Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Inside Man" A potentially good movie with a great cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Inside Man" A potentially good movie with a great cast

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Anyone else here go to see it mainly because of him? I doubt that I'd been in such a hurry to see it had he not been in it.
Definitely played a major part in what sparked me to go see it. The premise really interested me at the start, but when I found out Owen was the center of the heist, it clinched a viewing. All three of the main talents were in high form - especially Foster's 15 minutes of energy.
Old 04-02-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too went because I'm a big Clive Owen fan. I too thought the last 1/4 of the film dragged. And I too thought that there were a lot (too much!) of holes in the plot.

Wish I had given this one a skip.
Old 04-02-06, 01:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
I too went because I'm a big Clive Owen fan. I too thought the last 1/4 of the film dragged. And I too thought that there were a lot (too much!) of holes in the plot.

Wish I had given this one a skip.
agree. not one person i talked to liked it. i love clive owen and was very disappointed with this role.
Old 04-07-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed this. I thought it had some really snappy dialogue. I did think the last 20 minutes fell a little flat, but in all it was a good 2 hours of film. Owen, Washington, and Foster were solid as always.
Old 04-09-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was pretty good. There were some plot holes as there are in any films like this.
Old 04-09-06, 03:25 PM

am I the only Spike Lee fan in existance??
Old 04-09-06, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by duckmuck
am I the only Spike Lee fan in existance??
Absolutely NOT!!!

Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, 4 Little Girls, 25th Hour, Jungle Fever....

I was a fan the moment I saw She's Gotta Have It... and I'm still a fan!!
Old 04-10-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SpringsGal
I really enjoyed the movie. The payoff in the end was a little disappointing (the reason behind the heist). But the acting was top notch and I enjoyed the dialogue (laughed out loud several times during the movie).

I had a couple of questions though (and maybe someone can clear it up).

Spoiler:
1. What was the role of the Rabbi in the whole heist scheme? Wasn't he in the bank during the heist? Did he help in any way during the heist?

2. The safe which contained the Nazi documents and diamonds. After the heist, Clive Owen leaves a few items in the safe (as a clue to Denzel). It takes Denzel a week to get a judge to sign the papers necessary to open that safe. Why doesn't the Christopher Plummer character (Arthur Case) open the safe in the meantime and empty that safe (take all the incriminating stuff that Clive Owen leaves in the safe for Denzel to find)? Why is all the stuff left for Denzel to find a week after the heist (when Christopher Plummer is so concerned about someone finding out his past)?

3. The purpose of the whole heist was to expose the Christopher Plummer character. Right? But it does not appear that Plummer has any consequence to pay for his past actions. Am I mistaken? Does Plummer get to experience any type of repurcussion for his past transgressions?
Spoiler:

1. I'm guessing the Rabbi may have been a relative of the Jewish jewellers that the Nazis took the diamonds from in the first place. Don't know why he was present in the bank at the time though. Maybe just to watch over things.

2. Jodie Fosters character had told him that Clive Owen had taken all the stuff in the safe box to use as leverage in case he was caught. So he didn't retrieve anything from the box as he thought nothing was in it.

3. Washington seems to leave it to Foster (and the Mayor) to rat on Plummer to the war crimes people. Whether Plummers character get's what he deserves in the end, I don't know.

I did find it odd though that with such a carefully orchestrated and well thought out plan, they would all still turn up outside the bank in the same car. To pull a stunt that got so much attention, and then assume that the authorities would forget about it after a week would be pretty dumb. They should have had Owen walk out on his own, catch a cab and meet at a rendevous later.
Old 04-10-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My biggest question, and I'm really hoping there's an easy answer I'm overlooking:

Spoiler:
How in the blue hell did Owen know which safe deposit box was Plummer's? There was the conversation that Plummer's character literally built the bank and put the stuff in the safe then.
Old 04-10-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
My biggest question, and I'm really hoping there's an easy answer I'm overlooking:

Spoiler:
How in the blue hell did Owen know which safe deposit box was Plummer's? There was the conversation that Plummer's character literally built the bank and put the stuff in the safe then.
Spoiler:
Maybe he too realised it was the only box that wasn't on the bank records. That's really the only way.
Old 04-10-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fmian
Spoiler:
Maybe he too realised it was the only box that wasn't on the bank records. That's really the only way.
Spoiler:
But then I've got two problems. Why would Plummer do something so stupid and obvious rather than just list it with worthless items. And how did Owen even know that stuff existed? Did somebody from Plummer's past tip him off?

I actually really liked the movie, but that's driving me nuts.
Old 04-10-06, 04:19 PM

Spoiler:

I did find it odd though that with such a carefully orchestrated and well thought out plan, they would all still turn up outside the bank in the same car. To pull a stunt that got so much attention, and then assume that the authorities would forget about it after a week would be pretty dumb. They should have had Owen walk out on his own, catch a cab and meet at a rendevous later.
Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my earlier questions

I also agree with your above observation.

Spoiler:
But I guess the director had to somehow show all the people that were involved in the heist at a later setting so that any doubts that the viewer may have as who all were involved in the plot would be removed. I also thought Clive Owen could have dressed up a little as he walked out of the bank. He could have taken a razor with him to shave and a decent change of clothes so that when he walks out he does not attract attention.
Old 04-10-06, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bravesmg

Spoiler:
yet another thing left unexplained in this movie.
Old 04-13-06, 09:52 PM
Banned

Saw the movie tonight. Really enjoyed it. I snuck into this one after 16 Blocks and although I thought that one was ok, this one really shined because of the performances and the direction.

Noticed something though: when all of the people were asked to disrobe, perhaps my being gay made me notice that there were ZERO shots of the men and all were of the women. That pissed me off.
Old 04-14-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

= J
Old 04-14-06, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino

= J
Oh come on!!!!!!!! there were like 4 shots of the women in their bras and panties and not ONE of the men in their undies. that pissed me off.
Old 04-14-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I went to see it for Clive Owen also.

Anyone else here go to see it mainly because of him? I doubt that I'd been in such a hurry to see it had he not been in it.
I did. I LOVE Clive Owens. That dud has a natural intensity that simply rocks. I think it's his eyes and his rugged features.

Anyway, I just got back and I liked it a lot. Great tension, great performances(Clive in particular), and although many here don't agree...the ending was great too. I still don't know how Spike pulled this one off but he did.
Old 04-14-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Oh come on!!!!!!!! there were like 4 shots of the women in their bras and panties and not ONE of the men in their undies. that pissed me off.

Really? I noticed that many of the men taking their shirts off had nice bodies and I'm straight. I guess my version on a guy's nice chest and abs is different from yours.

But then again I did notice plenty of fine ass women in this flick too. One of the Newscasters, both big tit girls, and the Albanian Ex wife. All hot.
Old 04-17-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We saw it last night. Very entertaining. I loved Jodie Foster's character. I wish she would make more good movies instead of the Flight Plan nonsense.

Anyway:

Spoiler:
Denzel Washington gets the box and the big-ass ring. How does he make the leap from the ring to Plummer's Nazi past? What did I miss?
Old 04-17-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CRM114
We saw it last night. Very entertaining. I loved Jodie Foster's character. I wish she would make more good movies instead of the Flight Plan nonsense.

Anyway:

Spoiler:
Denzel Washington gets the box and the big-ass ring. How does he make the leap from the ring to Plummer's Nazi past? What did I miss?
I think....it was

Spoiler:
The digital spy pen he(Denzel) planted on Foster when she went to talk to Owens. Later in the movie Denzel let her hear what Owens said to her about the Plummer's past.
Old 04-17-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think....it was

Spoiler:
The digital spy pen he(Denzel) planted on Foster when she went to talk to Owens. Later in the movie Denzel let her hear what Owens said to her about the Plummer's past.
I don't remember that happening.

Spoiler:
Denzel doesn't plant the pen on her, he only activates it when she and the mayor are bargaining with him. I assumed he found out the origins of the ring by taking it to an antique jeweller or something. Since the note he found with it told him to research the ring.
Old 04-17-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't remember that happening.

Spoiler:
Denzel doesn't plant the pen on her, he only activates it when she and the mayor are bargaining with him. I assumed he found out the origins of the ring by taking it to an antique jeweller or something. Since the note he found with it told him to research the ring.

Yep, you're right.
Old 04-19-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

decent movie. i really enjoyed my time watching it. while not great it was entertaining. good acting all around i thought. my only gripe is that the plot/script was clever and interesting but the pay off was a let down. perhaps it was the casual way it was revealed. otherwise the film was directed very well.

other than the non-clever ending, two points bothered me.

Spoiler:

1st. it appeared owens had about two feet atleast in his "cell." even though he was only to spend a week hidden, would the change of dimension of the room be noticed? it was a supply room, any and every employee would be allowed and might need to go there. none, not a soul, would sense or realise that change? seems pretty drastic.

2nd. after swat comes in and clears the place, despite the confusion of "everyone" leaving the bank, would it be standard to bring in dogs to sniff anyone hiding out? for one they never actually had a true, acurate count of the people in the bank, good or not. in any building there should be places to hide that wouldn't be obvious, aka, a vent or false wall. hence the whole reason cops will use dogs in searches of houses/buildings.

as well, the "shithole" why? why not use a bucket or something, i'm sure whatever could of ben filled with chemicals to stop the smell, for his benifit or to remain hidden.

even with that, i still really enjoyed this flick.
Old 04-19-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He could have used a bucket of cat litter or something and been done faster.
Old 04-24-06, 07:23 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i was disappointed that the scene when everyone had to strip down to their undies wasn't done more explicitly. I wanted to see close ups of the hotties ! Not wankworthy material at all Mr Lee !

Otherwise great movie

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.