Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is or will be the biggest bomb of 2006?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What is or will be the biggest bomb of 2006?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 04:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
nah, you misread. "A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters" dvd's are indeed movie related, at least to me, not sure what'd you consider it.
nah, i don't think you've been here long enough to know what to discuss and where. dvd's are discussed in their entirety in most forums here except this.
Old 04-01-06, 04:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I own flicks like She's All That and Whatever It Takes on DVD and I still thought She's The Man was a piece of shit. I didn't know if I wanted to hang myself in the theater with my friends or grow a vagina during it.
wow. i really enjoyed it. to each their own. i liked she's all that as well, haven't seen whatever it takes in it's entirety to comment.
Old 04-01-06, 05:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
nah, i don't think you've been here long enough to know what to discuss and where. dvd's are discussed in their entirety in most forums here except this.
looks like i'm not the only one who mentions dvd's in this forum.
Old 04-01-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like i'm not the only one who mentions dvd's in this forum.
As much as I hate to say it, Scott's right. Welcome to the site and have a look around. Practically every discussion in this forum centers on the movies themselves (plots, acting, rumors, etc) and their theatrical runs. Most of the discussions about DVDisms take place in the DVD forum.

I'm not saying that nobody will ever use the word "DVD" in here. It's just that most discussions in here revolve around the film itself and it's theatrical run, as opposed to it's home video incarnation.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 04-01-06 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-01-06, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
As much as I hate to say it, Scott's right. Welcome to the site and have a look around. Practically every discussion in this forum centers on the movies themselves (plots, acting, rumors, etc) and their theatrical runs. Most of the discussions about DVDisms take place in the DVD forum.

I'm not saying that nobody will ever use the word "DVD" in here. It's just that most discussions in here revolve around the film itself and it's theatrical run, as opposed to it's home video incarnation.

-JP
which i understood, but the question was "what movie will bomb?" and it's unfair to say whether a movie is a bomb until ALL figures are accounted for which is what i stated in my initial post. a dvd is still the same thing you'd see at the theatre, so then why should that be omitted if it's going to the same profit? and btw, i'm not new, i've been a long time lurker, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 04-01-06, 07:41 AM

which i understood, but the question was "what movie will bomb?" and it's unfair to say whether a movie is a bomb until ALL figures are accounted for which is what i stated in my initial post. a dvd is still the same thing you'd see at the theatre, so then why should that be omitted if it's going to the same profit?
Actually, while there are exceptions, most movies are labeled a bomb or success (or somewhere in between) based on their theatrical gross. Many of Uwe Boll's movies made quite a bit of money on various home video formats, but all are still considered bombs. Peter Jackson's "King Kong" had a cemented status (that being an acceptable but mediocre performance in lieu of expectations) long before it was ever released on DVD. Pluto Nash could see a resurgence and sell enough copies on HD-DVD to see the film break even, but that doesn't mean that it will lose the stigma of being the largest flop ever.

"Bomb" is a term often used to refer to the performance (or lack thereof) of a film during it's theatrical run. Sadly, your opinions as to the level of "unfairness" in this situation are irrelevant.

and btw, i'm not new, i've been a long time lurker, but that's neither here nor there.
..and you're still not familiar with the place? For shame.

-JP
Old 04-01-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Bomb" is a term often used to refer to the performance (or lack thereof) of a film during it's theatrical run. Sadly, your opinions as to the level of "unfairness" in this situation are irrelevant.

Granted, most films do recoup their losts on the home video market; but that doesn't make a film lose it's stigma that it underpreformed, bombed, or tanked.
Old 04-01-06, 11:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say "Basic Instinct 2".
Based on the early box office numbers, you may be right. Only $1.1 million on Friday... ouch.
Old 04-01-06, 03:18 PM
Banned

Actually, while there are exceptions, most movies are labeled a bomb or success (or somewhere in between) based on their theatrical gross. Many of Uwe Boll's movies made quite a bit of money on various home video formats, but all are still considered bombs. Peter Jackson's "King Kong" had a cemented status (that being an acceptable but mediocre performance in lieu of expectations) long before it was ever released on DVD. Pluto Nash could see a resurgence and sell enough copies on HD-DVD to see the film break even, but that doesn't mean that it will lose the stigma of being the largest flop ever.

meh, i suppose the "generic" term does in fact mean box office and i was looking at the overall picture. i think it's pretty safe to assume pluto nash will never see an increase sales so that was a pretty dumb statement. common sense says the majority of the dvd sales will most likely come within the inital release which is mainly what i was referring to. and once that happens then that should be what considers the film a success or failure. it's pretty obvious if the film bombs in theatres it'll bomb on dvd. but stuff like running scared is an exception, it did subpar at the theatre but the budget was very low. dvd sales could put it over the top so it's not fait to call it a bust so early when in the longrun it might not be. but i agree, alot of what bombs in theatres will be bombs in genral, but that isn't always the case.

..and you're still not familiar with the place? For shame.

-JP
who said i wasn't familar? just cuz i choose not to follow rules doesn't mean i'm not familar. did i mention "specs" on dvd's? nah. just stated that dvd's sales are in fact part of profit for a movie, unless you know something i don't which is doubtful.

Last edited by BellsOfWar; 04-01-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Was Running Scared or Basic Instinct 2 even expected to do well?
Old 04-01-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'll stick to either Ghost Rider (upwards of $120 million dollar budget for a Marvel character not that well known) or Monster House (Zemeckis computer animated kid's flick opening against Lady in the Water and Super Ex-Girlfriend).
Ghost Rider was banished to February 2007, I believe.
Old 04-01-06, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drexl
Was Running Scared or Basic Instinct 2 even expected to do well?
running scared i doubt. basic instinct 2 i'm unsure of, i'd assume the bigger the budget the more the chance for success the studio had. so if the budget were available it'd be easier to see, though i doubt they put anymore than $15-$25 mill in it.
Old 04-01-06, 03:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this thread.
Old 04-01-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to defend Kong again....but any movie that earns $218 million in the US and $546 million worldwide should never be considered a mediocre performance.
Old 04-01-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

who said i wasn't familar? just cuz i choose not to follow rules doesn't mean i'm not familar. did i mention "specs" on dvd's? nah. just stated that dvd's sales are in fact part of profit for a movie, unless you know something i don't which is doubtful.
Just give it up, chief. We don't talk about DVD's in here. Neither should you. That's a rule you should follow.

= J
Old 04-01-06, 07:51 PM

I for some reason have a feeling Poseidon is going to tank and may be the biggest box office disappointment this summer,i guess only time will tell.

Last edited by Digigeek06; 04-01-06 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
Just give it up, chief. We don't talk about DVD's in here. Neither should you. That's a rule you should follow.
You guys are great. Let's all pile on the new guy because he mentioned DVD sales in a thread that doesn't specifically say whether it's talking about DVD sales or not. Oh wait!! This is the Movie Forum...we can't talk about DVDs in here!!!

Old 04-01-06, 09:07 PM

i think it's pretty safe to assume pluto nash will never see an increase sales so that was a pretty dumb statement. common sense says the majority of the dvd sales will most likely come within the inital release which is mainly what i was referring to.

Welcome to the wide world of analogies. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Not to defend Kong again....but any movie that earns $218 million in the US and $546 million worldwide should never be considered a mediocre performance.
Kong was one of my three favorite movies of last year. It's performance was just viewed by most as subpar due to the unrealistic, inflated expectations.

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Let's all pile on the new guy because he mentioned DVD sales in a thread that doesn't specifically say whether it's talking about DVD sales or not.
Pay attention. Dude's not new, he's been here for decades.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 04-01-06 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pay attention. Dude's not new, he's been here for decades.
Only X has been here for decades.
Old 04-01-06, 09:27 PM

Not the way ol' Bells tells it.

-JP
Old 04-01-06, 10:19 PM

Old 04-01-06, 10:25 PM

Haha, I totally tuned out that little personal attack. Seriously, I didn't even notice it.
Old 04-01-06, 10:33 PM

Haha, I totally tuned out that little personal attack. Seriously, I didn't even notice it.
you gots issues.
Old 04-01-06, 10:51 PM

Naturally. You're just noticing this?

Old 04-02-06, 01:15 AM
Banned

this is so much fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.