Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michel Gondry to direct Jack Black in Be Kind Rewind

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-02-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack Black hits "Rewind" for comedy

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Jack Black is set to star in the eccentric comedy "Be Kind Rewind," playing a junkyard worker whose brain is magnetized, destroying every tape in his friend's video store and forcing the pair to remake the lost films.

Michel Gondry ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") will direct the film, which begins a two-month shoot September 6 in New York. It is budgeted under-$20 million.

In the film, Black plays Jerry, a man whose headaches lead him to believe his brain is melting. His brain is magnetized, leading to the unintentional destruction of movies in his friend's store. In order to keep the store's one loyal customer, an elderly lady with signs of dementia, the pair re-creates a long line of films including "The Lion King," "Rush Hour," "Back to the Future" and "Robocop."

Producer Georges Bermann said Gondry wrote a draft in three weeks. Gondry's most recent film was "Dave Chappelle's Block Party." No domestic or international distribution deals have been lined up for the film.

Black returns to theaters June 16 in the Paramount comedy "Nacho Libre."
Old 05-02-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... my first thought on hearing the plot was "this is gonna be a sucky UHF rip off". Then, thinking it over a bit I decided that it could end up being a work of genius. I'll give it a chance.
Old 05-02-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Hmmm... my first thought on hearing the plot was "this is gonna be a sucky UHF rip off". Then, thinking it over a bit I decided that it could end up being a work of genius. I'll give it a chance.

yep.. there will be no in-between.. This will either be great or crap
Old 05-02-06, 03:25 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Not only does this sound puerile, but also immediately obsolete and antiquated...VHS tapes?! That's so '90s...
Old 05-02-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
For some reason this reminds me of the Tex Avery cartoon where the dog escapes from prison via digging a tunnel and winds up in the tv set of the warden's home.
Old 02-03-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there any word on this one yet? Since Michel Gondry is directing, there's no doubt that it will be a great film visually. Maybe some pictures from the set, script reviews? Anything at all so far?
Old 02-03-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a terrific idea! This would deinitely make a great 4-minute SNL skit!
Old 02-03-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Not only does this sound puerile, but also immediately obsolete and antiquated...VHS tapes?! That's so '90s...
I think that's the whole idea. One loyal 90 year old customer?

This movie will blow dead goats.
Old 02-03-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
This movie will blow dead goats.
You will be in for a shock!
Old 02-03-07, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Agreed! Is this going to be a period piece, set sometime before the year 2000? Because if not, I haven't seen a lot of VHS tapes inside Blockbuster lately...
Old 02-04-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
You will be in for a shock!
Why, are they live goats?
Old 02-04-07, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by redskull
Agreed! Is this going to be a period piece, set sometime before the year 2000? Because if not, I haven't seen a lot of VHS tapes inside Blockbuster lately...
It doesn't have be a period piece. Gondry is known for his flights of fancy, and I think film just wants to embrace the video store culture of the 80s and 90s, not the reality of today.
Old 02-04-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by breadlymoore
It doesn't have be a period piece. Gondry is known for his flights of fancy, and I think film just wants to embrace the video store culture of the 80s and 90s, not the reality of today.
Seriously. I was like 'who cares'. Gondry is not exactly known for doing down-to-Earth set-in-reality stuff. He has a lot of fun with that stuff. I guess there's always people who will question, "well, why didn't they just buy new tapes? If they couldn't afford them, why not try to get a loan through the Small Business Association?"

The idea sounds like a good time. And that's what Gondry's movies are.

This is a pretty old thread. I checked IMDB, and it says it's in post production. So I guess that the movie DID get made, and it SHOULD be coming out in the next six or ten months.

More than the movie itself, I'm actually anticipating seeing how the remakes look. And I don't really look forward or pay much attention to upcoming movies anymore.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 02-06-07 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 03:35 PM
Suspended

i like Gondry, but i hate jack black. this is going to be a dilemma.
Old 02-05-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's some information on the look of the remakes from an interview I did with him last year:

TF: Finally, on your next project, do you think Be Kind, Rewind will be stylistically more like Science of Sleep or Eternal Sunshine?

MG: I don't know, I'm going to try to shoot a wider format, anamorphic, the letterbox, and it would be a contrast with the way we shoot the movies, which is video, and completely crappy, and the way the film is going to look, which is going to be a little more slick, so we'll see. I put myself in a different situation, like, the last film I did, the two last films I did, it was all handheld camera, and this one I think I will put my camera on a tripod, or crane.

Also, slightly off-topic but I'd like to bring up the other project he mentioned which sounds awesome beyond belief. This is the coolest thing he mentioned to me.

TF: Speaking of that, what do you think is the most rewarding thing you've gotten out of your relationships with your constant collaborations with Bjork and The White Stripes, and would you ever do a film with them, whether that's a fictional film or a concert film like Block Party?

MG: Yeah, I think so, I have a project I wrote for The White Stripes, and then it was put on the side, and it was a biographic project, and basically, I was really happy with the project, and I hope it's going to happen someday. I would play them their music, and they would tell me, listening to their music, what they had in mind when they wrote the song. Then, we would illustrate these moments with two actors, one for Jack and one for Meg, while they are doing the same music. So it would build up like that. Each time we would have some interview or voice over, and we see people re-enacting as they were playing the next song, and it would build up like that.

Also, he says he will be doing another installment of Directors Works.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-05-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-06-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The plot sounds dumb, and I don't care for Jack Black, but I'll see it for Gondry. Even his movies I didn't like much (Human Nature) were worth seeing.
Old 02-06-07, 01:40 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Not written by Charles Kaufman? Meh.
Old 02-06-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If there is one actor I wouldn't mind seeing disappear, Jack Black would be the one I'd choose, without hesitation.
Old 02-06-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jack Black can be funny in small doses. School of Rock was good. I hated Nacho Libre though (although I personally think Hess was a victim of excessive studio tampering, and the film, while not perfect, could have been better had Hess been free of Nickelodeon and Paramount).
Old 02-06-07, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

Personally, I think Nacho Libre could have been better had Paramount and Nickelodeon been free of Jared Hess. But that's a whole other thread. I can't wait for this. I don't care if it should be a 4-minute SNL skit, I'll see any film Gondry directs.
Old 02-07-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...

Love Gondry.

Love Jack Black.

I'm there.

= J
Old 02-23-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently the first review of the film (Jesus, I didn't even know they started shooting yet):
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31665

Didn't notice any spoilers.
Old 06-03-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

click for link
Old 06-03-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like it's coming out April 2008.
Old 06-03-07, 04:00 PM
Banned

yea damn, I thought it was this fall. o well, looks good

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.