The black spot was like a tracking device for the Kraken. It would hunt down the bearer of the black spot, which was put there as a signal to pay his debt to Davy Jones. As mentioned, the "P" (which he had in the first film) was a brand that Cutler Beckett put on him, to indicate that he was indeed a Pirate...we don't know what "mark" Jack left on him though.

MATT
Yeah, I'm thinking that Jack may have cut off his hand with that black spot and threw it away in order to escape from the Kraken, but perhaps that is too obvious.
Old 07-12-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today, during a drive, I reviewed the movie with my wife and my opinions, and conclusions were thus (comparing with the first POTC):

The theater sound was far less enjoyable than POTC #1 was on my home theater setup. Often times I actually turned to the theater speakers to see if I could recognize sound from each direction but could not.

The dialog was often difficult to understand and I missed several spoken words.

The story line was difficult to follow. Davy Jones? Where did he come in to play? Fortunately for my daughter who came with us (she's college age) Sponge Bob taught her about Davy Jones, else she would have had no clue.

Davy Jones and his crew sucked. Compared with the dead in POTC #1, they were cartoon like and hard to take seriously.

The sword fight was wayyy to long.

The villian was wimpy, and that two of the main actors were sentenced to death, then found themselves roaming free was hokey.

Finally, Johnny Depp, who I enjoy as an actor didn't seem to have his heart in this one.

If #3 is in the can, and it's like this one, they best do some serious editing.
Old 07-12-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw this today and liked it. Not the greatest, but mostly fun. I thought it took a bit to get going, but the last hour was fast-paced and everything you would want from a silly action-comedy-fantasy-adventure.
Old 07-12-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kayak99
Today, during a drive, I reviewed the movie with my wife and my opinions, and conclusions were thus (comparing with the first POTC):

The theater sound was far less enjoyable than POTC #1 was on my home theater setup. Often times I actually turned to the theater speakers to see if I could recognize sound from each direction but could not.

The dialog was often difficult to understand and I missed several spoken words.

The story line was difficult to follow. Davy Jones? Where did he come in to play? Fortunately for my daughter who came with us (she's college age) Sponge Bob taught her about Davy Jones, else she would have had no clue.

Davy Jones and his crew sucked. Compared with the dead in POTC #1, they were cartoon like and hard to take seriously.

The sword fight was wayyy to long.

The villian was wimpy, and that two of the main actors were sentenced to death, then found themselves roaming free was hokey.

Finally, Johnny Depp, who I enjoy as an actor didn't seem to have his heart in this one.

If #3 is in the can, and it's like this one, they best do some serious editing.
Frankly, the Davy Jones Legend was a great addition to a Pirate movie.

More Info on the Davy Jone's Legend

Easy connections here....
In the movie Sparrow made a deal with Jones to raise the Pearl and make him Captian. Jack owes him for the deal. Btw, Jones also "saved" Bootstrap when he was...well...in Davy Jone's Locker...or at the bottom of the sea...when Barbosa led the Pearl's Mutiny against Jack.
Old 07-12-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get ready for pirates 4

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=1569
Old 07-13-06, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will someone please spoil and tell me what happens after the credits?

also what happened at the end of the credits in the first one?
Old 07-13-06, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
First one: Monkey goes back to the cursed loot and steals a coin, thus he is still cursed in the second one. Since he has no crew, he's the only one affected.

Second one: The dog is on the throne as the new god.
Old 07-13-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
First one: Monkey goes back to the cursed loot and steals a coin, thus he is still cursed in the second one. Since he has no crew, he's the only one affected.

Second one: The dog is on the throne as the new god.

Spoiler:
So Barbossa wasn't cursed when he showed up at the end of this one I take it? I'm thinking he wasn't as he was finally able to eat his apple and enjoy its taste.
Old 07-13-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Spoiler:
So Barbossa wasn't cursed when he showed up at the end of this one I take it? I'm thinking he wasn't as he was finally able to eat his apple and enjoy its taste.
Spoiler:
That's what I got from that scene also. Hopefully the 3rd movie will explain how he was revived?
Old 07-13-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Spoiler:
That's what I got from that scene also. Hopefully the 3rd movie will explain how he was revived?
Spoiler:
It's sounds like World's End is some kind of underworld/afterlife. If Barbosa knows that way there and back, I'm assuming he escaped somehow.
Old 07-14-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good movie, enjoyed it. For me my favorite movie of the summer is still Superman Returns though.
Old 07-14-06, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Right. Barbosa and one of the Pirates fighting on the ship were killed only -AFTER- Sparrow returned the final coin to the chest and broke the curse. It is interesting that Barbosa was with the Voodoo babe. I can't wait to see where this is going and how he came back.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-14-06 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Think back to the first one my friends..

"You've seen a ship with black sails, that's crewed by the damned and captained by a man so evil that hell itself spat him back out?"

I'm sure he found his way out of "worlds end" and thus can be the perfect guide the crew there.
Old 07-14-06, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Has anyone else heard about this? Is it true?
Old 07-15-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally caught it today...in a surprisingly busy theater for an 11 AM show. No need to go on about what was right or wrong as it's not exactly a serious film. A few bits were overly silly I guess (swordfight on the beach and bits of the cannibal escape), but I think they probably got the tone they were looking for. It didn't feel overly long to me, but it did feel like nothing was resolved...making it kind of a weak standalone movie.

All that said, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.