Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

POTC: Dead Man's Chest --- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

POTC: Dead Man's Chest --- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I saw Pirates a 2nd time Sunday and the theater was almost full for the Noon showing.

One thing I didn't see the first time but I noticed on 2nd viewing was
Spoiler:
later after the monkey was released by the Voodoo chick, there was a quick shot where that wooden eyed guy looked into a room and the monkey was sitting next to what apeared to be the booted feet of someone lying down. I'm assuming those were Barbosa's.
I noticed the shot but for some reason I didn't connect it with the reveal. I just thought it was some dead body the voodoo woman had.

Did anyone else think the score was severely lacking in this one? It seemed very pedestrian in comparison to the first.
Old 07-17-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Did anyone else think the score was severely lacking in this one? It seemed very pedestrian in comparison to the first.
I wouldn't call it severely lacking, but I do feel that it doesn't quite measure up to the first score.

I don't know all of the details, but Badelt's absence was evident to me. I realize that Zimmer was the "over-producer" of the first score, and that the way Media Ventures (now Remote Control Productions) scores a film is more of a collaborative effort, but one of the interviews I read about the way Badelt and his team scored the first film gave a pretty good indication of how hands-on a team leader he was.
Old 07-17-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Spoiler:
That's what I got from that scene also. Hopefully the 3rd movie will explain how he was revived?
Spoiler:
My best guess is Jack's bullet didn't kill Barbosa at the end of the first movie.
Old 07-17-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Spoiler:
You figure that you need a guide to get you to worlds end. Who else is better than someone who has traveled there and back already?
Old 07-18-06, 12:39 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Spoiler:
My best guess is Jack's bullet didn't kill Barbosa at the end of the first movie.
That would be an utterly lame excuse. Then again, I really can't think of a satisfactory one.
Old 07-18-06, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
HE'S THE GUIDE!! GUIDES HAVE TO HAVE GONE DOWN THE SAME ROAD TO BE A GUIDE!!! Common sense here.
Old 07-18-06, 04:19 AM
Banned by request

It's still lame.
Old 07-18-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing Barbosa made the same deal with Davy Jones that Sparrow did. Barbosa now gets the Black Pearl back.

Just a guess.
Old 07-18-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 206 Posts
I'm guessing it is his twin brother Darbosa.
Old 07-18-06, 02:50 PM
Banned by request

Old 07-18-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie just seemed like a lot of filler to me. Liked Davy Jones and really enjoyed the scrabbling for the key. Interesting in who ended up with the treasure and what was wanted for it. Looking forward to the conclusion, just didn't enjoy this as much as the first one.
Old 07-18-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,117 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
The black spot was like a tracking device for the Kraken. It would hunt down the bearer of the black spot, which was put there as a signal to pay his debt to Davy Jones. As mentioned, the "P" (which he had in the first film) was a brand that Cutler Beckett put on him, to indicate that he was indeed a Pirate...we don't know what "mark" Jack left on him though.

MATT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like the "P" was on Jack's left wrist in the first film and one his right wrist in the second. Did I see it wrong?
Old 07-18-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm thinking you need glasses. The CG Davy Jones and crew were easily superior to the dead crew in the first film. Cartoony is certainly not the right word because there was nothing cartoony about them. It's really no comparison. The effects in the first film were terrific. But they weren't that terrific. Look no further than Davy Jones and the shot of the hammerhead shark guy coming up out of the water in broad daylight.
The CG Davy Jones and his voice were both very well-done, but his hair/beard just looked silly. It looks like a bunch of long noodles attached to his face and it was difficult to try not laugh out loud with all his close-ups. His crew was cool at all angles though.

Still, those certain scenes from the first pirates movie in which jack and barbossa got to show off their switching back and forth to skeletons were better. Though Davy Jones' crew was better than barbossa's crew.
Old 07-19-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I was thinking about seeing a movie tonight so I stopped by my favorite theater to see what was playing. Pirates' 9:20pm showing...SOLD OUT. Wow, I thought things would have settled by now. Not bad for a "school night".
Old 07-19-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ranger
The CG Davy Jones and his voice were both very well-done, but his hair/beard just looked silly. It looks like a bunch of long noodles attached to his face and it was difficult to try not laugh out loud with all his close-ups. His crew was cool at all angles though.

Old 07-19-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 07-19-06, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The cool thing is I'm pretty sure the character was a Filipino(from the Phillipines) character. I was with a largely Asian crowd both times I saw POTCDMC and the reaction to this character was positive from the audience. Especially when he was speaking his native tongue. They loved it.
And I'm looking forward to the subtitles on the DVD just to see how much dialogue I couldn't understand!

Yeah, I see your point but let us not forget, and I know you don't need to be reminded of this , it's still a DISNEY movie. So over the top and cartoony characters seem to fit the bill. After all, Sparrow's appeal from the 1st movie was his over the top cartoony performance.
Speaking of DISNEY, anybody notice any new nods from the ride? I caught a few:

-Guy getting dunked into a well
-Two musicians (1 with a guitar. The other with an accordion) seen at the tavern in Tortuga
Spoiler:
-Pirate shoots a wide load of hoisted gun powder (And rum) to cause an explosion
Old 07-19-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 456 Posts
The cool thing is I'm pretty sure the character was a Filipino(from the Phillipines) character. I was with a largely Asian crowd both times I saw POTCDMC and the reaction to this character was positive from the audience. Especially when he was speaking his native tongue. They loved it.
The headless character was speaking Cantonese. My wife speaks Cantonese, and I'm learning it and know a little. He was saying "over here" a lot of the time, trying to direct the rest of his body to him.
Old 07-19-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The headless character was speaking Cantonese. My wife speaks Cantonese, and I'm learning it and know a little. He was saying "over here" a lot of the time, trying to direct the rest of his body to him.

OH ok, thanks! I wasn't sure and my ears thought it what i said. Then that's even funnier because when I saw it the second time I was in the San Gabriel Valley here in CA and there's a large Asian population and I think Chinese is dominant group.
Old 07-19-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And I'm looking forward to the subtitles on the DVD just to see how much dialogue I couldn't understand!

Speaking of DISNEY, anybody notice any new nods from the ride? I caught a few:

-Guy getting dunked into a well
-Two musicians (1 with a guitar. The other with an accordion) seen at the tavern in Tortuga
Spoiler:
-Pirate shoots a wide load of hoisted gun powder (And rum) to cause an explosion
The Swamp where the Voodoo woman lives is from the the first part of the ride.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-19-06 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

The Swamp where the Voodoo woman lives is from the the first part of the ride.
Damn! I didn't even catch that.

I saw some ad saying Jack Sparrow would be added into the POTC ride. Has this happened yet?
Old 07-19-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking about seeing a movie tonight so I stopped by my favorite theater to see what was playing. Pirates' 9:20pm showing...SOLD OUT. Wow, I thought things would have settled by now. Not bad for a "school night".

For those who keep track of these things DMC also has the records by far for highest grossing non-holiday 2nd week Monday & Tuesday totals.
Old 07-19-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw some ad saying Jack Sparrow would be added into the POTC ride. Has this happened yet?
Yup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQ5eWBlApY
Old 07-19-06, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by matome
For those who keep track of these things DMC also has the records by far for highest grossing non-holiday 2nd week Monday & Tuesday totals.
These are impressive numbers. It looks like it will break the fastest to 300mil record on saturday. This is going to do no less than 400mil imo.
Old 07-19-06, 06:59 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
That was really cool, thanks for the link!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.