Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Lake House

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-06, 02:40 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*high five* to Kal-El; I think it's pretty clear from the posts in this thread, mrhan, that I'm hardly the only one offended by your diarrhea of the mouth...
Old 05-27-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kal-El
You can drop the smugness there dude. It was a legit complaint. Even though I'm still seeing the movie, having the knowledge of what you posted does somehow reduce some enjoyment. When all you had to do was tag your stupid post.
Okay, I'm sorry. Really. Damn, it's just funny that you and that other poster sound like a couple of girls throwing a hissy fit over a chick flick. LOL
Old 05-27-06, 04:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
Okay, I'm sorry. Really.
I believe you and accept.

Damn, it's just funny that you and that other poster sound like a couple of girls throwing a hissy fit over a chick flick. LOL
Scratch that; I don't believe you and I don't accept. Moderators, does this guy at least get a strong warning? First he spoils plotlines, then becomes outright insulting when called on the carpet for it...
Old 05-27-06, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'm sorry. Really. Damn, it's just funny that you and that other poster sound like a couple of girls throwing a hissy fit over a chick flick. LOL
A spoiler is a spoiler is a spoiler.. No matter what movie it's for.

Can he be banned?
Old 05-27-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn, you guys need to relax. I didn't mean to spoil anything. I really meant my apology but I find it so funny how you guys respond to something so insignificant or meaningless in the long run.

Edit: fixed my original post for whoever hasn't clicked on this thread yet. Filmmaker, I suggest you fix yours since it is still clearly being seen there.

Last edited by mrhan; 05-27-06 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, you guys need to relax. I didn't mean to spoil anything. I really meant my apology but I find it so funny how you guys respond to something so insignificant or meaningless in the long run.

Edit: fixed my original post for whoever hasn't clicked on this thread yet. Filmmaker, I suggest you fix yours since it is still clearly being seen there.
What you call "throwing a hissy fit like a little girl", we call frustration. First of all, check which forum you're in. "Movie Talk". So in case you've missed it in the last 4 years you've been registered here, the board is mostly populated by people who love movies. And while for you--and I admit, for me as well, but not to the same degree as yours--what you did may be "insignificant", within the confines of this board and discussion, that was a pretty lousy thing to do and to act all smug and condescending afterwards is just wrong. Why do you think we have a Sticky Thread at the top of the board dedicated to instructing new people on how to post spoiler tags?
Old 06-10-06, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Two thumbs up from Ebert and Roeper.. "One of my favorite movies so far this year." -Roeper. They're both fans of the time travel genre .
Old 06-11-06, 04:56 PM
Banned

you'll learn soon enough this site complains about damn near everything.
Old 06-11-06, 05:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I didn't know this was a remake, but its basic business sense. Most foreign films rarely become hits and the few that do are rarely a blockbuster like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and most of the "big" ones perform modestly at best (Amelie, Cinema Paradiso). There's been a good amount of Hollywood foreign remakes that have become hits (Insomnia, The Ring, Vanilla Sky) over the past few years so you will see the practice continue. The originals tend to only really capture an audience in the art house world or on video.
Originally Posted by whoopdido
I don't really get why some people get so bent out of shape when Hollywood remakes foreign films. It's common sense. Most foreign movies (even the good ones) don't get released in The United States and the VAST majority of Americans are not going to go out of their way watch a foreign film.
and why do you think that is? there's a reason why things are the way they are. some suggested reading...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...22544?n=283155

Last edited by Cygnet74; 06-11-06 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-11-06, 05:04 PM
Banned

anyways, if it were my guess on how the movie would end,
Spoiler:
maybe the guy knows where she'll be one day and goes to meet her or see her, and then is hit by a car and dies, she finds out when she goes to his old job and sees the house he was building for her, then she sends him a letter. he then is able to meet her as she moves in. that would be a nice story.

Last edited by Dead; 06-12-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-17-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoyed the experience of watching the film unfold, though it got a little hairy at the end with the time travel aspect of the notes being exchanged between Alex and Kate, played by Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bulloch, respectively, at the mailbox of a lake house that was occupied by each characters, but 2 years apart. Additionally, the impact of changing events if you could communicate with someone in the past, and other ripples of such changes in the time stream, the mind boggles at times, but thankfully the film doesn't get bogged down in such minutia and moves in step with the burgeoning, and complicated love affair that develops from notes exchanged through a time-portal of a mailbox.

I did like the pairing of Reeves and Bulloch a decade after from their initial pairing in "Speed", the on-screen chemistry was still there.

Yes, there are perhaps some head-scratching levels of non-inquisitiveness shown by Kate of present-day Alex, but it could be explained away by her not wanting to ruin a good thing with the exchange of notes and letters, while being inside a time bubble or sorts.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 06-18-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I enjoyed the experience of watching the film unfold, though it got a little hairy at the end with the time travel aspect of the notes being exchanged between Alex and Kate, played by Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bulloch, respectively, at the mailbox of a lake house that was occupied by each characters, but 2 years apart. Additionally, the impact of changing events if you could communicate with someone in the past, and other ripples of such changes in the time stream, the mind boggles at times, but thankfully the film doesn't get bogged down in such minutia and moves in step with the burgeoning, and complicated love affair that develops from notes exchanged through a time-portal of a mailbox.
I had the same reaction as you. The movie doesn't really bother to explain the time travel or get bogged down in the mechanics, it completely bypasses them and moves on that you don't even stop to think about it.

Until the movie hits a point where it uses the time travel device to change the story/history you don't really think about it...and then it starts falling apart if you think about it too hard (well, maybe at all).

The movie ultimately feels really old fashioned, the romance never takes place in person, only in narration. Its interesting that one would even get sucked into that kind of story, credit for that goes to Bullock and Reeves.

I think if you're inclined to see it, you should and you'll probably like it. If you were turned off by the trailer, then there isn't enough in the movie that will change you mind, so save your money.
Old 06-18-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really tried to suspend belief during this movie...but I couldnt help but have questions pop in my mind about the plausibility and therefore spent more time thinking about it then enjoying the movie.

Thought Sandra Bullock spent most of the time looking down in this movie, but when I saw her face (a lot of close ups) she looked beautiful. Keanu did a surprisingly unstiff acting job her, kinda like in "A Walk in the Clouds" where a romantic lead was believeable with him. I think he looks better as he has aged.

I give it a sideways thumb, just saw it last night and still digesting it.
Old 06-18-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
I figured out the subsequent plot of the entire movie at the earliest possible moment one could. I'm not claiming any particular intelligence because I think it was one of the easiest ever to see coming. It was all I could do to keep from whispering it to my wife who doesn't like to try and figure out what will happen. It also made me want to shout at the screen to the characters who were missing it.

(I spoilerized the above because, while it doesn't give away anything specific, it might make it easier for someone to see what's coming.)

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Both leads were personable, particularly Bullock. One must suspend much disbelief and it probably isn't wise to try and piece together all the time elements because it would at least somewhat fall apart. But I am a total sucker for time travel as in Back to the Future or Frequency so this film had a big head start with me from the beginning. I'd give it ***¼/****.

As an aside, I know it's not something the movie wanted to deal with or was about but if such a thing as this were really to happen, why wouldn't Kate feed Alex a few sports scores so he could get very rich? Then he could hide some of the money and tell her where to look and she could be rich too. As a White Sox fan and because the film was set partly in Chicago, I particularly think telling Alex that the Sox won the 2005 World Series would have been cool. I would expect Alex, upon receiving such information, to say "Whoa!"

I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by movielib; 06-19-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Spoiler:
I figured out the subsequent plot of the entire movie at the earliest possible moment one could. I'm not claiming any particular intelligence because I think it was one of the easiest ever to see coming. It was all I could do to keep from whispering it to my wife who doesn't like to try and figure out what will happen. It also made me want to shout at the screen to the characters who were missing it.

(I spoilerized the above because, while it doesn't give away anything specific, it might make it easier for someone to see what's coming.)
Yeah, I don't know if they were trying to hide that, because it was clearly obvious (to me). Some people gasped when it came up...so I guess not everyone figured it out.
Old 06-19-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have or haven't checked out "The Lake House", I highly recommend you check out the original Korean film, "Il Mare".

Here is my DVD review of "Il Mare": http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22293
Old 06-19-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...just don't check out this version since it's audio is chinese and neglects to include the original Korean.
Old 06-19-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From a basic standpoint, both Il Mare and The Lake House remind me of The Love Letter, a Hallmark movie from 1998 (IMDb link). I'm sure the whole "sappy romantic time travel pen pals" theme goes back much further. Just an observation.
Old 06-19-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
From a basic standpoint, both Il Mare and The Lake House remind me of The Love Letter, a Hallmark movie from 1998 (IMDb link). I'm sure the whole "sappy romantic time travel pen pals" theme goes back much further. Just an observation.
Hallmark movie huh???

I'll let you off the hook since it has Jennifer Jason Leigh in it.

Old 06-19-06, 01:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

I did like the pairing of Reeves and Bulloch a decade after from their initial pairing in "Speed", the on-screen chemistry was still there.

Yes, there are perhaps some head-scratching levels of non-inquisitiveness shown by Kate of present-day Alex, but it could be explained away by her not wanting to ruin a good thing with the exchange of notes and letters, while being inside a time bubble or sorts.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
I agree, the pairing again, worked for me as well.

As a fantasy-romance film I quite enjoyed it.
Old 06-19-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
My wife read a short story many years ago that used the same concept. So, the movies could all draw from that. I think she said in the short story, the number of letters they could was limited and they knew they'd lose contact with each other.

Haven't seen "The Love Letter" so I don't know what happens there.
Old 06-20-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this flick tonight and really liked it. I got confused in some parts but liked it overall. Reeves and Bullock still have the fire between them.
Old 06-21-06, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I liked it a lot. At times it does get kind of annoying trying to figure out the 2 year time difference thing for a second while watching the movie but that comes with the territory. A couple parts were hokey like when they would almost converse as if they were talking face-to-face but they're still writing letters to one another. And at times it was amazing how bad Keanu was at just reading the narration of his letters.
Old 06-21-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I found this ironic:

Spoiler:
based on their previous pairing in Speed, this love story might have never gotten to a satisfying conclusion due to the bus running over one of them. Heh.
Old 06-28-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliosphann
If you have or haven't checked out "The Lake House", I highly recommend you check out the original Korean film, "Il Mare".

Here is my DVD review of "Il Mare": http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22293
I ordered Il Mare on your and others' recommendations after seeing The Lake House. It arrived today and my wife and I just watched it.

What a wonderful film! Beautifully shot, beautiful music, wonderful performances. A little more subtle than The Lake House with less given away as it went along. I like both films but would have to say I prefer Il Mare for its gentler touch. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.