Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Panther with Steve Martin. Will it be as bad as it looks?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-08-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the preview. I've seen the commercials. It looks embarrasing for everyone involved!
Has anyone heard anything about this remake??
Old 02-08-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Pink Panther with Steve Martin. Will it be as bad as it looks?

worse.
Old 02-08-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 140 Posts
I can't even watch the commercials without turning away.
Old 02-08-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, the original PP movies sucked and this looks 50x's suckier.
Old 02-08-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes. The only decent PP movie was A Shot In The Dark.
Old 02-08-06, 01:40 AM
En vacance

A Shot In the Dark, The Return of the Pink Panther, Pink Panther Strikes Again, and Revenge of the Pink Panther are the only good ones, in that Peter Sellers is the star and he plays Clouseau.
Old 02-08-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FRwL
A Shot In the Dark, The Return of the Pink Panther, Pink Panther Strikes Again, and Revenge of the Pink Panther are the only good ones, in that Peter Sellers is the star and he plays Clouseau.

Word.

The 1964 Pink Panther is boring as hell, and Peter Sellers has to share screen time with David Niven and Robert Wagner.

Indeed, the series doesn't get really good until Sellers hits his stride with the character.

Now, the 2006 version. Ugh. If the "hamburger" line is the best joke they can showcase in the commercial, then God help them.
Old 02-08-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The trailer is 100% not funny at all. This will probably have a decent opening and then disappear.
Old 02-08-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I still maintain that SLAPSTICK humor just isn't funny in 2006. Is it because the talent for doing it has been lost by both Actors and Directors alike or is it because audiences have grown past it?

Steve Martin, or anyone else for that matter, falling through a bathroom floor, landing behind a Hotel Desk and spitting out some lame line JUST ISN'T FUNNY in 2006. The odd thing is it WOULDA BEEN FRIGGIN HALARIOUS if it was a Marx Brother in a movie from back in the day. I mean I hate to sound like a Typical Dvdtalk Cinema SNOB but damn! SLAPSTICK HUMOR should be limited if not downright avoided in 99% of the modern movies not geared towards 2 year olds.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-08-06 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-08-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My question is, who are they marketing the movie to? The teenagers of today or adults who are familiar with the movies having seen them 30 years ago?
Old 02-08-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
worse.
I agree, although Im not sure how it is possible...
Old 02-08-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,271 Likes on 848 Posts
Peters Sellers as Clouseau is comedy gold. I watch the Pink Panther films about once a year and they crack me up every time. Not only will this remake suck, but it will suck even more because they got the casting wrong. Kevin Kline should have played Clouseau, not Steve Martin.
Old 02-08-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
My question is, who are they marketing the movie to? The teenagers of today or adults who are familiar with the movies having seen them 30 years ago?
I think that they are marketing to teenagers and that's the reason why Beyonce is in the movie. Plus they wouldn't be familiar with the original movies.
Old 02-08-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still maintain that SLAPSTICK humor just isn't funny in 2006. Is it because the talent for doing it has been lost by both Actors and Directors alike or is it because audiences have grown past it?

Steve Martin, or anyone else for that matter, falling through a bathroom floor, landing behind a Hotel Desk and spitting out some lame line JUST ISN'T FUNNY in 2006. The odd thing is it WOULDA BEEN FRIGGIN HALARIOUS if it was a Marx Brother in a movie from back in the day. I mean I hate to sound like a Typical Dvdtalk Cinema SNOB but damn! SLAPSTICK HUMOR should be limited if not downright avoided in 99% of the modern movies not geared towards 2 year olds.
I agree 100 percent.
Old 02-08-06, 10:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunday Morning
Yes. The only decent PP movie was A Shot In The Dark.
Agreed. And oddly enough it's the one most people are least familiar with (probably because "The Pink Panther" doesn't appear in the title). The other movies have some nice moments ("Does your dog bite?"), but overall they fail miserably.
Old 02-08-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i must be the only on but some of ithe clips are funny
Old 02-08-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's that bad. I do think their marketing is pretty awful. A lot of people I've talked to thought the movie already came out a long time ago.
Old 02-08-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slapstick is alive and well in Britain (see the success of Little Britain, Black Books, et. al.) My favorite TV show of all time is the British comedy Bottom ('91 - '95, and continuing on until present with live stage shows), which isn't much more than a nastier modern day version of the Three Stooges.
Old 02-08-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't Austin Power's slapstick? People went for that.
Old 02-08-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer have a ton of slapstick that I find to be pretty damn amusing. Shanghai Knights, not so much.
Old 02-08-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Beyonce pretty much killed it for me.
Old 02-08-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't think it's that bad. I do think their marketing is pretty awful. A lot of people I've talked to thought the movie already came out a long time ago.
This is probably due to the release date shuffle...originally scheduled for August, and got bumped... I don't think the previews are great, but it's certainly not looking like the worst movie ever...big momma's house 2 still holds that title in my books (from trailers anyhow)....

MATT
Old 02-08-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Recently, I've been suffering through an absolutely TERRIBLE PSA short that plays in front of movies at my local theater. It features Steve Martin as Clouseau, getting all huffy about a cell phone ringing in a theater, and it turns out to be his. The first time, I watched this atrocity with open mouth, stunned by the depths to which Martin has sunk and the sheer awfulness of the "humor." I mean, this thing is APPALLING.

Well, I recently visited my dad, and he talked about seeing that thing and loving it. I began to openly weep. I left the house and haven't spoken to him since.
Old 02-08-06, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by maingon
i must be the only on but some of ithe clips are funny
I have to admit that I have chuckled a little bit for some of them, but I have a feeling that those might be the funniest parts.

There might be a reason why this was pushed into February from the summer.
Old 02-08-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

who is the target audience for this film? or "Bringing Down the House" oe "Cheaper By the Dozen?" Steve Martin needs to realize that the people who enjoy these movies have shitty senses of humor and his legacy/career is beginning to suffer as a result (if it hasn't already).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.