Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Lake House

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
I ordered Il Mare on your and others' recommendations after seeing The Lake House. It arrived today and my wife and I just watched it.

What a wonderful film! Beautifully shot, beautiful music, wonderful performances. A little more subtle than The Lake House with less given away as it went along. I like both films but would have to say I prefer Il Mare for its gentler touch. Thanks so much for the recommendation.
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Which DVD did you buy? I'm just curious as to what you thought about the Subtitles.
Old 06-29-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliosphann
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Which DVD did you buy? I'm just curious as to what you thought about the Subtitles.
I bought the Edko (it has a good Korean language DTS track) because of your warning about the Spectrum subtitles. $9.95 at CD Wow. These subtitles were quite good (white with a black border around each letter, very readable even when projected over a white background, also pretty good English with a few errors in spelling and grammar, seemed to accurately reflect what was going on) except that when there was a long subtitle the end was cut off many times. It would just stop in midsentence, even in midword. At times they expanded a long line (by the speaker) to two lines (on the screen) so one has to wonder why they didn't do that every time it was necessary. Most of the time it wasn't difficult to figure out what was missing but it was distracting. But unlike the Spectrum, you don't have to decipher the English at least.

Surprisingly, it wasn't anamorphic. Still, the picture was clear although a bit soft. That wasn't as bothersome as the cut off subtitles.

Apparently, no one has put this film on DVD as it should be. Given the good job Edko did with my House of Flying Daggers DVD, I have to be somewhat disappointed in the Il Mare DVD but definitely not in the film itself.
Old 06-29-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I bought the Edko (it has a good Korean language DTS track) because of your warning about the Spectrum subtitles. $9.95 at CD Wow. These subtitles were quite good (white with a black border around each letter, very readable even when projected over a white background, also pretty good English with a few errors in spelling and grammar, seemed to accurately reflect what was going on) except that when there was a long subtitle the end was cut off many times. It would just stop in midsentence, even in midword. At times they expanded a long line (by the speaker) to two lines (on the screen) so one has to wonder why they didn't do that every time it was necessary. Most of the time it wasn't difficult to figure out what was missing but it was distracting. But unlike the Spectrum, you don't have to decipher the English at least.

Surprisingly, it wasn't anamorphic. Still, the picture was clear although a bit soft. That wasn't as bothersome as the cut off subtitles.

Apparently, no one has put this film on DVD as it should be. Given the good job Edko did with my House of Flying Daggers DVD, I have to be somewhat disappointed in the Il Mare DVD but definitely not in the film itself.
Hmmm. Sounds like I should get the Edko disc, rip the subs off of it and put them on a DVDR with the Spectrum re-release transfer.

Hopefully a US distributor will pick up the rights to Il Mare and put together a solid DVD release.

Last edited by Heliosphann; 06-29-06 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-05-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just returned from watching this. I was rather disappointed. The chemistry between the leads was great, but the story was completely predictable.

Spoiler:
I don't see how it wasn't completely obvious to everyone that he was dead. My friend and I both figured this out as soon as it showed the crash, but everyone else in the theater seemed shocked when it was revealed he had died.

The whole paradox thing hurt the whole film for me. If he didn't get hit by the bus, then she would never have went out to the lake house and discovered the magic mailbox. He should have stayed dead for this movie to work. And where the hell was the mailman during the period when he had a shitload of letters crammed in the mailbox.
Old 07-06-06, 11:34 PM

did anyone see this movie? i don't want to know about the damn trailer, tell me what you thought about the movie.
Old 07-07-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by themadchef
did anyone see this movie? i don't want to know about the damn trailer, tell me what you thought about the movie.
Did you even read one single post in this thread? Like the one directly above yours....

Last edited by Gunde; 07-07-06 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Did you even read one single post in this thread? Like the one directly above yours....
Noobs...