Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Actor/Actress has gone downhill the most.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which Actor/Actress has gone downhill the most.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OJ Simpson
Old 05-15-06, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julia Stiles. The Omen?

I guess her co-star Liev Schreiber could be on this list as well.
Old 05-15-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by smirnoff
Deniro's career, imo, is in its own catagory of downhilledness.
Choice of scripts/roles? Maybe. But FOCKERS dammit is the #1 comedy of all time.... and I fucking HATE that turburger of a film. I could eat a camcorder and poop out a better movie. But he's coming off a big career commercial success.
Old 05-16-06, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Choice of scripts/roles? Maybe. But FOCKERS dammit is the #1 comedy of all time.... and I fucking HATE that turburger of a film. I could eat a camcorder and poop out a better movie. But he's coming off a big career commercial success.
I hate Meet the Fockers too. Totally souless movie. Part of the reason I hated it so much is because Meet the Parents was SO good and funny that to have this cock goblin sequel follow it is just turburgery like you said!

As for De Niro, he's my favorite actor. The man is over retirement age and still working. His track record is enormous. He can do anything he wants as far as I'm concerned and still not be able to go "downhill". How can you go downhill when you're over the hill? I can still watch Raging Bull and Deer Hunter any time I want and afterwards immediately forgive him for Analyze this that those them.
Old 05-16-06, 12:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts
John Travolta. He had his one comeback hit and then decided to bomb his career out again. What a pity!
Old 05-16-06, 01:57 PM

The Mickster's still around...

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Standing with one foot in the grave. He's about ninety years old.

Plus he recently did an old people's life insurance commercial with his hot young 70 year old wife.
He recently did the best audio commentary in the history of DVD, for Season 5 of "The Twilight Zone": "The Night of a Jockey." Remember?

Rooney: (Yelling) HI! THIS IS MICKEY ROONEY! YOU'RE WATCHING THE TWILIGHT ZONE!

Interviewer: Do you remember much about this episode?

Rooney: No. I don't remember anything.

Interviewer: We'll watch it together for the first time.

Rooney: I don't care ... anything about it.

Interviewer: What today's audience doesn't understand, and maybe we can put this in context ... you're playing a jockey but they don't understand that for many years, anytime anybody said anything about a "short", you were the butt of jokes --

Rooney: (Yelling) WELL I'M TIRED OF THAT!

Interviewer: Oh.

(later)

Rooney: Well, it was interesting to make, but I don't see why people enjoy something like this now, but maybe they do. I hope they do.

Interviewer: Had you met Rod ever? Serling?

Rooney: Yeah.

Interviewer: Do you remember where or --

Rooney: No. I don't remember anything about him. I wish I could help you.

Interviewer: What was going on with you when you were making this?

Rooney: (Yelling) I DON'T REMEMBER! IT'S TOO LONG AGO!!

(later)

Interviewer: I was looking for you to explain to the younger audience, because they don't understand --

Rooney: The younger audience doesn't want to see this!

Interviewer: Oh, that's who's watching this.

Rooney: No it isn't!

Interviewer: Yes --

Rooney: They're watching (pause) sex-y things.
Old 05-16-06, 10:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Costner.

Demi Moore. She was never a good actor in the first place, but had a great PR person who was always good at attaching herself to movies with huge stars (Tom Cruise, etc). Not anymore. Once you're a woman in your 40s, acting ability wins out over fading looks, and she's no thespian.

Last edited by vegasbaby; 05-16-06 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
Um, Ben Kingsley anyone? How do you go from Schindler's List, House of Sand and Fog, and Gandhi to A Sound of Thunder, Lucky Number Slevin, Thunderbirds, and (COUGH) Bloodrayne.
CASH IS KING
Old 05-16-06, 10:29 PM

DeNiro, Pacino and Hoffman were the definition of Hungry, Obsessive Actors in their prime. Look at their resumes from 20 years ago.

They're in their 60s now with a whole lot of money in the bank and nowhere near the energy or drive to push themselves anymore.
Old 11-17-08, 06:10 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
'Sopranos' actor on trial in NYPD cop slaying

NEW YORK (AP) - Lillo Brancato Jr. was a young actor with a solid resume: He made his debut in 1993 in "A Bronx Tale" opposite Robert De Niro, went on to appear in more than a dozen movies and played a doomed mobster wannabe in HBO's "The Sopranos."

Now, however, at the age of 32, Brancato faces charges of second-degree murder and other crimes in the 2005 killing of police Officer Daniel Enchautegui. Jury selection for his trial begins Monday.

Brancato's real-life troubles began not long after he befriended Steven Armento, a reputed low-level Genovese crime family associate banished for drug addiction, prosecutors say. Then his life went into a tailspin with a pair of drug-related arrests and the death of Enchautegui.

Brancato drove himself and Armento to the home of Enchautegui's next-door neighbor and the pair broke in to steal prescription drugs, prosecutors said. When they were confronted by Enchautegui, who was off duty, Armento shot the officer. Brancato and Armento were both wounded.

Armento, 48, was convicted of first-degree murder Oct. 30 and was sentenced last week to life in prison without parole.

Brancato's attorney, Joseph Tacopina, said his client's case is very different.

"Lillo didn't have a gun. Nor did he know anyone had a gun. Lillo was shot. Lillo wasn't burglarizing anyone's home," he said.

Family and friends of Brancato have said he was a good guy with a drug problem who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He obviously had problems he kept well hidden, but that doesn't mean he should be held accountable for the actions of the man he was with, especially if that man was under the influence," former "Sopranos" castmate Chris Tardio wrote in an e-mail.

Brancato was discovered at age 15 at Jones Beach on a summer day by the casting director of "A Bronx Tale," directed by co-star De Niro.

He worked consistently through his teenage years with small roles in "Crimson Tide," and "Enemy of the State," but he never became a huge star. He appeared in half a dozen episodes of "The Sopranos" as soldier Matt Bevilaqua in 2000; his character was killed off in the mob hit's second season.

Along the way, Brancato had befriended Armento while dating one of his twin daughters.

In December 2005, prosecutors said, the actor and the older man decided while drinking at a strip club to break into the basement apartment in a hunt for Valium.

Armento, who had a lengthy rap sheet dating to 1979 that included convictions for possession of stolen property and attempted burglary, was armed with a .357-caliber handgun.

Enchautegui, who had just finished a late-night shift, heard glass breaking next door. He alerted his landlord, dialed 911 to report a possible burglary in progress, then grabbed his badge and a gun and went outside to investigate.

Enchautegui shouted "Police! Don't move!" Shots were fired. Enchautegui was struck once in the chest. Armento was hit six times. Brancato, who was unarmed, was shot twice.

Jurors in Armento's trial rejected prosecution arguments that he knew Enchautegui was a police officer, declining to convict him of first-degree murder of an officer. He was instead found guilty of first-degree murder while committing a felony.

Brancato's attorney says he's not criminally responsible for the shooting.

"We're looking forward, after three long years, for Lillo to get his day in court," Tacopina said. "It's a tragic case, it's tragic in a lot of ways. But that doesn't mean he's behind the crime."

Tardio wrote of the slain officer: "One life was already ruined. The jury will have the power to prevent that of another.
Old 11-18-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
That's the stupidest fucking analogy I have read on this forum in the past week. At least Tom Hanks and Jim Carrey not only maintain the fanbase they had years ago, they also happen to star in the occasional flick that brings them back to their original roots. In addition, Hanks and Carrey's selection of roles happens to be stellar. You know, unlike Murphy's.

Eddie Murphy used to be known as one of the funniest comedians and actors out there. He was on the top of his game. Now, he's known as a no-talented sell-out hack. The man is now something he used to make fun of years ago.

Murphy's last watchable film was Bowfinger. Which ironically was Steve Martin's last watchable film.
You know it took me 2 1/2 years to see this and i have to say that wasn't very nice.
I honestly can see now why some may put Eddie on this list, since more than half of his films in the last ten years have bombed at the box office.
I admit i do not know too much about the business of Hollywood but someone please explain to me why the hell the film "Life" cost 75 million dollars to make. I know it has a lot of stars but damn did it cost that much to make them look old.

Last edited by paradicelost; 11-18-08 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny were never popular outside of "The X-Files," were they? (Not counting the movie of the show, of course)

There are lots of TV actors that haven't been able to find much success outside of the shows they were in, partially because they became so associated with their characters after playing them for so long. Look at the cast of "Friends" for instance: only Jennifer Aniston somehow keeps getting big roles.

regarding Gillian, her best role outside of X-Files, was 'Bleak House' (TV)
Old 11-18-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has Louis Gossett Jr. been mentioned yet?
Old 11-18-08, 04:29 PM

How the hell is Jeff Conaway still getting work?
Old 11-18-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harrison Ford. That guy has been in cruise control for almost two decades now.
Old 11-18-08, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
I have to say Marlon Brando was probably the worst.

I say this because I recently saw the Island of Dr. Moreau on cable. I can't believe I bought that DVD.
They need to make an award with his name on it as THE DOWNHILL AWARD.
He sure wasted his talent. He's like the Mike Tyson of acting.
Old 11-19-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably take crap for this here but Ed Norton is up there for me.

He use to be one of the actors I'd get most excited for when he had something new coming out, 25th Hour is one of my all-time favorite movies & he is not only in, but responsible for quite a few modern-classics. But IMO he is getting more & more boring often giving performances that are a tired retread or even worse, roles like Bruce Banner, where he just brings nothing to the role, performace, or character which is the exact oppposite of what made him once great.
Old 11-19-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I'll probably take crap for this here but Ed Norton is up there for me.
You certainly won't get any crap from me. You're absolutely right. John C. Reilly is another one. The dependable character actor who once turned in superbly believable performances in films like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and The Good Girl now seems content to appear in brain-dead comedies like Walk Hard, Talladega Nights and Step Brothers.
Old 11-20-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Al Pacino...at least Robert DeNiro does some good comedies once in a while (Meet the Parents/Fockers)

What happened to Pacino's bad-ass god level? He was last awesome in Heat and Devil's Advocate...
Old 11-20-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chris O'Donnell
Old 11-20-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Chris O'Donnell

Et tu boy wonder
Old 11-21-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 739 Likes on 602 Posts
Jennifer Garner

She probably is not the greatest actress but she was suppose to be a huge star but most of her movies bombed and I doubt anyone today would see a movie just to see her and she has not been on the big screen for a while except for The Kingdown which bombed.
Old 11-21-08, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Al Pacino...at least Robert DeNiro does some good comedies once in a while (Meet the Parents/Fockers)

What happened to Pacino's bad-ass god level? He was last awesome in Heat and Devil's Advocate...
I would beg to differ on Pacino. He's been in some great stuff since then and gave some good/great performances. Any Given Sunday, Insomnia, Angels In America, S1m0ne, and The Merchant of Venice. He was also pretty decent to watch in Oceans 13.