Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you identify this movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to pick some brains. I'm trying to uncover the name of what might be an obscure movie. My brother has fleeting memories of seeing it on TV when he was a kid. This is what we know, more-or-less:
  • Time frame is late 1960s to late 1970s.
  • Genre is horror or thriller or paranormal (the imagery frightened him).
  • SCENE: Desert, possibly a dry lake bed in the desert. May have been a man with binoculars looking at distant mountains. What he saw would best be described as huge rocks or boulders rolling toward him. The boulders seemed to be evil, and were purposely coming for him.
My brother's recollection of this is extremely vague, and he isn't even sure a man or binoculars are really part of it. He just has the distinct memory that from far away, one could see nothing but mountains in the desert. But if you looked closely, these rocks were coming for you.

Has a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits feel to me. Google has thus far yielded nothing. Any ideas? Thank you.

--THX
Old 02-27-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's an Outer Limits episode that's ringing familiarity bells alongside your post, but I can't tell you which one it is.
Old 02-27-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Evil rocks? It's probably not it, but the first thing that came to mind was the cheapo Italian "Alien" ripoff "Alien 2: On Earth". Aliens, disguised as rocks, terrorize a group of spelunkers. It's really bad, but got some airtime on tv (in an edited version).

Is the time frame (late 60s to late 70s) when he saw it, or when it must have been made? I was assuming the latter with my first guess, but if its the former (meaning all the oldies are eligible) -- how about "The Monolith Monsters". It's an odd 50's sci-fi featuring deadly alien rocks.

Last edited by brainee; 02-27-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions. That reference to The Monolith Monsters looked intriguing, and a quick Google search brought me to a full description and review:

A meteor crashes near a small desert town and unleashes rocks capable of growing and moving across the countryside. A geologist has to find a way to stop them.
Can't get much closer than that. Have yet to hear back from my brother to confirm that this is, in fact, the movie he's been remembering from childhood, but I want to thank you both for your input.

--THX
Old 03-02-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
The Monolith Monsters, good movie, wish it was on dvd.
Old 03-02-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
The Monolith Monsters, good movie, wish it was on dvd.
It does have a very "Outer Limits"-vibe to it, both in its serious and (relatively) intelligent tone, and it's original "monster" idea. Though not on DVD, it does pop up on tv from time to time (channels like TCM and AMC).