Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Actor/Actress has gone downhill the most.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-08-06, 04:21 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking over a DVD sale when I saw a few movies starring actors who were HOT! and now they are NOT! Some were just hot babes who aged others just seemed to fall off the map. I'll start off with Christian Slater. He seemed to be in a lot of good movies and went from supporting actor to starring roles in the 90's. Now all you hear about him is he gets arrested for groping middle aged woman. I last saw him in the horrible "Alone in The Dark" with another was a winner/now a loser, Tara Reid. Meg Ryan is another downhill racer. Once Americas Sweetheart, she now is a trout-lipped freak who I haven't seen in a movie since the bomb "Proof Of Life" I think Julia Roberts is also headed in this direction.
Old 05-08-06, 04:30 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how bout Melane Griffith?
Old 05-08-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say Ben Affleck. He seemed poised to really be the next big thing, (looks, tabloid attention, big roles) but now is a punchline.
Old 05-08-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
I maintain Tia Carrerre is the actress who had the most sudden and perplexing career trajectory change. She was in the Wayne's World movies, Rising Sun and True Lies and suddenly she was appearing in Jury Duty and Kull the Conqueror.
Old 05-08-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wesley Snipes. I thought that he was in some real solid movies, I love the Blade franchise, and now I'm not sure he can get anything but direct-to-DVD.
Old 05-08-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't put Affleck in a downhill list. The guy still has a few hits left in him I think.

Michelle Pfeiffer is one that comes to mind.
Old 05-08-06, 04:50 PM

Deniro's career, imo, is in its own catagory of downhilledness.
Old 05-08-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to say Marlon Brando was probably the worst.

I say this because I recently saw the Island of Dr. Moreau on cable. I can't believe I bought that DVD.
Old 05-08-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the "Still young" category.

Leelee Sobieski

From Stanely Kubrick to Uwe Boll in eight years.
Old 05-08-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lots:

Harrison Ford
Wesley Snipes
Tara Reid
Christian Slater
Kevin Bacon
Samuel Jackson (That may change with SOA(MF)P)
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Kate Winslet
Eddie Murphy
Bruce Willis
Macaulay Culkin
Joe Pesci
Tommy Lee Jones
Helen Hunt
John Travolta

All of them are of course one good character away from being back on top. Look what happend to John Travolta after Pulp Fiction, Kiefer Sutherland in 24 and hell even Howie Mandel on Deal or no Deal.
Old 05-08-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I maintain Tia Carrerre is the actress who had the most sudden and perplexing career trajectory change. She was in the Wayne's World movies, Rising Sun and True Lies and suddenly she was appearing in Jury Duty and Kull the Conqueror.
Well to be honest she was never much of an actress, she just happened to get lucky early on. So the scales kind of balance on this example.
Old 05-08-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kate Winslet? She last got an Oscar nomination for Eternal Sunshine and will be in the upcoming Oscar contender "All the King's Men". I'd hardly say she's going downhill.
Old 05-08-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
In the "Still young" category.

Leelee Sobieski

From Stanely Kubrick to Uwe Boll in eight years.

I wonder how many other actors belong to that club? I remember somebody describing David Carradine as "one of the shockingly few actors to have been directed by both Ingmar Bergman and Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson."

Seriously, what has been up with LeeLee? She was also in that awful "Hercules" TV mini or whatever. On IMDB she has a bunch of projects in post-production, so maybe she can have a "comeback" before she's 25.
Old 05-08-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Kate Winslet? She last got an Oscar nomination for Eternal Sunshine and will be in the upcoming Oscar contender "All the King's Men". I'd hardly say she's going downhill.
Yeah, mentioning her is just insane, even if you don't even like her.

And Robert DeNiro owns this thread. Wesley Snipes has taken the downward spiral, too.

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Tara Reid
When was she ever a "top-of-the-hill" actress? I doubt the American Pie movies really count.
Old 05-08-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Wesley Snipes. I thought that he was in some real solid movies, I love the Blade franchise, and now I'm not sure he can get anything but direct-to-DVD.

I second this pick. As a matter of fact I was thinking about this very subject and Snipes the other day.

He went from promising Dramatic actor, to a decent action actor, to a pain in the ass, difficult to work with, everyone is racist, everyone is out to get me, joke that no one even cares about anymore.

He needs to get his shit together.
Old 05-08-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vipper II

When was she ever a "top-of-the-hill" actress? I doubt the American Pie movies really count.
Ok, I concede Tara was never a top of the hill actress but I stand by my Kate Winslet remark.

Hell I had Denzel Washington on my list till I took him off, for every good movie Kate or Denzel have they have 4 or 5 stinkers.
Old 05-08-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Bacon
I would say the exact opposite for him.I think hes done a great job getting character roles and im always interested to see him in films nowadays.
Old 05-08-06, 05:56 PM

Harrison Ford
Wesley Snipes
Those two first came to mind. The difference being is that Harrison Ford actually has (had?) talent.

His last 5....
Firewall
Hollywood Homicide
K-19: The Widowmaker
What Lies Beneath
Random Hearts
Six Days Seven Nights

These started the trend
Air Force One
The Devil's Own
Sabrina
Clear and Present Danger

Quite the streak......
The Fugitive
Patriot Games
Regarding Henry
Presumed Innocent
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Working Girl
Frantic
The Mosquito Coast
Witness
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

I still don't know what happened to Wesley Snipes, I don't think hee was a great, or even good, actor but he did have some screen presence and it seemed a quick slide from Blockbuster to Direct to DVD.
Old 05-08-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"The Woodsman" shows Bacon still has some acting chops.
Old 05-08-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
Are we talking "hot" as in "good acting ability" or "box office potential/pay scale?"

While he never really had a solo hit movie-wise, I thought for sure Dana Carvey would be a bigger star than he is... how amazing is it that fellow Wayne's World star Mike Myers became so much bigger than he is? Speaking of which, whatever happened to the "other guy" from Bill and Ted?

I thought Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd were pretty big when I was young... and I can't remember the last film I've seen either of them in. And Steve Martin, Michael Keaton, and Eddie Murphy aren't exactly the same kind of draws that they used to be either.

This also happens to a lot of child actors, like Macauley Culkin, and perhaps Haley Joel Osment. Or stars that hit it pretty big early... Molly Ringwald and the St. Elmo's Fire generation of teen actors have almost all faded away.

The reasons may differ, however. Some of them are probably rich enough that they can stay semi-retired.
Old 05-08-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm talking as a regular movie patron, not hard core movie junkie. I based my list on box office potential, not whether they are a good actor or not. Like I said in my post all these actors are one good role away from hitting it big again.
Old 05-08-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can forget Sly Stallone!?! Weren't his last two movies DTV? Now he's making Rocky 27 and Rambo 15.
Old 05-08-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kevin Bacon
Well, if there's one thing you can certainly say about Kevin Bacon, it's that he's been in a movie with someone who's been in a movie with someone else whose career has gone downhill the most.
Old 05-08-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Halle Berry

Flintstones --> B*A*P*S --> X-Men --> Monster's Ball (Best Actress) --> X-Men 2 --> Gothika --> Catwoman

It's like a perfect Bell Curve!
Old 05-08-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris Farley

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.