Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scary Movie 4 Teaser + Posters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scary Movie 4 Teaser + Posters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scary Movie 4 is not a good movie. It's not even really that funny, but it was a quick and easy way to kill 80 minutes of my time today. Zucker and company have their vehicle going on all cylinders and it never stops to take a break. Jokes are being flung out from each and every direction in hopes of what works will stick. The only problem with this logic is that the film misses more times than it gets to hit. The film's terrible and unfunny gags just kill whatever power the good gags have when they're brought up to the table. I did chuckle a bit during the beginning, but by time the third act rolls around, everything has already been brought to the table and it seems the writers are just trying to pull jokes from wherever they can.

The film does include some great callbacks to the past outing (in a hope that the Wayans' first two films are long forgotten) and some fantastic parodies (including that of the already mentioned Million Dollar Baby and Tom Cruise's apperance on Oprah), but the film isn't worth a full price admission. Matinee or DVD rental at most.

Luckilly, it's a very quick 80 minutes. Not like Date Movie or Scary Movie 2 in which 80 minutes felt like an eternity.
Old 04-15-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The previews always look good for Scary Movie movies but they end up super sucking, I will avoid this on at all costs.
Old 04-16-06, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty hit or miss, but I still enjoyed it. There won't a four, hence the "Last Installment of the Trilogy" tagline. Zucker has "Superhero!" to finish.
Old 04-16-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
Pretty hit or miss, but I still enjoyed it. There won't a four, hence the "Last Installment of the Trilogy" tagline. Zucker has "Superhero!" to finish.
Considering that this entry will begin making a profit next weekend, it's guaranteed that a fifth outing will be greenlighted (especially since there's a huge chance this will end up grossing more than $100 million). Since Zucker is currently working on "Superhero!" for the Weinsteins, they actually might wait for him to be done with it before they start work on a Scary Movie 5. It took over two and a half years for Scary Movie 4 to be released, so I don't think the wait is going to hurt the box office takes.

At this point, I might actually look forward to see some fresh blood injected into Scary Movie 5 if they continue it without Zucker. If that's the case, the director and writing staff of Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th are all unemployed and need some work.

Okay, that's a lie. I don't know if they're unemployed, it's just a good assumption.
Old 04-17-06, 03:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction

I agree, and if one other person in the movie got hit by something... there were too many slapstick gags.

on a techincal note - I saw a DLP Digital projection showing and like the IMAX showings of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' the makeup was very obvious and distracting.
Old 04-17-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, I've read enough reviews and a lot of film snobs (not here) saying that this it was terrible and boring and blah, blah. I can certainly understand people saying that they don't like the movie, but some of the hate (especially for the 42million it rang up this weekend) seems forced. I'm not sure what you expect from Scary Movie 4, but I thought it was hilarious. A few examples. Leslie Nielsen is the man, period. Just about anything he says is hilarious, and he seemed to be in better shape in this one than the last one
Spoiler:
not that I enjoyed the multiple ass shots, but the Austin Powers-esque hiding with the flag was great
. Craig Bierko is also the man, his Tom Cruise impersonation through the whole movie was excellent, I like him in just about everything I see him in, I'm surprised he isn't in more. And the tour of the "Grudge" house with Cindy and the staffing manager guy was the highlight for me, almost spilled my popcorn on that one. Obviously the plot is almost non-existant, but at least it serves as a clothesline for the jokes. I never saw Date Movie since I heard so many people say that it was just bumping from one move to another. I thought they at least weaved in and out instead of jumping around. Good flick though, lots of good cameos too.
Old 04-17-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
on a techincal note - I saw a DLP Digital projection showing and like the IMAX showings of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' the makeup was very obvious and distracting.
The problem with the actual filming is that this happens to be one of the first mainstream films (outside of the work done by Lucas and Rodriguez) shot with all high definition cameras (I know Singer shot Superman Returns in HD as well using Panavision's new equipment). While some shots look fairly well done in HD, some others look very video like (especially any scene within the film that has low lighting or takes place at night). I'm assuming most of the crew was used to plain old 35mm film, but there's filters one can put on during post production to fix problems like that (it wont fix much, but it's still a solution of sorts).
Old 04-17-06, 05:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Craig Bierko is also the man, his Tom Cruise impersonation through the whole movie was excellent, I like him in just about everything I see him in, I'm surprised he isn't in more.
that's because he does a lot of stage work in NYC (I wish I had seen him when he was in 'Music Man') - this movie was a paycheck film. Not that he's bad - I like you enjoy his work alot, but when you do both play and film, the latter tends to pay better.
Old 04-17-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I know it was ripping on the Grudge, it seemed that it could have been ripping on The Skeleton Key as well. I didn't realize how similar The Grudge and Skeleton Key were (I much preferred SK to the US Grudge remake).
Old 04-18-06, 01:04 PM
Banned

I don't see the connection. In fact, i think "Skeleton Key" is somewhat underrated, given the lack of appreciation/attention given to solid "voo-doo" films.
Old 04-18-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The problem with the actual filming is that this happens to be one of the first mainstream films (outside of the work done by Lucas and Rodriguez) shot with all high definition cameras (I know Singer shot Superman Returns in HD as well using Panavision's new equipment). While some shots look fairly well done in HD, some others look very video like (especially any scene within the film that has low lighting or takes place at night). I'm assuming most of the crew was used to plain old 35mm film, but there's filters one can put on during post production to fix problems like that (it wont fix much, but it's still a solution of sorts).
There were so many points in the movie where it was apparent that they hadn't shot on film, it got kind of distracting. Hopefully, you're right and its just the case of an inexperienced digital crew, because it did seem like a step down from real film.

But as for the movie, some of the jokes did fall flat, but on the whole more hit than missed, so I enjoyed it. My favorite bit, which had me nearly crying was the
Spoiler:
subtitled Japanese sequence with the Grudge boy
Old 04-19-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, really dreadful movie. A few funny parts, scattered throughout a really unfunny film. Every single Scary Movie since part 1 has been rushed into theaters. Part 2 was, I think part 3 was, and this one definitely was. They were filming this thing back in January.

Why not take time to make a good script? This one had a coherent storyline, which was nice, but so many jokes fell flat and were met with total silence.
Old 04-19-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Lesson to be learned: beautiful woman in a movie does not mean it will be a hit; beautiful woman in a movie experiencing gas and bowel problems, then it will most likely do better!
I wonder when we will get a movie with Drew Barrymore, Elisha Cuthbert, and Jessica Alba as three girls who live together because they all have IBS?
Old 04-20-06, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Piece of shit... I laughed alot for the first 20 minutes and then it completely fell apart. SM1 and SM2 were way better. This was an improvement over 3, but it still sucked.
Old 07-23-06, 07:38 AM
Cool New Member

I thought scary movie 4 was the best one! Reaaaaaally funny, laughed throughout the whole movie myself. Who here is going to grab a copy of the unrated edition on dvd?