Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Thing Remake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Thing Remake?

I just recently heard the other day in a interview on XM radio's Cinemagic that Romero is very interested in remaking The Thing as his next movie,not a sequeal but actual remake.My question is WHY? John Carpenter's version is one of the best Horror movies ever made and absouluely unecessary to be remade as it still holds up so well today and 99% will agree.

Has anyone else heard this news,i am so sick of this remake bs,there is more sequals in Horror movies these days than any other movie genes.Hollywood should change there name to Holycrap!
Old 04-01-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
George Romero?? Ugh... he's the next Uwe Boll.
Old 04-01-06, 12:36 PM
Suspended

If there's one film in all the world that doesn't need a remake it's John Carpenter's "The Thing". I'd still watch it though. I'd prefer a sequel. It's a waste of time & money trying to improve on near perfection.
Old 04-01-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, when will they stop this remake BS? I tell ya. Look at this thing on the market - who are they trying to kid?

I tells ya, these remakes are outta hand...
Old 04-01-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard somebody wants to do a remake of Peter Jackson's King Kong...what a slap in the face.
Old 04-01-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I demand tits in this new one.
Old 04-01-06, 01:36 PM

I wonder if the effects would be better with modern movie technology. CGI would be terrible but sometimthing about the stop-animation in The Thing gets to me.
Old 04-01-06, 01:38 PM
Banned

There was a rumor that Clooney wanted to make a live black-and-white TV movie of The Thing like he did with Fail Safe, but nothing seems to have come from it.
Old 04-01-06, 01:56 PM
Banned

Well, I'm glad that it's a good director trying to remake something, instead of Peter Jackson....
Old 04-01-06, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by thing-fish24
Well, I'm glad that it's a good director trying to remake something, instead of Peter Jackson....
Old 04-01-06, 07:12 PM

I heard this information recently on Direct TV XM satellite Cinemagic,pretty cool station by the way,if you like movie score music check this out.They had an iterview with the director/writter of Slither about that movie and they were talking about horror sequels and such and he was asked by the interviewer if he would be interested in remaking The Thing since he also remade the 2004 horror movie Dawn of the Dead remake and he said no way but heard Romero wanted to though.This interview has been on all week with the release of Slither,A very interesting interview of the movie by the way.Once again,if you love movie scores and interviews,check out Direct TV XM channel 822 Cinemagic.I watch John Carpenters The Thing every now and than,never gets dull has awesome replay value and i will pick this up in the next format when its released in either HD DVD or Blue Ray.
Old 04-01-06, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Digigeek06
I heard this information recently on Direct TV XM satellite Cinemagic,pretty cool station by the way,if you like movie score music check this out.They had an iterview with the director/writter of Slither about that movie and they were talking about horror sequels and such and he was asked by the interviewer if he would be interested in remaking The Thing since he also remade the 2004 horror movie Dawn of the Dead remake and he said no way but heard Romero wanted to though.This interview has been on all week with the release of Slither,A very interesting interview of the movie by the way.Once again,if you love movie scores and interviews,check out Direct TV XM channel 822 Cinemagic.I watch John Carpenters The Thing every now and than,never gets dull has awesome replay value and i will pick this up in the next format when its released in either HD DVD or Blue Ray.
If they were going to go forward with a "The Thing" remake I'd rather he do it than Romero.
Old 04-01-06, 07:29 PM

He made it very clear he would never touch that project as he is probally one of the few directors out there that knows the original cannot be topped and doesnt want to be known for it.Sounds like this director is not interested in Hollywoods greed of making money only before quality.I know its all about bucks in Hollywood but lets get some fresh ideas.Slither sounds like a decent movie,will probally wait for DVD though as i am not interested in seeing this in the theatre.
Old 04-01-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digigeek06
He made it very clear he would never touch that project as he is probally one of the few directors out there that knows the original cannot be topped and doesnt want to be known for it.
The Howards Hawks original or the John Carpenter "original"

Old 04-01-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Legolas
There was a rumor that Clooney wanted to make a live black-and-white TV movie of The Thing like he did with Fail Safe, but nothing seems to have come from it.

Speaking of Clooney, Romero, and The Living Dead...years ago Clooney had optioned the rights to the Horror comic DEADWORLD. I wonder what's up with that?
Old 04-01-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
George Romero?? Ugh... he's the next Uwe Boll.
Romero CAN'T remake The Thing...there are no zombies in it.

Romero's pitch to a studio exectutive: I wanna remake The Thing...but this time, "The Thing" is a bunch of zombies, and there's social commerntary laced throughout...what do you think?
Old 04-02-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
I wanna remake The Thing...but this time, "The Thing" is a bunch of zombies, and there's social commerntary laced throughout...what do you think?
Hell, I'd watch it.

MCCREADY: "Why'd Halliburton send us to Antarctica?"
Old 04-02-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
I wonder if the effects would be better with modern movie technology. CGI would be terrible but sometimthing about the stop-animation in The Thing gets to me.
The new King Kong's "modern CG" effects aren't any better than the old Ray Harryhausen stop motion. The strict CG scenes (i.e., Kong vs. dinosaurs) look great, but WETA still has not mastered blending live action with CG. I had commented before that LOTR: Return of the King had some of the best and worst special effects that I had ever seen, and I think Kong is a close 2nd.
Old 04-02-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The new King Kong's "modern CG" effects aren't any better than the old Ray Harryhausen stop motion. The strict CG scenes (i.e., Kong vs. dinosaurs) look great, but WETA still has not mastered blending live action with CG. I had commented before that LOTR: Return of the King had some of the best and worst special effects that I had ever seen, and I think Kong is a close 2nd.
You must be joking.

I respect Ray, but he can't hold a candle to some of the CGi being done today. The latest Kong was very well done.
Old 04-02-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Old 04-02-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Carpenter's The Thing is one of the few remakes which blows away an original. Not only did it follow the novella (Who Goes There?) far more closely than the original, it's superior in any way I can think of. The original seems silly (vegetable monster?) by comparison.

About the only reason for a remake I can think of is to be able to use CGI, and even that is not a very good reason as the pre-CGI effects of Carpenter's film surpassed the state of the art at the time and still hold up today and always will.
Old 04-02-06, 11:10 AM

Remaking Carpenter's Thing? Lamest thing I've heard in a long time. Yet ANOTHER example of Hollywood eating its own entrails. Make something NEW. N-E-W. NEW. It's in the dictionary somewhere...
Old 04-02-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two things in this thread that make me shake my head and chuckle.

1. People who think that CG is that great
2. People who think "what? A remake? Make something original!" when The Thing was an adaptation of a short story that had already been made into a flick before...
Old 04-02-06, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Two things in this thread that make me shake my head and chuckle.

2. People who think "what? A remake? Make something original!" when The Thing was an adaptation of a short story that had already been made into a flick before...
That's not the point. It's been done; and Carpenter's was a fresh take on the original Hawks film and the original story. I would also argue that the idea for Carpenter's remake wasn't to capitalize on the original, as a modern remake would exist solely to capitalize on the "brand" of the Carpenter film (Last House, Amityville, Chainsaw, Dawn of the Dead, the inevitable Evil Dead, etc ad nauseum).
Old 04-02-06, 01:38 PM
Banned

Another thing that makes me chuckle: people who think that Ray Harryhausen did the effects for the original King Kong! He did NOT. He was simply so inspired by the original that he began his long stop-motion career after seeing it, and actually sought (and got) a working relationship with the original's animators/producers.

And whether or not you like Ray's work (and I do, I'm a MAJOR fan), I think it was just weird to have him do commentary on the original.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.