Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector. A "bold new vision" in comedy!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector. A "bold new vision" in comedy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't blame Larry the Cable Guy for making a movie. After all, how much longer does he have left in his "career"? Take the money and run Lar ... please.
Old 03-25-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Goddamn fucking hick...
But the thing is, he's really not. . .

But you also specifically dumb down your speech while making hundreds of purposefully grammatical errors. How do I know this? It's on page 17 of your book wherein you describe how you would "Larry" up your commentaries for radio. What does it mean to "Larry" something up? Take a wild guess. The reason you feel the need to "Larry" something up? Because you are not that dumb. I mean you, Dan Whitney, the guy who's name the bank account is under. You were born and raised in Nebraska (hardly The South), went to private school and moved to Florida when you were 16. This is when you developed your accent?! Not exactly the developmental years are they? At age 16 that's the kind of thing you have to make a concerted effort to adopt. Did you hire a voice coach? Or were you like one of those people who go to England for a week and come back sounding like an extra from "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"? As you said yourself in an interview once, "I can pop in and out of it pretty much whenever I want". In your book on page 89 you say in reference to the "gee-shucks" millionaire comment, "...see, to his (David's) mind, bein' well paid means I'm no longer real and I can't be a country boy anymore. It's just an act." Hey, it's always been an act! That's my fucking point! You admit it yourself so cut the indignation shit.
From "An Open Letter to Larry the Cable Guy" by David Cross.
Old 03-25-06, 02:50 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, David Cross, that's the whiny, jealous one. He'll have a stroke over this.
Old 03-26-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I will never put a dime towards Larry the Cable Guy. I find his "humor" to be completely void of it. I tried to like him. I've given his tv shows, dvd's, one-liner emails a try. No laughs, ever.
Old 03-26-06, 05:06 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this afternoon, i was walking up the sidewalk to the video store. i approached a dumpster to throw out an empty water bottle I was carrying. on top of the heap of trash was a piece of cardboard with a mound of human feces on it. i presume this was some homeless person's makeshift toilet.

now... after watching this trailer, that makes twice today that i gagged and threw up a little bit in my mouth.
Old 03-26-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bhk
Yeah, David Cross, that's the whiny, jealous one. He'll have a stroke over this.
Yeah, he's going to be upset that Larry made a terrible movie ...
Old 03-26-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this guy in a small comedy club in Tampa, Florida, before he became "a name," and he was hilarious. He just stood on stage and rattled off one-liner after one-liner completely in his backwoods hick character. I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe at times. I was really excited, then, when I saw his name on the list of Blue Collar Comedy Tour, but I was stunned at how unfunny he was. His act was completely different, watered down for the masses I suppose. Now he's just a joke, and not in a good way, and this movie looks horrible. What a shame. I think he actually had some talent once upon a time.
Old 03-26-06, 10:53 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, he's going to be upset that Larry made a terrible movie
How many movies has Cross been the headliner on?
And btw, Larry has probably already made his money on this movie. I suspect that it will be profitable as well.
Old 03-26-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
I doubt this movie will be any worse than Scream 2
Old 03-26-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boot
...rattled off one-liner after one-liner completely in his backwoods hick character.
kvrdave has been doing this for THOUSANDS of posts.
Old 03-26-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bhk
And btw, Larry has probably already made his money on this movie. I suspect that it will be profitable as well.
Officially, only one: Run Ronnie Run.

He has been a part of several movies such as Scream 2, Small Soldiers and She's The Man and even he admits they are bad movies.

Larry will continue to tell you how great Health Inspector is though.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 03-26-06 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-26-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
He has been a part of several movies such as Scream 2, Small Soldiers and She's The Man and even he admits they are bad movies.

Larry will continue to tell you how great Health Inspector is though.
So how is what Cross is doing any better than what LtCG is doing? They both make shitty movies, but Cross is considered hip and cool because he admits to making shit? That's even worse to me, at least LtCG stands behind what he's doing.

Not that it really makes a big difference, neither one of these guys is very funny. Two mosquitoes, buzzing up their infinitesimal storm. I'd seriously watch Rita Rudner before either one.
Old 03-26-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Cross was in Scary Movie 2, not Scream 2.
Old 03-26-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David Cross is Tobias "mother f'n" Fünke. Nothing Larry ever does in his lifetime will ever even get close to that greatness. Not to mention that David Cross has been in great films like Ghost World and my personal favorite film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He wasn't the star or anything, but all of that sounds a hell of a lot better on paper (heck, it's better in reality also) than anything Larry has done, is going, or ever will do.
Old 03-26-06, 10:37 PM

Old 03-27-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
David Cross is Tobias "mother f'n" Fünke. Nothing Larry ever does in his lifetime will ever even get close to that greatness. Not to mention that David Cross has been in great films like Ghost World and my personal favorite film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He wasn't the star or anything, but all of that sounds a hell of a lot better on paper (heck, it's better in reality also) than anything Larry has done, is going, or ever will do.
David Cross could have been killed after Mr. Show and still been a comedy immortal. Larry is a flash-in-the-pan tool that no one will remember in ten years. Except kvrdave, of course.
Old 03-27-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is he even popular anymore? This movie came out a couple years too late didn't it?
Old 03-27-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We're seriously arguing the merits of Larry the Cable Guy versus David "Slow Donny" Cross?

They're both comedians. They're supposed to make you laugh. If they do, great. If they don't, so sorry.

Besides, everyone knows they both pale in comparison to Eddie Izzard.
Old 03-27-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Larry the Cable Guy is Grunter's version of a dumb blonde

Eddie definitely looks way better in women's clothes than Larry or David Cross. Plus he was in Shadow of the Vampire so he has them both beat in the movies department.
Old 03-27-06, 10:27 AM

I think David Cross is pretty awesome. Mr. Show is absolutely amazing, and he was very good in Arrested Development.

However, this being said, a few months back I bought one of his comedy albums, and I was terribly disappointed. I swear he spends about 2/3rds of the time complaining about Bush. Gah. After about 20 minutes it was far worse than beating a dead horse. It was like going down to kmart and stomping up and down on bottles of mucilage. If I wanted to pay good money to hear people drone on and on about how much they hate the president, id just go down to starbucks and hang out with the trustafarians.
Old 03-27-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Larry the Cable Guy is Grunter's version of a dumb blonde
mllefoo totally "gets" me.

Old 03-27-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Larry the Cable Guy uses the lowest possible level of comedy. The jokes are, for the most part, tired and, in my opinion, not funny in any way (I don't even consider it comedy, really). David Cross is a shitload better at his craft than LtCG and the comparison is silly when you put their work side by side.

Also, does anyone else think it's kind of stupid that someone with a pretend title (Cable Guy) would then be in a movie where he has a different title (Health Inspector)?

Either way, if this is your type of movie, then don't listen to me.
Old 03-27-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
d'ja ever fart so hard yer back cracked?

The humor is not my brand, so I'll be skipping this one. This film definitely has a target audience though and I don't doubt that it will do well and be appreciated by those people. Don't get me wrong, I like dick and fart jokes as much as the next guy, but I can't stand the ignorant redneck humor.
Old 03-27-06, 01:56 PM
Banned

Review for this oscar worthy flick:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20807
Old 03-27-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Review for this oscar worthy flick:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20807
Which, of course, didn't answer the obvious question.

Do we, or do we not, get to see the "full Larry?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.