Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Panther with Steve Martin. Will it be as bad as it looks?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pink Panther with Steve Martin. Will it be as bad as it looks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Steve Martin needs to realize that the people who enjoy these movies have shitty senses of humor
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 02-08-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I loved the original pink panther series. Its some of my favorite comedy. Im not too sure about this one though.
Old 02-08-06, 06:32 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
The other movies have some nice moments ("Does your dog bite?"), but overall they fail miserably.
Cynical to the peak?
The three made during the 70s that star Sellers and aren't archive compilation (Trail) are just as funny: Return, Strikes, Revenge.
Old 02-08-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
"That's a priceless Steinway!"

"Not any more."

Old 02-08-06, 06:38 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
Recently, I've been suffering through an absolutely TERRIBLE PSA short that plays in front of movies at my local theater. It features Steve Martin as Clouseau, getting all huffy about a cell phone ringing in a theater, and it turns out to be his. The first time, I watched this atrocity with open mouth, stunned by the depths to which Martin has sunk and the sheer awfulness of the "humor." I mean, this thing is APPALLING.
We have those in Loews@NYC. Horrible.

This movie will tank IMO - but then again: some really bad movies made some decent numbers in the last couple of weeks
Old 02-08-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by exm
We have those in Loews@NYC. Horrible.

This movie will tank IMO - but then again: some really bad movies made some decent numbers in the last couple of weeks
People seem to love to go spend a Friday or Saturday night watching crap.
Old 02-08-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Slapstick is alive and well in Britain (see the success of Little Britain, Black Books, et. al.) My favorite TV show of all time is the British comedy Bottom ('91 - '95, and continuing on until present with live stage shows), which isn't much more than a nastier modern day version of the Three Stooges.

So fuckin' what. Good for Britain. Maybe we should ge them to make all our comedies. But since that isn't going to happen....

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Little Britain too but the show doesn't depend soley on Slapstick.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-08-06 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Isn't Austin Power's slapstick? People went for that.

Come on. People tolerated the slapstick parts. People liked the characters in that movie because they were all likable and that was the heart of the movie.
Old 02-08-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Jeez, when I thought Hollywood couldn't come out with a more ill-advised remake after "The Honeymooners", they've succeeded.
Old 02-08-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chris Farley had the most recent successful slapstick movies.
Old 02-08-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maybe we should ge them to make all our comedies.
Please no. 'British Comedy' is an oxymoron.
Old 02-08-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Jeez, when I thought Hollywood couldn't come out with a more ill-advised remake after "The Honeymooners", they've succeeded.
Well, technically it's not a remake. Or if it is, I don't know which movie it's a remake of. Seem like its more like a sequel, which of course there have be many in the Pink Panther series
Old 02-08-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Peters Sellers as Clouseau is comedy gold. I watch the Pink Panther films about once a year and they crack me up every time. Not only will this remake suck, but it will suck even more because they got the casting wrong. Kevin Kline should have played Clouseau, not Steve Martin.
you're right eXcentris.
in fact i said that 2 years ago. here

martin as dreyfus and kline as clouseau and chan as cato(which was origionally reported) would have given this film a much better shot.
Old 02-09-06, 12:32 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh why are they making this, talk about fucking it up
Old 02-09-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
who is the target audience for this film? or "Bringing Down the House" oe "Cheaper By the Dozen?" Steve Martin needs to realize that the people who enjoy these movies have shitty senses of humor and his legacy/career is beginning to suffer as a result (if it hasn't already).

His pocketbook isn't suffering though. You can bet he's making a killing off these hack jobs. I can't really say that I blame him; he's built his legacy, and now people are willing to pay him 8 figures to do mediocre material...I know I'd have a hard time turning down the money.

Still, it's kinda sad though. I saw him on Letterman shilling Cheaper by the Dozen 2 a few weeks ago. Dave asked him what attracted him to this role...Steve said "the money". He played it off like a joke, but yeah, you could tell it was the truth also.
Old 02-09-06, 02:37 AM

30 years from now someone will bring up Pink Panther and the response "oh yeah, wasnt it with the guy from Cheaper by the Dozen?
Old 02-09-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So fuckin' what. Good for Britain. Maybe we should ge them to make all our comedies. But since that isn't going to happen....
Mee-ow.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Little Britain too but the show doesn't depend soley on Slapstick.
No, they also have fart and puke jokes.
Old 02-09-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Well, technically it's not a remake. Or if it is, I don't know which movie it's a remake of. Seem like its more like a sequel, which of course there have be many in the Pink Panther series
Call it a re-hash then.
Old 02-09-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thegingerbreadm
30 years from now someone will bring up Pink Panther and the response "oh yeah, wasnt it with the guy from Cheaper by the Dozen?
Old 02-09-06, 10:46 PM
Banned

Peter Sellers is a comedic genius. Steve Martin is also one, but Sellers will always be the best Clouseau.

I'll save my opinion for this new film (supposedly a prequel) until after I've seen it. Judging from the trailers, though, I'm sure the people behind this one know what they're doing.
Old 02-10-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For 89 minutes, bumbling Inspector Clouseau is too clueless to solve the murder of a soccer coach or find the famed missing Pink Panther diamond. And then, in the final three minutes, he solves the case with his superior intellect and police skills. That's entertainment. Ptui.

So much is going on in The Pink Panther -- bicyclists collide, old people blow up, furniture smashes and crashes.

Also, there's loud farting.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Reviews/P...0/1434870.html

Ouch.
Resorting to dick/fart jokes in a Pink Panther film? Not a good omen.
Old 02-10-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Damed
http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Reviews/P...0/1434870.html

Ouch.
Resorting to dick/fart jokes in a Pink Panther film? Not a good omen.

Why? It works on LITTLE BRITAIN....
Old 02-10-06, 03:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO Steve Martin's last really funny role was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I loved Bowfinger, but he was sort of the straight man in that.
Old 02-11-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the opening act sets up Martin as Clouseau well enough, what can I say, I laughed at most of the gags, plus Emily Mortimer stole my heart as well in this film. But as it gets into the heart of the "detective" work, there's a big lull between the 2nd and 3rd act, but the 3rd act almost pulls it out for the most part (who knew Jean Reno had those moves?), but it could have been less uneven with a bit more writing in the middle of the film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 02-11-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
IMO Steve Martin's last really funny role was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I loved Bowfinger, but he was sort of the straight man in that.
Martin has always been good in my opinion. Look at rarely seen gems like Lonely Guys and LA Story.
My question is, why is he doing crap nowadays like Cheaper By the Dozen and now this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.