Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
39.88%
Return of the Jedi
60.12%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 07:49 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In some rankings people state Sith is the first prequel to be better than an OT film, Jedi; so which do you like better? Sith's 'darkness' isn't my preferrence which was done the best in Empire and Jedi wasn't supposed to be as dark as Empire or even Star Wars.
Jedi may not be the widely favored of the original trilogy but it is light years ahead of Sith. The return of Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher, the gloomy palace and the badass escape from Jabba with the greatest (and actually choreographed) space battle of Endor still unmatched to this day to the final confrontation on the second Death Star is one of the greatest, i pick Jedi easily.
Old 01-10-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
As much as everyone hated the prequels.. I just enjoyed the dark turn and the light saber battles of Sith a whole lot better than I enjoyed ewoks.
Old 01-10-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never seen a Star Wars movie. Commence bannination.

-JP
Old 01-10-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
I picked Sith but if you cut the Ewoks out of Jedi and cut the Greveous and Love scenes out of Sith (ie make both of them there best) I'd probably pick Jedi to be the better movie. I just really love the Luke/Vader/Emporer stuff.
Old 01-10-06, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return of the Jedi... No contest, the acting was better, it may have been a bit more corney but still funny and entertaining... Though I do agree that revenge of the Sith was the best of the pre-quals.
Old 01-10-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 325 Posts
Revenge of the Sith.
Old 01-10-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm officially on record as loving ROTJ and Sith. I think ROTJ is a very good film, even if it is the weakest of the original three. Sith is easily the best of the prequels. I hate having to pick between any Star Wars films, especially in a case like this where I love both films. But I'd give Sith the edge by a nose.

However, I suspect in the long run Jedi will win this poll, if for no other reason than the fact it's not a prequel.
Old 01-10-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sith. Just not a big fan of the Ewoks.
Old 01-10-06, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I've never seen a Star Wars movie. Commence bannination.

-JP
You're not missing out on as much as you would think.

Surely Empire is the best of all but I would rather watch RotJ than RotS any day. And I like Ewoks damnit. I love Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor but my hate for Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, and terrible dialog kind of kills the enjoyment factor of the prequels for me.
Old 01-10-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts
I like both a lot but I have to go with Sith. Here are my reasons:

Sith:
1. The best film for lightsaber battles - Empire has the best IMO but it is just one battle
2. The most evil performance in the saga - I think Palpatine in this barely surpasses Vader in Empire.
3. It does in the first 30 minutes what should have been done in the first two films - For the first time you see a tiny bit of good in Anakin and the bond between him and Kenobi feels real. The scene where they say good bye as friends is the best scene in the entire trilogy (again IMO)
4. A great space battle

Jedi has
1. The greatest space battle ever put on film
2. A good lightsaber battle

Both have a LOT of flaws but the highs in Sith are better to me than they are in Jedi.
Old 01-10-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
I just really love the Luke/Vader/Emporer stuff.
That and the slave-girl outfits are the only reasons that make me watch Jedi.
Old 01-10-06, 09:15 PM

I like sith better *yeah Im more for special effects*
Jedi seemed a bit too long and boring in places but I still wanna own the box set
Old 01-10-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe Sith is winning! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(kidding. Well, not really)
Old 01-10-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though Jedi is the weakest of the OT, and Sith is the strongest of the PT, I'd still have to vote for Jedi. Sith was still just a little too prequelly for me. The characters in the OT was were interesting, and between the Senate and the Council the whole thing was too political and too...real, I guess is the word. It needed more magic.
Old 01-10-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys are all voting for shit!!!!!!!!!

I had something intelligent to say but the fact that this is actually a poll is, well, ridiculous.
Old 01-10-06, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Libby
I like sith better *yeah Im more for special effects*
Jedi seemed a bit too long and boring in places but I still wanna own the box set
There were special effects in RotJ though they're certainly considered archaic today they required talent, thought, and ingenuity unlike todays CGI which is so overused.

Saying Sith is better than Jedi because of the effects is like saying Peter Jackson's Kong is better than the original because of the effects when the fact is that without the stop motion animation in the original there would be no CG Kong.
Old 01-10-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jedi, hands down. But of course, I've always loved the Ewoks.

What's funny is that two of my biggest complaints for years about Jedi were how Ian McDiarmid was too over-the-top as the Emperor("I can feeeeeeeeeeeel your anger!") and Vader was a damn pussy. Well, that flick doesn't hold a candle to Sith in that regard with McDiarmid's entire performance in the final hour(especially his cackling during the fight with Yoda) and Vader's infamous "NOOOOOO!!!".
Old 01-10-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yub yub. That should tell you what I voted for.
Old 01-10-06, 10:52 PM

I voted for Return of the Jedi (which happens to be the first Star Wars movie I ever saw as a kid). I don't look at Billy Dee Williams dancing and singing with Ewoks as "bad" or "corny". I look at it as comedic genius. Totally hilarious. I look at Jabba the Hut licking Princess Leah with his tongue in the same way. I couldn't stop laughing through this movie. I had a similar experience watching Rambo III.
Old 01-10-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts
I have to disagree with those who say the lightsaber battles were better in RoTS. Granted the choreography and style was several notches above what is seen in RoTJ but the shear emotion of the final lightsaber battle between Luke and Vader when vader threatens Luke with using Leia to coax Luke from his hiding spot gives me chills everytime I see it.

That plus the chase through the Endor forest which is one of, if not the greatest chase sequence in all of film history.
Old 01-10-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Jedi, easily.
Old 01-10-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sith definately! In fact I rank Attack Of The Clones over Jedi.
Old 01-11-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just as I suspected, ROTJ catches up and starts to win handily.

You guys are all voting for shit!!!!!!!!! I had something intelligent to say but the fact that this is actually a poll is, well, ridiculous.
One of the better I've seen in a long while.

Last edited by Terrell; 01-11-06 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by cactusoly
Sith definately! In fact I rank Attack Of The Clones over Jedi.
Eh....... I'm fine with people choosing Sith over Jedi as I enjoyed Sith as well but Attack of The Clones?! That was the worst star wars movie imo... Boring as heck (apart from the Yoda fight of course, that was awesome...).
Old 01-11-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
As much as everyone hated the prequels.. I just enjoyed the dark turn and the light saber battles of Sith a whole lot better than I enjoyed ewoks.
Compared to the darkness the series took in Empire, it seemed false and overly melodramatic in Sith. You should not be rolling your eyes when Anakin turns to the darkside. I dont know if that is because of Lucas's writing Christensen's performance or both.
As much as I hate the Ewoks, my vote goes to Jedi.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.