Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man - Rumors, news / d: Favreau / s: Robert Downey Jr.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Iron Man - Rumors, news / d: Favreau / s: Robert Downey Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this thread was about Justin Timberlake singing the Black Sabbath song "Iron Man." Either way, dude's an ass.
Old 12-09-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, I don't think so.
Old 12-09-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has to be a bad rumor, do they want the movie to bomb like Catwoman?
Old 12-09-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tobey Maguire should be Iron Man, just make him look older and a beard, c'mon it's Tobey! When you think he won't fit he does!!
Old 12-09-04, 03:13 PM

It's true. I know the guy who is his stand-in (second team) on the set.
Old 12-09-04, 09:43 PM

Maybe they'll change his voice and put him behind the mask for 3/4 of the movie?
Old 12-09-04, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Tony Stark cannot be played by a young actor.

I've always felt there is one person perfect for Iron Man (at least that is who I would cast).

The man, the myth, the legend. . .

He already has a drink in his hand, you pust a mustache on him, & you have the perfect tony Stark.
I would of gone for Timothy Dalton myself he is the spitting image of Tony Stark imo
Old 12-09-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gattman
I would of gone for Timothy Dalton myself he is the spitting image of Tony Stark imo
Yeah, but he's not Billy Zane
Old 12-09-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Jeez, what's next? Fred Savage as Thor?
Old 04-29-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Jon Favreau to Direct Iron Man

From Newsarama:

JON FAVREAU TO ADAPT, DIRECT IRON MAN FOR MARVEL

He may have played Matt Murdock’s best friend, Foggy Nelson In the film version of Daredevil, but when it comes to a film version of Marvel’s Iron Man, Jon Favreau has a much larger role than that of a supporting character.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel has tapped the actor/screenwriter/director to develop and direct Iron Man, working on the script from Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway. While many may only remember Favreau as Nelson or perhaps from his breakout role in Swingers, Favreau has moved recently, to work behind the camera, directing last year’s Zathura, executive producing the acclaimed Green Street Hooligans, and directing Elf, among others. Favreau is also attached to direct a film version of John Carter, Warlord of Mars.

As Favreau said in an interview quoted in the trade, he’ll be looking to use CGI with the project, something he has been reluctant to do, making Iron Man his first film which will use the technology extensively. “I think that now, through motion-capture and the integration of miniatures with CGI, like in King Kong, I'm starting to be a lot more convinced by what the technology can do,” Favreau is quoted as saying. “But the idea of using CGI and relying solely on that to tell your story, those days are past. I think that integrating practical filmmaking and augmenting it with CGI is the key to making it an emotionally involved story."

If things move according to plan, Iron Man will begin production in early 2007.

The announcement of Favreau’s connection with Iron Man was only one of a handful of Marvel film developments cited by the Reporter. In addition to Iron Man:

- a sequel to Hulk is fully in the works, written by Zak (X2, X3) Penn

- Shaun of the Dead co-writer Edgar Wright is adapting Ant-Man. Wright will direct and co-write the film version with Joe Cornish.

- Captain Americais being adapted by David (Road to Perdition) Self, who is also adapting/has adapted Namor and Deathlok

- Andrew (Hoolow Man) Marlow is adapting Nick Fury.

- Mark (Poseidon) Protosevich is adapting Thor."In the comics, the stories that appealed to me most were the features called 'Tales of Asgard,' " Protosevich told the Reporter. "They were very much based on the traditional Norse myths and how the relationship between being like Thor and Loki and Thor and Odin, and how these beings manifested themselves. I don't want to give too much away, but I will say the movie will take place in the world of myth and legend but will not betray some of the thematic elements of the comics that made them so appealing, like the idea of a god growing to truly understand man."

All the films will be produced by Marvel, as part of their plan to become their own production house (for which they raised $525 million), and distribute the films through Paramount (the Hulk sequel is already set up to be distributed through Universal).
Old 04-29-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news all around, especially the Hulk 2 news for me. He is my all-time favorite comic book character. So I'm psyched about any news.

I remember Tom Cruise expressing his desire to play Iron Man years ago, but I have a feeling that is 100% not happening now. That film will have a big enough budget. But I think Favreau can handle it.
Old 04-29-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good news, all around? Ant-Man?

Marvel needs to learn that not all of their characters would translate well to screen.

And I can't really get excited about Favreau on Iron Man either.
Old 04-29-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Marvel needs a little QC...Not every single comic character they own needs their own friggen movie. Antman & Deathlok? Ironman and Thor dont sound to promising either. Oh well, I guess they are going to be about quanity. We'll see how it plays out I suppose.
Old 04-29-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I think Marvel needs a little QC...Not every single comic character they own needs their own friggen movie. Antman & Deathlok? Ironman and Thor dont sound to promising either. Oh well, I guess they are going to be about quanity. We'll see how it plays out I suppose.
Marvel has already done their entire A-list roster (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Hulk) with the exception of Captain America. I'm not surprised they are beginning to mine their secondary heroes, but there's certainly more recognizable characters than Antman. Why not encourage Fox to make some movies based on X-Men characters other than Wolvie and Magneto? Gambit could probably handle a solo movie as a character.

I'm still surprised that DC/Warner have yet to mine their other big names. They have alot more household names on their roster than Marvel does (Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow).
Old 04-29-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
“But the idea of using CGI and relying solely on that to tell your story, those days are past. I think that integrating practical filmmaking and augmenting it with CGI is the key to making it an emotionally involved story."

Oooo! Let's not tell the people at Pixar.

What on earth is he talking about? Ignoring Pixar/DreamWorks/BlueSky/etc./etc. animated films, has any movie outside of Final Fantasy relied soley on CGI?

Earth to Favreau: It's the story, not the filmmaking/fx techniques. And you can't find better examples of this than the runaway success of Pixar, etc., and the utter failure of Final Fantasy, a visual wonder betrayed by an absolutely inane story.

Despite that, I'd like to see an Iron Man movie. If he were younger, Timothy Dalton would make the perfect Tony Stark, IMHO. Remember how he looked in the Rocketeer? Can't think of anyone these days that even comes close. Plenty certainly have the talent, but you have to have that look. Dashing playboy type with a moustache.

Gotta have the 'stache.
Old 04-30-06, 12:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as Favreau doesn't make it annoying kids film, I'd be fine with him doing Iron Man. Meanwhile, Ant-Man? Yeesh. But what could be cool would be a Dr. Strange film. He has so much weird occult stuff going on that it could be a lot of fun.
Old 04-30-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon2
“But the idea of using CGI and relying solely on that to tell your story, those days are past. I think that integrating practical filmmaking and augmenting it with CGI is the key to making it an emotionally involved story."

Oooo! Let's not tell the people at Pixar.

What on earth is he talking about? Ignoring Pixar/DreamWorks/BlueSky/etc./etc. animated films, has any movie outside of Final Fantasy relied soley on CGI?

Earth to Favreau: It's the story, not the filmmaking/fx techniques. And you can't find better examples of this than the runaway success of Pixar, etc., and the utter failure of Final Fantasy, a visual wonder betrayed by an absolutely inane story.
I think he means crappy flicks like Godzilla that pretty much relied on having a giant monster tearing shit up to be the story. Movies that focused more on the technology than storytelling.

Ant-Man, Deathlock...sure why not. Just because they're smaller names doesn't mean they won't make good movies, look at Blade, who knew (or even knows now) that Blade was a comic? Frankly, Ant-Man by Edgar Wright actually sounds like it'd be a blast.
Old 04-30-06, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just hope they use the Iron Man theme song: Iron Man, Iron Man. Does whatever an iron can.
Old 04-30-06, 03:44 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
So does this mean no HOWARD THE DUCK sequel for the immediate future?

*sigh*
Old 04-30-06, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
As long as Favreau doesn't make it annoying kids film, I'd be fine with him doing Iron Man. Meanwhile, Ant-Man? Yeesh. But what could be cool would be a Dr. Strange film. He has so much weird occult stuff going on that it could be a lot of fun.
Yeah, thats what ruined Zathura for me. Each one of those kids were more annoying than the last.

I think Favreau is a great comedic Director (Made,Swingers,Elf) I just don't know about giving him the reigns to these effects driven action movies. I'm interested in what he does with this and John Carter of Mars.
Old 04-30-06, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have faith in Favreau. He did a great job with the effects on Zathura, if nothing else. Personally, I thought that was the tip of the iceberg in terms of what the film had to offer...but even to a detractor, the special effects are virtually untouchable.

Oh, and Fincher's theme song post made me chuckle. Just FYI.

-JP
Old 04-30-06, 04:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the first look at Iron Man as he will appear in the upcoming film:

We can only hope we'll throw wads of paper at his enemies and yell "Repulsor Ray".
Old 04-30-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really wish Jon Favreau would go back to directing/starring in comedies, but I guess I'll take this too.

Since it is Edgar Wright doing "Ant Man", I wonder if it is going to be more of a comedy than a serious action comic flick.
Old 04-30-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Good news all around, especially the Hulk 2 news for me. He is my all-time favorite comic book character. So I'm psyched about any news.
I didn't like The Hulk movie 1st time around but after seeing some scenes again I have to admit The Hulk had it's good points. I'll see Hulk 2.

I remember Tom Cruise expressing his desire to play Iron Man years ago, but I have a feeling that is 100% not happening now. That film will have a big enough budget. But I think Favreau can handle it.
As much as I can't stand Cruise I thought he woulda been a cool Iron Man. Oh well, I guess someone else will have to do it.
Old 04-30-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Count me in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.