Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who thinks King Kong will bomb?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who thinks King Kong will bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, Episode I was expected by some to surpass Titanic and look what happened there
Had the film been able to live up to the unlivable hype and expectations, it might have given it a run. The only problem was the hype and expectations were ridiculous and completely unreasonable. That was the only film capable of that. But since it disappointed a lot of people, it didn't.

I even think the predictions that this film would do 400 million dollars domestic were stupid as well. This film was never going to do that kind of money. If LOTR couldn't hit 400 million, no way in hell Kong would.

I thought it had a chance at 300 million, but it's going to need 75 million or better this weekend, and some serious legs to reach that number.
Old 12-16-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Kong is the only movie I'm going to see this holiday (in a theater, at least...) and I'm waiting until Sunday, because I had to work this week. I don't do weekday/night movies because I'm a school teacher and have to be at school by 7:30 every morning....
Old 12-16-05, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
what's #1?
Yeah, Gone with the Wind, at 1.3 billion.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

-JP
Old 12-16-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Return of the King opened up on a Wednesday about the same time two years ago, and made about $124 million through it's opening weekend. Compare King Kong's performance through Sunday and you'll probably end up with a decent estimate of what it will make overall.
I would think that Return of the King was far more front loaded on its first day (and opening weekend) than Kong will be.

I don't think that would be a good comparison really. Kong will make more money percentage wise during the weekend than RoTK did comparitivly.

As for that list of all time grossers adjusted, it's not really the full picture. It only considers domestic...if you consider worldwide, it's close between Gone With the Wind and Titanic. Since Titanic's domestic gross is only 1/3rd of the total gross, that would put its total around 2.44 billion. Gone With the Wind would be a little bit more though if you consider worldwide I think. I don't think any other films adjusted cracks 2 billion.
Old 12-16-05, 09:09 PM

I still don't know why they opened this one on a Wensday. It has the potenial to be a blockbuster, but not that kind of one. I say they should of just opened on Friday and let it go.
Old 12-16-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
thats the one thing that the 1976 did better then the 1933 version. 1933 version there was nothing between anne and kong, she didnt care when he died there wasnt any sad emotion really when he died. The 1976 version I thought did a good job of creating the bond between Kong and Anne. Thats what makes the story in my opinion.

When I watched kong (1933) i was suprised how there wasnt any connection between Kong and Anne. I am glad Peter Jackson kept the bond between Anne and Kong.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. FWIW, since my first post, I did see Kong and will see it again. BTW, I'm not a fan, but kudos to Black. He carries as much of the film as Watts and Kong.

Like a lot of others (Harryhausen, Bradbury and Ackerman to name a few, and... no, I'm not ashamed to name drop), I found the original Kong to be very sympathic. A beast, an animal...yes, but not a villan.

I just found the ann/Kong dynamic to be totally unbelievable, in Dino's and Jackson's Kongs. It's absolutely ridiculous. Wouldn't happen and I don't care who you are, woman or man. No disrespect intended, but even Jane Goodall would have soiled herself in Kong's clutches. I find it unbelievable human behavior and unnecessary to telling Kong's tragedy.

I suppose if one can accept all the other unbelievable aspects beyond the obvious, what's a little unbelievable human behavior. I guess I would have preferred Kong as lost world science fiction rather than a lost world fantasy.

However, be all that as it may, I have to say Jackson's Kong is a great movie. Can't wait for the DVD.
Old 12-16-05, 10:25 PM

I think the whole point is, that while she was originally scared of Kong, she realized that deep down he wasn't that fearsome beast. She didn't care for him right off, it was something she grew started to do, after he showed other emotions and even saved her life countless times. The one thing Peter Jackson done in this film, is show emotions with Kong's eyes and that told the story. Great job.

I for one, hate Jack Black, but his character worked in this film, 'cept for the last line. He botched that one.
Old 12-17-05, 10:56 AM
Retired

All but the 11:15 showing ended up selling out at the theater I caught it at last night. I have a feeling it's going to make pretty good cash this weekend.
Old 12-17-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Estimated at $30,306,000 for Wed-Fri (worldwide is $38,306,000)
Old 12-17-05, 02:45 PM

Kong may not have a huge opening weekend, but like batman begins and others it will stay around longer then other movies. I will be seeing it again tuesday with some people from school and then friday my familys going to see it.
Old 12-17-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do think this one will have legs up until Oscar time. But some people have no patience and want to write this one as a failure. I'm going to see it at least 2 more times...possibly a 4th if I'm still pumped about it.
Old 12-17-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i walked by my local theater and it was almost empty even though Kong was playing on 3 screens. When LOTR was here it was packed and they had multiple lines stretching around the block.

This is a BOMB. If it makes money late in it's run like titanic than the theaters keep more of the take and it's still a loss for the studio unless the DVD is a blockbuster.
Old 12-17-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I still don't know why they opened this one on a Wensday. It has the potenial to be a blockbuster, but not that kind of one. I say they should of just opened on Friday and let it go.
I'm suprised at the numbers. I figured $100 million was a given for the 5 day weekend but now I'm not so sure. I think they should have waited another week and shown it closer to the holidays as was the case with ROTK. I realise next weekend will be last minute shopping and holiday celebration, but I think the numbers would have been better with people being off work and out of school. Even so, it'll make good money in the weeks to come.

Saw it last night and really loved the Island and New York segments.
Old 12-17-05, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i walked by my local theater and it was almost empty even though Kong was playing on 3 screens. When LOTR was here it was packed and they had multiple lines stretching around the block.

This is a BOMB. If it makes money late in it's run like titanic than the theaters keep more of the take and it's still a loss for the studio unless the DVD is a blockbuster.
this movie is no BOMB. people like you overreact because of one weekend. Next weekend is christmas break it will do good business next week and will have legs.
Old 12-17-05, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Right, good one.

Going to make close to $200 million just in the U.S. Factor in overseas and DVD sales, and you've got a pretty big success story. The amazing reviews it has been getting won't hurt it either.
Old 12-17-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wow, I really like how everyone is a Box office pro now with a couple of web sites and a couple days worth of take ins. This is far from over and calling anything a bomb is pretty silly till way down the line. Especially with the change to DVD's as much, if not more income for a film now a days.
Old 12-17-05, 04:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
Right, good one.

Going to make close to $200 million just in the U.S. Factor in overseas and DVD sales, and you've got a pretty big success story. The amazing reviews it has been getting won't hurt it either.
if you are factoring in overseas, US, and DVD sales then when all is said and done it will make way more than $200 mil.
Old 12-17-05, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
if you are factoring in overseas, US, and DVD sales then when all is said and done it will make way more than $200 mil.
"Going to make close to $200 million just in the U.S."

Old 12-18-05, 05:12 PM

Things don't seem to be looking all that great. I just checked, and Return of the King actually made more in it's 2nd Wednesday-Sunday time period (over $72 million) than King Kong did in it's first. I think King Kong might fall just a bit short of making back it's production budget of $207 million (from boxofficemojo.com). Factor in the marketing costs, which have got to be really high as well, and it looks like unless the international box office is really good, this might not reach profitability until the DVD hits.
Old 12-18-05, 06:13 PM

Kong is doing rather better internationally ($80m after 5 days.) It also has the advantage of not facing any new action competition for weeks and months to come. That's huge, given there are two big holiday weekends coming up. It'll probably make it into the black on its initial run, though it's not going to set the world on fire.

Someone over at Box Office Mojo mentioned that Kong is $9 million behind Fellowship of the Ring to date. Which makes sense when you think about it--That $9 million represents the hardcore LOTR fans. LOTR and Potter and Star Wars and even Narnia benefited from having large pre-existing fanbases of people who were willing to re-arrange their schedules to see their dream movie in the middle of the week. Kong didn't really have that.
Old 12-18-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In retrospect, it was probably ill-advised to release it on the last shopping weekend before Christmas. Most of my local theaters are located in shopping centers, which was enough to keep me away. On top of the last weekend of holiday parties, etc. I will probably catch it this week, but more likely the week between Christmas and New Years.
Old 12-18-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this quote in the other box office thread:

"Grosses for "King Kong" jumped 40 percent from Friday to Saturday, a huge increase for a non-family film and a sign that good word-of-mouth was pulling in audiences, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations."

Of course, when I mentioned the 40% jump from Friday to Saturday was probably due to the positive word of mouth, I got the typical so what comments from registered dvd talk cynics.

I think that's great considering what time of year it is....the last weekend before Christmas, which should have lots of people spending time shopping, etc.
Old 12-18-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm no box-office master, but I went to go see this at 4:30pm, and it was sold out for the day already... that's a good sign!

I loved the movie, I think it will do well.
Old 12-18-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Worldwide: $146,200,000
Old 12-18-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darqleo

Exactly. Having made that much money worldwide in it's opening weekend this can hardly be called a bomb- it will make it's money back easily this month and when the DVD comes around will make scads more. Why people seem to WANT good movies to fail these days is beyond me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.