Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only XMEN the Last Stand REVIEW Thread SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only XMEN the Last Stand REVIEW Thread SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Rogue even de-powered? They didn't linger on the shot long enough for her to even affect Bobby at all. The whole ending just felt like a cheap cop out since most everything in the film was undone in the final few scenes other than Jean's death.
Old 05-26-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Is Rogue even de-powered?
Yes, she clearly states that "she had to do it". She took the cure and is now not a mutant.

MATT
Old 05-26-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another thing I noticed, did anyone else notice that Phoenix never actually "flamed on"? She felt alot more Dark Willow-ish in her powers and looks. The whole Logan and Jean confrontation at the end reminded me alot of Xander and Willow's stand off in season 6 of Buffy, which I guess is appropriate since that's partially based on Dark Phoenix.
Old 05-26-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Another thing I noticed, did anyone else notice that Phoenix never actually "flamed on"?
Yeah, I was looking forward to this. Especially since we saw Phoenix imagery in the last seconds of X2.

The whole Logan and Jean confrontation at the end reminded me alot of Xander and Willow's stand off in season 6 of Buffy, which I guess is appropriate since that's partially based on Dark Phoenix.
Actually the first thing that came to my mind was when Wolvie killed Rachel Summers.
Old 05-26-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Yeah, I was looking forward to this. Especially since we saw Phoenix imagery in the last seconds of X2.
Maybe it will be revealed that the Jean Grey in X3 was actually a true "Dark Phoenix" and that the flaming Jean from X2 is still at the lake with Scott. That could explain the difference in powers and looks, and be an easy way to bring back Scott and Jean.
Old 05-26-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
I liked the movie myself just fine. Better than the first, not quite as good as the second. More action, less thought, but it more or less worked for me. Judging from the crowd reaction, it will for the general public too.

Did Brett Ratner rape someone's dog or what? I never have gotten all the hate for him. Sure, he's no Hitchcock, but there's many worse directors I can think of (Michael Bay, come on down).
Old 05-26-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this was by far the weakest of the 3 movies here for all of the reasons others have listed. At first, with the "not too distant future" I thought they were going for the Days of Future past angle showing all but a few mutants dead and the Sentinels wreaking havoc. I quickly realized it was probably a danger room sequence and wala it was.
My theater didn't even play the end credits so I didn't get to see the extra scene. Between that (minor annoyance for me not a biggie) and the incessent talking and cell phone conversations of the people behind me I am definitely not going to that theatre again at a "prime" time.
Old 05-26-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Yes, she clearly states that "she had to do it". She took the cure and is now not a mutant.

MATT

Which, I believe is the best message of the film..

So rogue is cured now and that makes her life all super happy because she can touch her boyfriend now? What kind of message or theme is that sending? Its like the first two movies messages are "we're different, but we're people too" and this one is saying "well i guess it'd be better if we weren't different afterall"
Old 05-26-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I went to see the movie for the second time today - some longer more coherent thoughts than last night after the midnight show.

For the records, I loved X1 because it was the X-Men on screen and a good movie to boot. I loved X2 because it built so well upon X1 and was an even better movie. (And I read the books religiously as a teenager) But neither movie was perfect, I had issue with both.

The Rogue character was just poorly conceived in the movies, she was around to mope and not much else. If they aren't making her badass flying Rogue, then why bother.
Solution - de-power her and replace her on the team with a more charasmatic mutant that has story potential, Kitty Pryde.

Storm was useless in the first two movies - if the team didn't need cloud cover, she really wasn't need.
Solution - she not only used her powers, but used them a lot and had a couple good fight scenes.

Fan favorites missing from X1 and X2. How many times did you say, we need ____. Be it Beast, the Danger Room, Angel, Juggernaut, Sentinels.
Solution - they are all in there. Pretty much the only person that the "fans" wanted that they didn't get was Gambit.

I saw it again, and I still loved it.
Old 05-26-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"What happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning....(zap)...same thing that happens to everything else."

"Mystique will keep you company....she takes so many shapes."

Yeah, the other movies didn't have corny one liners......
Old 05-27-06, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Which, I believe is the best message of the film..

So rogue is cured now and that makes her life all super happy because she can touch her boyfriend now? What kind of message or theme is that sending? Its like the first two movies messages are "we're different, but we're people too" and this one is saying "well i guess it'd be better if we weren't different afterall"
Yeah.

Crap. I kept feeling like i missed something. I never read the comics or followed it. But it lost all humanity. And the special effects were atrocious. I felt like I was watching an 80's movie.
Old 05-27-06, 12:44 AM

The film pretty much ended up being what I expected. Good action sequences. Crappy story.

Liked Kitty Pryde, especially her bit in the final battle. Very much enjoyed the scenes Xavier & Magneto had together and thought it was great to show Magneto affected by Xavier's death. And a to all the killing in the movie. Finally some consequences.

I won't go into how bad the script is since it's been covered already. As a casual fan of the comic, ugh. That's all I'll say.

Did anyone else notice how cheap the Sentinel's head looked in the Danger Room?

And fer cripe's sake, enough of the Stan Lee cameos. The first couple were cool. Now it's just lame.
Old 05-27-06, 12:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know the last time I've been so angry at a film.

I am convinced that Brett Ratner walked into the production offices for the film, saw stacks of X-Men comics and DVDs of the first two movies and dumped them all in the trash without even looking at them, and then proceeded to make one of the biggest excuses for a summer blockbuster ever. Con-Air had more character development than this.

Let's take a look at some of the doozies Ratner gave us:

-Xavier wants Storm to take over the X-Men. When she asks about Cyclops, Xavier shrugs it off and says something to the effect of, "Without Jean he's useless." Great character development!

-Wolverine goes from antisocial loner to LEADER OF THE X-MEN! WHAT THE HELL!?! He's not just leading the X-Men, he's giving orders to the army. What. The. Hell.

-I'm Juggernaut, bitch!

-Rogue just...gives up her powers in a horribly asinine subplot.

-Hey, what's up with that guy with wings? Oh, he's not doing much. But hey, he can fly from San Francisco to New York in a few hours.

-Speaking of guys who don't do much, how about Colussus, huh? He can throw Wolverine around a lot, can't he? He can also carry TVs!

-Scott - dead. Jean - dead then alive then dead. Professor X - dead then alive. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

-And the biggest doozy of them all: Criminal misuse of The Phoenix. Basically, The Phoenix is the most powerful entity in the Marvel universe. In the comics, she eats a star for breakfast. I was willing to buy the "she was in Jean from the start," but for christ's sake, this movie didn't even have the firebird! The Phoenix deserves an entire film to herself, not just some subplot. The Dark Phoenix saga is without a doubt one of the shining moments in Marvel comics. Dark, tragic, with real human emotion. This was a slap in the face to every fan of the comics.

-This film was also a slap in the face to people who like well-made films. The editing was sloppy, the shots were pedestrian, the pacing was awful, and the writing wouldn't have passed a remedial high school creative writing course. All the depth and characterizations of the previous films were stripped away, and what we got instead was trite and shallow. The only character who seemed to not be written by a group of men shouting cliches was Magneto, but that was most likely because Ian McKellan could read a transcript for an episode of Jackass and make it sound Oscar-winning.

The things I did like:

-Wolverine tearing up the guards at Magneto's compound (I think the guy throwing the daggers from his wrists was meant to be Omega Red).

-Jamie Maddox as a decoy (although he was criminally underused otherwise).

-Kitty Pryde. She rocked.

-Wolverine kicking the guy in the balls. Felt like an Indiana Jones moment.

-Iceman turning to ice. Not the line after it, but him actually turning was excellent.

-Beast. Perfect casting, great performance.

As you can see, the cons heavily outweigh the pros. Hopefully X-Men 4 will start with the ending of 3, and then everything dissolving and Xavier saying "That was a great Danger Room exercise, now let's get on to some real issues." Because if the series is ever to continue, it needs to pretend that this film never happened.

On the plus side, I'm much more excited about Superman Returns now.

Last edited by Supermallet; 05-27-06 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
And a to all the killing in the movie. Finally some consequences.
I'll add a thumbsup up for that. Maybe that's a bias because my introduction to X-Men (First X-comic I ever bought) was #211. And if you've checked that one out, it's incredibly violent! So it was refreshing to revisit one's youth with a bodycount like this in a comic-superhero PG flick.

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
And fer cripe's sake, enough of the Stan Lee cameos. The first couple were cool. Now it's just lame.
Guess I could throw another thumbsup here. It's good for the 1st entries of a series, but ALL of 'em? Come on now. At least they had Chris Claremont in there. Is Dave Cockrum still around?

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-27-06 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
As I was telling digi, this film is pretty much the "Alien 3" for the series.

Kill off a good majority of the cast and leave no room to salvage it.

Hated:
- Iceman vs. Pyro... All we get is a lame-ass projectile strength test and that's it. It was like watching a fireball fight in Streetfighter II with no payoff.

- Angel--- Total waste with no development

- Wolverine barrage. Yes he killed people, but you really didn't see his claws make contact like in X2.

- The Raping of Cyclops - I think when you take the whole trilogy into account, he probably has about a total of 10-15 lines with about 5-10mins of screen time. Total waste of the X-men Leader.

- Music- Pretty much failed on all levels. Christ... I would have been content with them recycling the X2 score.

- Intro - Failed attempt at duplicating the ones from X1 & X2. Once again... I would have been content with Ratner recylcing the X2 intro and just changing the number.
Old 05-27-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I remember the music in X2 being a lot better. Just listen to the opening credits and when "X2" smashes onto the screen. Holy crap I knew I was in for a ride!

X3, meh. It was decent. And what's with the lack of consistency? In the title, was this called X-Men 3: The Last Stand? Or X-Men: The Last Stand? I understand they like to have a subtitle but at least keep with the X3 you morons, ugh.
Old 05-27-06, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

At least Alien3 was an interesting failure from a director with a unique visual style.
Old 05-27-06, 03:11 AM

As a fan of the comics (though I havent followed them for awhile), I'll say the film was at least worth seeing. I went in with little expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Things I Wanted/ Didn't Like:

-Magneto seemed weak; especially with the plastic guns..I mean, isnt this
the same person that can remove iron from a human's blood? Couldn't he just do that to all of the humans? They get so creative with his powers, I dont think we ever see Magneto not confident of his abilities and utilize his powers to the full extend

-Angel wasn't really seen; I wanted him to fight..instead we see him flying around like a bird for his brieft scenes

-Beast is so perfectly cast but they didn't really utilize most of his catchphrases and none of the dialogue captured his incredible vocabulary

-Multiple Man was also not really utilized; I would have liked to see a brief scene of him going into hundreds and fighting the army

-Cyclops death wasnt well-explained

-since when did the Phoenix make Jean Grey look like a zombie with veins and basically making the beautiful Famke Jansenn hideous for many of her scenes

-a lot of the one liners were bad; especially Iceman/Pyro fight

-why did it shift into night after Magneto moved the bridge? I dont usually catch continuity errors (i try not to) but this one was really obvious

-Rogue's story was really boring and I felt completely disconnected from it

-Sentinel attack made no sense

Things I did like!

-I thought Archangel looked right, the wings looked like I remembered from the comic
-Kitty Pryde was great (though I feel like I should warn Ice Man about making sure to protect his genitals)
-I did like the bridge even if it was kinda cheesy; I also liked how the woman locked the car afterwards
-The Beast held his own during the fight scenes
-Storm didn't annoy me like in the other 2
-I liked how they show how Professor X/Magneto show respect towards one another still
-Iceman finally turning into ice
-Pyro didn't feel so much like a teenage reject (less so than 2)

So all in all, it was much better than I expected; I look forward to the supposed Magneto movie and hope they pull it off
Old 05-27-06, 03:17 AM
Banned by request

The Sentinel attack was in the Danger Room.
Old 05-27-06, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought i was it was good, more action compared to the previous but the trade off was less character development which sucked. Alot of things were really rushed.

Many cheesy one liners as usual. I seriously can't beleive they used the "I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!!" line. Seriously they musth ave added that in like last minute because that video didn't come out that long ago. He must have seen the video was like oh shit we got to add that line in.
Old 05-27-06, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it with a group of six this evening at a sold out 11:20pm showing.

Each person was pissed off after the end of the movie.

As we were making a stink about the major plot holes after the film, many moviegoers commented back to us: "Yeah, we all know it sucked."
Old 05-27-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
And what's with the lack of consistency? In the title, was this called X-Men 3: The Last Stand? Or X-Men: The Last Stand?
it was onscreen as X-MEN: THE LAST STAND. I actually kind of prefer just calling it X-MEN with a subtitle... except it isn't consistant with X2, which only had a subtitle in MARKETING but not onscreen...

MATT
Old 05-27-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did overhear a group of people talking about X3 after they saw it, and one of them likened it to the "Batman and Robin" of the X-Men franchise, and I could relate because I was bitter as hell after I saw B&R (I so wanted those 2 hours of my life back). But I still think B&R is in a class of its own, and X3 did not achieve that level of banality.
Old 05-27-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i dont think you can compare it with batman or robin, nor did the movie suck, its way better then the first x-men movie, the first one had the worst one liners, no action scenes that really stood out nor was the story that good,

heres the extened trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/

Last edited by maingon; 05-27-06 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 09:58 AM
Banned

Oh yeah...and what's with the Golden Gate sequence? They're on the bridge and it's dusk. They cross the bridge and suddenly it's pitch black? I never pick up on that shit but...come on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.