Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 D: Marquand) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Williams

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 D: Marquand) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Williams

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 D: Marquand) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Williams

“diarrhetic sound” also works.
The following users liked this post:
Toddarino (05-11-23)
Old 05-10-23, 11:45 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 D: Marquand) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Williams

Jedi rocks sucks, but the thing that bugs me, and puzzles me that it has never been fixed is the reverse shot of Boba. Why did they not fix that.
Old 05-11-23, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
but the thing that bugs me, and puzzles me that it has never been fixed is the reverse shot of Boba. Why did they not fix that.
The reversed shot isn't a mistake, it was done so that he's aiming in the direction of Leia. If they "fixed it", it would look weird, and people would be asking, "Why does Boba Fett point his gun in the opposite direction of the threat?"
Old 05-11-23, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

One could argue the reverse shot is a continuity error, even if done deliberately to fix another issue with the shot.

I found this clip of someone doing a rough fix of the shot:

Edit: I think even if you fix all the costume issues, you still have the issue that Boba is holding the gun the wrong way. Maybe Lucasfilm could paint Boba out of the shot, and shoot an actor in the suit facing and aiming the right way and insert that into it; it's not like you need the same actor, since it's all costume. You could even do a CGI character if it's realistic enough.

However, I must say it probably hasn't been fixed because it's not noticeable to most people. It's a quick shot, and it works well enough. Lucas only seemed interesting in "fixing" things that stuck out to him, or that he had new ideas about before/after making the prequels. It seems like the lower-end techs occasionally were able to fit in some smaller fixes, but the smaller fixes weren't really what was driving these new edits.

Last edited by Jay G.; 05-11-23 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-11-23, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
That's why I'm so disappointed in Lucas for not recognizing how thoughtful and artistic the original is, and that he replaces it with something that calls complete attention to itself. .
I don't want to diminish what Lucas did, but I think most of the success of the original Star Wars films comes from the fact that (either through luck or having a good eye for talent), Lucas managed to surround himself with the best in the business who were also forced to work under MAJOR budget and technology constraints. So everyone had to be creative as hell and it shows in the final product.

Then you get to the prequels where Lucas had an unlimited budget and access to incredible technology. And then we see what happens when anything Lucas wants, Lucas gets. Point being, I think Lucas would have done "Jedi Rocks" the first time around if he could have.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
Crocker Jarmen (05-11-23), IBJoel (05-11-23), tanman (05-12-23)
Old 05-11-23, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

^ Also known as “Peter Jackson syndrome”
Old 05-11-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't want to diminish what Lucas did, but I think most of the success of the original Star Wars films comes from the fact that (either through luck or having a good eye for talent), Lucas managed to surround himself with the best in the business who were also forced to work under MAJOR budget and technology constraints. So everyone had to be creative as hell and it shows in the final product.

Then you get to the prequels where Lucas had an unlimited budget and access to incredible technology. And then we see what happens when anything Lucas wants, Lucas gets. Point being, I think Lucas would have done "Jedi Rocks" the first time around if he could have.
Lucas has said that he thought it would be funny to have a musical number in a Star Wars movie. They did the best they could in the original, but the Sy Snootles puppet wasn't particularly convincing, so they didn't really feature the song the way they probably wanted to. I think the difference is that as unconvincing as the puppet is, it at least matches the aesthetic of the movie. If they had used the cgi to enhance the original, it might have worked.

What's interesting is to see what happened a year later when they decided to put a musical sequence into Indiana Jones. I'm going to assume that Spielberg and his love of Busby Berkeley was the driving creative force there and it's amazing how well that sequence works. It's completely superfluous and exists purely to satisfy the whims of the filmmakers, like the one in Jedi, but unlike Jedi it's one of the highlights of the movie
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Crocker Jarmen (05-11-23), story (05-12-23)
Old 05-11-23, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Lucas has said that he thought it would be funny to have a musical number in a Star Wars movie. They did the best they could in the original, but the Sy Snootles puppet wasn't particularly convincing, so they didn't really feature the song the way they probably wanted to. I think the difference is that as unconvincing as the puppet is, it at least matches the aesthetic of the movie. If they had used the cgi to enhance the original, it might have worked.

What's interesting is to see what happened a year later when they decided to put a musical sequence into Indiana Jones. I'm going to assume that Spielberg and his love of Busby Berkeley was the driving creative force there and it's amazing how well that sequence works. It's completely superfluous and exists purely to satisfy the whims of the filmmakers, like the one in Jedi, but unlike Jedi it's one of the highlights of the movie
Because it fits with the setting and tone of that section of the film. Club Obi-Wan is very much a "Let's all have a good time here at the picture show" sequence and in Jedi, Jabba executes a sex slave in his crackden right after the song ends and it's tonally very weird. The music and lighting on either side of the song are very dark. I know The Last Jedi is divisive, so not to dredge up a whole conversation about it, but you can make a song and dance number fit so much better in the Canto Bight sequence. I'm not saying one should be there, but it would work a lot better in comparison.

You could even fit it better in Empire on Cloud City or in Attack of the Clones with the Anakin/Padme scenes sort of. You have the characters take in a show while the romance plots are in full swing.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Crocker Jarmen (05-11-23), story (05-12-23)
Old 05-11-23, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

We did get some sort of opera in Revenge of the Sith, the scene where Palpatine tells Anakin the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis.
IBJoel (05-12-23)
Old 05-12-23, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ Also known as “Peter Jackson syndrome”
To be fair wasn't it the studios that wanted three movies out of the Hobbit? It's a shame too because the movies are fine. Just. so. much. fat. And that's coming from someone who loved all ten endings of the RotK. One three hour movie. Or even two two hour movies would have been great.
Old 05-12-23, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Because it fits with the setting and tone of that section of the film. Club Obi-Wan is very much a "Let's all have a good time here at the picture show" sequence and in Jedi, Jabba executes a sex slave in his crackden right after the song ends and it's tonally very weird. The music and lighting on either side of the song are very dark. I know The Last Jedi is divisive, so not to dredge up a whole conversation about it, but you can make a song and dance number fit so much better in the Canto Bight sequence. I'm not saying one should be there, but it would work a lot better in comparison.

You could even fit it better in Empire on Cloud City or in Attack of the Clones with the Anakin/Padme scenes sort of. You have the characters take in a show while the romance plots are in full swing.
Whoa whoa whoa lets leave Empire alone now.

I agree I think it is a tonal thing. And like someone else brought up it doesn't feel like it's in universe. The previous music felt like it was coming from Max Reebo and we were just observing what was going on in Jabba's palace. Jedi rocks the CGI creature thing is singing at the audience almost to the point of where you expect it to grab the camera and look right in it. Plus it hasn't aged well at all, the music itself feels way too contemporary. It's just horribly executed. But at least it has no bearing on the plot or the characters so it has that going for it.

Old 05-12-23, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Whoa whoa whoa lets leave Empire alone now.

I agree I think it is a tonal thing. And like someone else brought up it doesn't feel like it's in universe. The previous music felt like it was coming from Max Reebo and we were just observing what was going on in Jabba's palace. Jedi rocks the CGI creature thing is singing at the audience almost to the point of where you expect it to grab the camera and look right in it. Plus it hasn't aged well at all, the music itself feels way too contemporary. It's just horribly executed. But at least it has no bearing on the plot or the characters so it has that going for it.
Oh I'm definitely not saying do anything to Empire. In fact, strip out that stupid Temuera Morrison ADR and go back to hiding the Wampa. I'll never be harsh on anyone for mentioning stuff like 4K77 or the Harmy Cut on the forum. I'm just saying, gun to my head, if the song/sequence HAS to be put somewhere.
Old 05-12-23, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The original song in Jedi was bluesy/sleazy sounding and was perfect for the mood of the scene. I wonder if it would be better if they had left the original song but then did the CGI of just the original characters. I mean, none of it was necessary to change in my opinion, but if they're gonna do something then that would have been better.
IBJoel (05-12-23)
Old 05-13-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Something I learned from the Light & Magic docuseries on Disney+:

During pre-production, George Lucas decided he wanted a song like "Super Freak" by Rick James performed in Jabba's palace. That's what the puppeteers used as the first temp track when rehearsing the scene in the creature shop.
milo bloom (05-14-23)