Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Inside Man" A potentially good movie with a great cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Inside Man" A potentially good movie with a great cast

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the main shot I had in my mind when I posted the above.
Old 03-25-06, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw it tonight and just had two questions...

Spoiler:
what was the point of faking the hostage's death?

and

Spoiler:
what was with the hole they were digging in the supply room? I never saw it mentioned it again, but they seemed to spend an afwul lot of time digging that little hole
Old 03-25-06, 04:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tried-n-true
saw it tonight and just had two questions...

Spoiler:
what was the point of faking the hostage's death?

and

Spoiler:
what was with the hole they were digging in the supply room? I never saw it mentioned it again, but they seemed to spend an afwul lot of time digging that little hole
a) to prove he means business without really killing anyone.

b) it was his shit hole so he could shit in it and not have to stink up the bank.
Old 03-25-06, 05:02 AM
Banned

roten tomatoes again is wrong btw. this movie was pretty bad. it sets up an interesting/smart plot and winds up with some stupid twist ending. to many questions are left unanswered and the coincidences were beyond stupid. add to that horrible dialogue btw. probably a one time viewing but nothing better than your typical run of the mill heist flicks aside from the great acting.
Old 03-25-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was ok, maybe good but not great. Several times I got dizzy due to the camera work spinning around in circles. I found the ending quite predictable.
Old 03-25-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wanted to like this film more, as well, but it just didn't quite give me that juicy buzz of a good heist flick as I walked out of the theater.
Old 03-25-06, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
a) to prove he means business without really killing anyone.
but didn't that just escalate things to move faster than they really wanted?

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
b) it was his shit hole so he could shit in it and not have to stink up the bank.
ok, but spending the entire day digging a hole vs. just grabbing a bucket out of the janitor's closet?
Old 03-25-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this earlier today and thought it was really good. The main flaw is the overly convoluted plot, but the suspense and entertainment value are high.
Old 03-25-06, 07:05 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Just got back from seeing this and enjoyed it quite a bit. Definite noir vibe going for it. Story moved right along, was convincing and had a solid cast. My only gripe was the unncessary political commentary scattered throughout.
Old 03-25-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Saw it. Liked it a lot, and it was very entertaining. However, I do not necessarily agree with most of the critics who are saying this is one of the best things since sliced bread. I think that had any one other than Spike Lee delivered this movie, then the reviews would not be as favorable.
I am not saying the movie is bad, because it isn't, but I merely thought it ***/**** at best. It was nice to see Jodie Foster play a somewhat unlikeable character for the most part, and I think someone screwed up by not shelling out whatever money it took for Clive Owen to play James Bond.
Old 03-25-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw it today ... EXCELLENT movie. The dialogue was extremely fluid and engaging. The way ALL of the characters interacted was extremely well done.

I felt the noir-ish vibe as well from it. Very sharp.
Old 03-25-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Just to add, my showing was packed to the gills, with an audience comprised almost entirely of adults over 40. That is quite rare for a 4:00 PM show on Saturday afternoon, so this movie must have a lot of people clamoring to see it.
Old 03-25-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just to add, my showing was packed to the gills, with an audience comprised almost entirely of adults over 40. That is quite rare for a 4:00 PM show on Saturday afternoon, so this movie must have a lot of people clamoring to see it.
Same for my showing. Packed with the over 40 crowd, all of whom seemed to be in awe of the United 93 trailer. I think it'll play well with the older folks.

Inside Man was really good, not fantastic, until about the last 20 minutes. I agree with the DVDTalk review totally. It falls apart at the end and the character Denzel plays seems to do a 180 in an instant. Kinda left me with a sour taste, even though I mostly enjoyed the rest of it. Clive Owen is amazing though, he easily steals the film . . . although I enjoyed Denzel Washington and William Dafoe as well (Jodie Foster didn't do it for me)
Old 03-26-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
I quite enjoyed it. Great cast doing fine work. Does anybody do cool, understated monologes anywhere near as good as Denzel? He's amazing. The guy who played his partner was also great. I'm turning into a huge Clive Owen fan. That guy is so talented and can play so many different types of rolls. Too bad he didn't want Bond. I know he didn't need the role. But the franchise really needed him.
How many films will Christopher Plummer play the same bad guy in? He must have been THRILLED to be cast by Michael Mann as Mike Wallace. Sure he doesn't look or sound like him, but at least he wasn't the bad guy. Give this poor guy a break. He did save Maria and those Von Trapp brats, didn't he?

wasn't crazy about Spike's lame camera tricks. The spinning , wildly panning camera made me nauseous. All those pans were out of focus as well, at least in my theater.
Old 03-26-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will be seeing this one today. It looks to have a solid opening weekend, as it pulled in $9.3 million on Friday.
Old 03-26-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Saw it last night at a pack 7:30pm showing. Lots of great dialogue, plenty of laugh out loud moments, great music score. Recommended highly. Denzel and Clive were fantastic.
Old 03-26-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought this film was solid. No missteps in the cast or acting, like Brent L. said, nothing
"award winning" but pretty good. I went to see it for Owen and was not disappointed. It's a well-paced, solid thriller. I saw it in a packed, packed audience, and was surprised at how respectful everyone was. There were numerous parts where everyone erupted in laughter which was a good way to deflate the tension that was building up.

I'd rank this above 25th Hour but below DTRT, one of my all-time favorite movies.

(When I got home Mo' Better Blues was just starting on cable.)
Old 03-26-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
All those pans were out of focus as well, at least in my theater.
That's probably my only technical gripe. The effect they had when:

Spoiler:
the "hostage" was shot and Denzel went to the door

was kind of cool too, although from now it's hackneyed since I've seen it so many times.
Old 03-26-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
One thing I THINK I noticed, but not sure. When the pizzas are delivered, didn't the pizza box say "Sal's Famous" on them? Anyone notice? If so, a nice nod to DTRT
Old 03-26-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

INSIDE MAN and MATCH POINT are very similar movies in which:
a. both movies are excellent thrillers
b. both directors haven't made such a successful commercial/mass appeal movie in years
c. both movies don't seem like the typical style of those directors (although Spike did have a bit of his rascism shtick in his, but it wasn't the main point)
d. both directors proved that they still have something in them even if they "sell out" by doing "hollywood-type" movies. They basically created two excellent hollywood-type movies and it shows they aren't stuck in doing their little low budget shtick movies.
Old 03-26-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I went to see it for Owen and was not disappointed.
I went to see it for Clive Owen also.

Anyone else here go to see it mainly because of him? I doubt that I'd been in such a hurry to see it had he not been in it.
Old 03-26-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Very good film. Not great. I'd give it a solid *** out of ****. It dragged a bit in parts. Great script and cast though. And man, Jodie Foster's performance must clocked in less than 10 or 15 minutes for the entire film. She looked fantastic.
Old 03-27-06, 02:32 PM

Several times I got dizzy due to the camera work spinning around in circles
Me too.

I thought it was pretty good. I agree with Roger Eberts review. I don't agree with him very much. But, I thought he was spot on.
Old 03-28-06, 03:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tried-n-true
but didn't that just escalate things to move faster than they really wanted?

ok, but spending the entire day digging a hole vs. just grabbing a bucket out of the janitor's closet?
a) yes, but they had to show that they couldn't be bullyed. if denzel attacked clive, and clive did nothing this would show as weakness. at least that was my opinion.

b) i'm assuming it would stink really bad and people would begin to look around.
Old 03-28-06, 12:06 PM

I really enjoyed the movie. The payoff in the end was a little disappointing (the reason behind the heist). But the acting was top notch and I enjoyed the dialogue (laughed out loud several times during the movie).

I had a couple of questions though (and maybe someone can clear it up).

Spoiler:
1. What was the role of the Rabbi in the whole heist scheme? Wasn't he in the bank during the heist? Did he help in any way during the heist?

2. The safe which contained the Nazi documents and diamonds. After the heist, Clive Owen leaves a few items in the safe (as a clue to Denzel). It takes Denzel a week to get a judge to sign the papers necessary to open that safe. Why doesn't the Christopher Plummer character (Arthur Case) open the safe in the meantime and empty that safe (take all the incriminating stuff that Clive Owen leaves in the safe for Denzel to find)? Why is all the stuff left for Denzel to find a week after the heist (when Christopher Plummer is so concerned about someone finding out his past)?

3. The purpose of the whole heist was to expose the Christopher Plummer character. Right? But it does not appear that Plummer has any consequence to pay for his past actions. Am I mistaken? Does Plummer get to experience any type of repurcussion for his past transgressions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.