Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Quiet Earth" (1985): Thoughts?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm watching this fantastic sci-fi/thriller from New Zealand that came out on DVD today and I can't believe I never heard about it before.(*) The picture, the sound and the music are truly magnificent. It's thoughtful, it's stylish, it's Hitchcockian, it's different, it's well-acted and the only thing dated about it - 30 minutes in - is the logo of the evil corporation the hero worked for (sooooo 80's ugly!) and the primitive computer graphics.

I'm going back to watch the rest.

I would appreciate any insight on this film. Thanks.

(*) I can only guess it never played on North-American TV because of all the exposed New Zealand willie.

[Later the same day:] Well, I saw it! It's a thoroughly satisfying experience. I guess I'm not used to watching films with thought-provoking, enigmatic endings anymore and I admit I had to replay the producer-writer's commentary at the end to confirm my understanding of the "meaning" of it all. Still, a superior film. One minor flaw: the absence of subtitles on the DVD made it difficult (for me, anyway) to understand the English of the Maori character. I think I got most of it by replaying the troublesome lines more than once.

WARNING: Beware the trailer. It reveals too much and it's everything a trailer shouldn't be: long and boring.

Last edited by baracine; 06-13-06 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-16-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I remember seeing this movie about 20 years ago on UK TV. I enjoyed it and for some reason the only bit i remember now is when he goes nuts and starts running around wearing a dresss and carrying a rifle. I remember i liked the film, although as usual the perfomances from down under were not great. But i think overall its a bit of a gem that got missed by a lot of people.
Old 06-16-06, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by james2025a
I remember seeing this movie about 20 years ago on UK TV. I enjoyed it and for some reason the only bit i remember now is when he goes nuts and starts running around wearing a dresss and carrying a rifle. I remember i liked the film, although as usual the perfomances from down under were not great. But i think overall its a bit of a gem that got missed by a lot of people.
It never occurred to me that people from the UK might look down upon New-Zealanders as inferior actors but it does make sense upon reflexion. I can vouch, however, that as a colonial French-Canadian, I find Bruno Lawrence's performance exceptional in every respect, even if I have reservations about Pete Smith's character's use of the English language (that's the Maori thug) and Alison Routledge's oh-so-refined pronunciation.

Last edited by baracine; 06-16-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-16-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented it several years ago on VHS, and I thought it was a great movie. I'm looking forward to getting the DVD.
Old 06-16-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
It never occurred to me that people from the UK might look down upon New-Zelanders as inferior actors but it does make sense upon reflexion. I can vouch, however, that as colonial French-Canadian, I find Bruno Lawrence's performance exceptional in every respect, even if I have reservations about Pete Smith's character's use of the English language (that's the Maori thug) and Alison Routledge's oh-so-refined pronunciation.
Well the amount of TV and movies that are shown on British TV in tremendous. And believe me....if you ever have the unfortunate opportunity to watch any of them you might see my point. Neighbours, Home and Away, Prisoner Cell Block H...the list is endless...and the acting is never good. I admit that there are some good actors from NZ and Austrailia, and even some good movies.....but the number of trash actors and movies far outweighs it....IMO.
Old 06-16-06, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well the amount of TV and movies that are shown on British TV in tremendous. And believe me....if you ever have the unfortunate opportunity to watch any of them you might see my point. Neighbours, Home and Away, Prisoner Cell Block H...the list is endless...and the acting is never good. I admit that there are some good actors from NZ and Austrailia, and even some good movies.....but the number of trash actors and movies far outweighs it....IMO.
You know you're only making little Peter Jackson cry...
Old 06-16-06, 02:10 PM
Banned

I worked at a record (well...CD) store that rented movies and we had some pretty obscure titles. I remember really liking this one on my first and better on my second viewing (awesome freakin' ending).

I will at the very least rent this. It was about 15 years ago and I want to see how well it holds up with how cool I remember it. I am anticipating having a finer appreciation for it at my current age and if I'm right, ...*ching* *ching* -purchase.
Old 06-16-06, 02:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Good flick. Haven't seen it in several years though. Will have to rent this and see how it held up.
Old 06-16-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember seeing this in a theater during its original limited theatrical run in the U.S. (there was an advantage to living in a college town with a film school). I haven't seen it since. I'll have to check it out soon.
Old 06-16-06, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I remember seeing this in a theater during its original limited theatrical run in the U.S. (there was an advantage to living in a college town with a film school). I haven't seen it since. I'll have to check it out soon.
According to the DVD commentary by the film's producer, The Quiet Earth was the sixth top-grossing foreign film ever in the US at the time of its release. Makes me wonder what the others were. I mean besides La Dolce Vita...
Old 06-20-06, 07:10 AM
Suspended

DVD Savant's review: lukewarm...

http://www.dvdsavant.com/s2033quie.html
Old 06-20-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I remember watching it on Cinemax a lonnnggg time again (1988, maybe?) and liking it as good "Thinking Sci-Fi" but then never hearing of it again.

(And it was on my personal list of "Movies MIA from DVD" so I guess I can mark it off that list.)
Old 06-21-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Just watched this tonight and i thought it was alright.
One thing i still don't understand though:
Spoiler:
How did almost everyone that died completely dissapear? IIRC correctly, everyone vanished except the 2 people in the car they found and the one guy at the satellite place. I assumed that it was because everyone else were Jedi Masters, but i wanted to get confirmation on that.

On a side note, i loved the steelbook case this DVD comes in, but the security sticker was more of a bitch to get off of this particular case than usual.

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-21-06 at 11:53 PM.