Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Four II - June 15/07 (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fantastic Four II - June 15/07 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maingon
I liked Stan Lees cameo in this movie, I thought it was his best cameo in all the marvel movies so far, but he needs to stop the cameos.
His cameos are generally fun and harmless. Why say he needs to stop them?
Old 06-24-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
I liked Stan Lees cameo in this movie, I thought it was his best cameo in all the marvel movies so far, but he needs to stop the cameos.
How old is he? The guy can't have too many years left in him. Let him have his fun.
Old 06-24-07, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
How old is he? The guy can't have too many years left in him. Let him have his fun.
He will be 86 in December according to Wikipedia. I agree the cameos are harmless. He is always in the background for a split second, so unless you actually know who he is, you would never see him.

Going slightly off-topic, I just started watching the Heroes TV show, and Stan Lee had a cameo in one episode as a bus driver. Did Stan Lee have something to do with creating that TV show? I didn't know he or Marvel were involved with it.
Old 06-24-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Stan Lee's guest shot at Heroes was simply to tip the hat to the old crazy man. Nothing more.

Marvel ISN'T involved. The closest you can really say to it is that Jeph Loeb, one of the writers for Marvel is one of the exec. producers.
Old 06-24-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
US numbers at about $97m now. Not bad.

Just read that the first film made $154m in the U.S. - if the sequel doesn't beat that or the $130m budget with the US figures alone, will it be considered weak?
Old 06-24-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Keep the Stan Lee cameos coming!

I've been a fan of Stan's for almost 35 years, and while he is a bit of a "crazy old man," he's still entertaining as hell! I loved his cameos in Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2, they were great 10 second appearances.

If you don't like them, close your eyes for 10 seconds and he'll be gone.

I think he earned the right to have these cameos since none of these movies would have happened if he hadn't created the characters in the first place.

(By the way, Stan started writing comic books back in the 1940's.)
Old 06-24-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
(and stop writing anything note worthy in the 70's)
Old 06-24-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
(and stop writing anything note worthy in the 70's)
So what?

He took on the role of publisher and President of Marvel in the 70's - he was a little too busy to write at that point, besides - after 30+ years of writing comics I'd say he paid his dues.

Stan is the man. I don't care how long it's been since he did anything great - he's still fun to watch when he does interviews and cameos. I still have great appreciation for the work the he did from 1961 to the early 70's. That was some brilliant, groundbreaking stuff.
Old 06-24-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And another thing about Stan Lee: He never wrote down to his audience. He said he tried to write at a high school or college level. Most comic books today are written to a grade school level. Stan brought it when he wrote, and it showed.

And to call him crazy is...well, crazy. He's not lost any of his marbles. I don't think enthusiasm should be misconstrued for craziness. Give the man some respect. I know his recent direct to DVD product sucks, but don't crap on the man's work for that. And so what if he stopped writing in the 70's? Johnny Carson stopped hosting late night TV in the early 90s and even after he died he's still considered the King of Late Night. Stan will always be The Man.
Old 06-25-07, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

All I gots to say is:

http://www.scifi.com/harpies/

Jason Avery is a security guard at the Museum of Natural History in New York, which is the home of an ornate chalice with intricate carvings of female winged monsters called Harpies.

During the night gunmen break in and the Harpy chalice is knocked to the ground. Jason picks it up and as the lid falls off a terrifying shrieking noise is heard as he is sucked into the chalice.

Jason is thrown back in time to The Dark Ages where a village is being terrorized by hideous flying Harpy creatures that slash at their enemies with fangs and claws.
Jason must now fight his way back to the 21st Century by seeking out the Harpy chalice which is the key to the time portal between these two worlds.
I call it a bit of the crazies.
Old 06-25-07, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
So I caught this today using the movie cash ticket (which they put down for the full price of $10.50 ). Yes, it was better than the first. However, I didn't like the first movie so that's not saying much.

Again, it's Chiklis and Evans (more of the latter) that made me enjoy the film. I was hoping Iaon and Alba would leave.

All this hubbub about Galactus being shown in shadow/silhouette, I don't get it. I saw nothing. That shadow against Saturn is not his head. I saw nothing in outline in the cloud.
Old 06-25-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Keep the Stan Lee cameos coming!

I've been a fan of Stan's for almost 35 years, and while he is a bit of a "crazy old man," he's still entertaining as hell! I loved his cameos in Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2, they were great 10 second appearances.

If you don't like them, close your eyes for 10 seconds and he'll be gone.

I think he earned the right to have these cameos since none of these movies would have happened if he hadn't created the characters in the first place.

(By the way, Stan started writing comic books back in the 1940's.)
I always enjoy them too. If they can't respect the source material, at least they respect the source.
Old 06-25-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Took my son to see this over the weekend and we both enjoyed it very much

I saw nothing that looked like Galactus...and I was looking...hard
Old 06-25-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
US numbers at about $97m now. Not bad.

Just read that the first film made $154m in the U.S. - if the sequel doesn't beat that or the $130m budget with the US figures alone, will it be considered weak?
I dont think it shouldnt be considered weak, this summers jampacked with huge movies, they dont have any room to breath other then opening weekend and its first week.
Old 06-25-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So I caught this today using the movie cash ticket (which they put down for the full price of $10.50 ). Yes, it was better than the first. However, I didn't like the first movie so that's not saying much.

Again, it's Chiklis and Evans (more of the latter) that made me enjoy the film. I was hoping Iaon and Alba would leave.

All this hubbub about Galactus being shown in shadow/silhouette, I don't get it. I saw nothing. That shadow against Saturn is not his head. I saw nothing in outline in the cloud.
The shadow on Saturn was obviously a wink to all the bitchers and moaners, come on. But you CAN see his helmet and head screaming out in the flames (MADE OF FLAMES) in his final scene. I've seen it twice (both free, boo-YAH) and it is there. When people start getting copies of this thing, we can get a bump on this thread and it'll be settled.

-Doc
Old 06-25-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
All I gots to say is:

http://www.scifi.com/harpies/

I call it a bit of the crazies.
Stan Lee neither wrote it or directed it. Why is his name even on that project? Did he finance it? Or a company he owns financed it? Still, you can't call HIM crazy because of the craptacular plot..it's not even written or directed by him. Giving out his name for any random project is a bad decision, I'd agree...I wish he'd get somebody who would tell him those projects stink.
Old 07-05-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
I was pretty disappointed in it, and I really enjoyed the first one. Jessica Alba - there was something that didn't look quite right about her the whole movie. Don't know if it was the wig, makeup, or what, but I would have almost thought they used a second unit stand-in the whole time.
100% agreement.

She just looked "odd" during some of the early scenes, and I spent more time wondering how a movie could make Alba not look attractive.
Old 07-05-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
I was pretty disappointed in it, and I really enjoyed the first one. Jessica Alba - there was something that didn't look quite right about her the whole movie. Don't know if it was the wig, makeup, or what, but I would have almost thought they used a second unit stand-in the whole time.
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
100% agreement.

She just looked "odd" during some of the early scenes, and I spent more time wondering how a movie could make Alba not look attractive.
I think the combination of the all blonde wig and the blue-eyed contacts is what made her look "off" to me during the movie. X-Men managed to do this with Halle Berry too.

Not a bad summer flick, I wonder if there will be an extended version available like the first movie at some point?
Old 07-15-07, 02:36 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
just watched this, was good fun but nothing mindblowing

Jessica Alba did look weird, what was up with that ?

Mr Fantastic's effects in the dancing scene were embarrasingly bad but the silver surfer effects were good.

Didn't really like Doom in the movie.

Better than Spidey 3, not as good as Transformers or Diehard 4
Old 07-15-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I caught this opening weekend and thought it was a fun popcorn flick.

It's actually refreshing to get a comic book movie without really dark, brooding superheroes. Sure, it's right for Batman or the Punisher, but I thought it was a bit much for the latest Superman. And FF? Nope. Okay, maybe Ben Grimm should brood a bit...
Old 07-15-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has there been any word in the media about a third Fantastic Four movie? Since this film will break even in the U.S. and show a decent profit with the foreign ticket sales included I wonder what the studio is planning.
Old 07-15-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duality
Has there been any word in the media about a third Fantastic Four movie? Since this film will break even in the U.S. and show a decent profit with the foreign ticket sales included I wonder what the studio is planning.
It will not break even in the US. The production budget is $130 million. That doesn't include marketing costs.
Old 07-16-07, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cactusoly
Stan is not in every Marvel movie, I was dissapointed that he wasn't in Ghost Rider.
I seem to remember reading a while back that he's only doing the cameos in movies in which he had a hand in creating the character. As far as I know he didn't have anything to do with the creation of Ghost Rider.
Old 07-16-07, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

Jessica Alba did look weird, what was up with that ?

Mr Fantastic's effects in the dancing scene were embarrasingly bad but the silver surfer effects were good.
Amen to Alba's "off" look! She looked acceptable in the first movie, but in this one I swear she looked like one of the Wayan's Bros. in "White Chicks!"

And I agree about Mr. Fantastic's stretching scenes. They seemed state of the art for 1995. It was as if there was no detail or texturing on his skin or clothes when he'd stretch. Maybe it's just not possible to show a person realistically stretching. Maybe it's just such an unnatural and impossible sight, NO effects house can do it realistically.
Old 07-18-07, 09:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
just watched this, was good fun but nothing mindblowing

Better than Spidey 3, not as good as Transformers or Diehard 4
Agreed. Good fun, well worth the price ($5 for the extended DVD of the first w/ free movie ticket to this).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.