Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rank Moore's Bonds

Old 12-01-05, 04:59 AM
En vacance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rank Moore's Bonds

Rank all 7 of Roger Moore's Bond flicks. He did commentary for all his films for the upcoming dvds and one for A View to a Kill (1985) he says "I look young here." That's our Rog.

1.The Spy Who Loved Me- What can i say that hasn't been said a billion times before? Grand, extravagent.

2.For Your Eyes Only- A down to earth Bond that's got all the Flemingness.

3.The Man with the Golden Gun- I like the locale, photography, and the non-anchored plot. Just two guys trying to find and kill each other, i overlook the annoying sheriff and midget.

4.Octopussy- Very fun, like Indiana Jones, lots of wit.

5.Moonraker- Every penny from the large budget can be seen.

6.A View to a Kill- Moore grew into the role so much by now, it overcomes his oldness. Kind of a Goldfinger type copy but enjoyable nonetheless.

7.Live and Let Die- The surrealistic and slick that doesn't measure up. The chase and suspense formula wears thin. Too 70's for me.
Old 12-01-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1)Spy
2) Moonraker - first Bond I was taken to see in a theater, so it has sentimental/nostalgic value for me.
3) Man w/GG - Not the best of the Bonds but one of those that for whatever reason I have always stopped and watched it dating back to when it was on HBO alot in the early 80's.
4) FYO
5) OP
6) L & LD
7) AVTAK

I grew up on the Moore Bonds, so I don't dislike them or more specifically his performance as Bond like alot of others do.
Old 12-01-05, 05:56 AM
En vacance

He's certainly in my top two favorite Bonds.
Old 12-01-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1) For Your Eyes Only
2) The Spy Who Loved Me
3) Octopussy
4) Moonraker
5) A View To A Kill
6) The Man With The Golden Gun
7) Live and Let Die
Old 12-01-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) For Your Eyes Only - Easily Moore's best performance as Bond. Great action scenes, hot Bond chick(who can even act), and nice continuity with the previous entries. If it had John Barry scoring instead of Bill Conti and a better villain than Kristatos, it would crack my Top 5.

2) The Spy Who Loved Me - Similar flaws as FYEO. No John Barry score and a really weak villain. Too bad they couldn't use Blofeld as originally planned. Jaws and Barbara Bach made up for that though.

3) Moonraker - Underrated entry in the series. Yes, the last 15 minutes are absurd, but the rest of the movie is pretty damn solid. One of John Barry's best scores, great action sequences(at least up until the space scenes), a decent Bond girl, an amusingly lowkey villain in Drax, and the return of Jaws.

4) A View To a Kill - Another underrated Bond film. Yes, Moore was way too old for the role at this point and Tanya Roberts sucked as the Bond girl, but the rest of the movie wasn't bad at all. Christopher Walken's Zorin was fun(I love his laugh right before he plummets to his death), Grace Jones was suitably creepy as May Day, John Barry delivered a kickass score which was complimented by Duran Duran's title song, the action sequences were great(even if it was obvious Moore wasn't in any of them), and best of all, it featured a cameo by Dolph Lundgren.

5) The Man With the Golden Gun - Not a very good movie. Christopher Lee was terrific as Scaramanga and I did like Maud Adams' character before she was unceremoniously killed off. The rest of the film sucked though. Tattoo made a terrible henchman, John Barry's score was easily his worst in the series, the action was almost nonexistent, Britt Ekland was annoying, and Sheriff Pepper unfortunately returned.

6) Octopussy - 2nd worst film in the series. To this day, the plot still confuses me. That general dude was arguably the worst Bond villain ever(although Jeroen Krabbe and Joe Don Baker in The Living Daylights give him a run for his money). Maud Adams was much worse in this than TMWTGG. Roger Moore was starting to look too old for Bond. And worst of all, Bond disguised as a clown. The only highlights were the kickass opening and closing action sequences and John Barry's return.

7) Live and Let Die - The worst Bond movie ever. Moore's introduction was pathetic compared to the other 4 actors. The villains sucked. Solitaire was a lame Bond girl(at least she was hot though). There was no action aside from a drawn out, boring boat chase which was made even worse by Clifton James. About the only bright spot was the opening song by Wings.
Old 12-01-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
2. Moonraker (this introduced me to Bond)
3. For Your Eyes Only
4. A View to a Kill
5. The Man with the Golden Gun
6. Octopussy
7. Live and Let Die
Old 12-01-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.) For Your Eyes Only
2.) A View To A Kill
-----------------------
3.) Octopussy
4.) Live and Let Die
-----------------------
5.) The Spy Who Loved Me
6.) Moonraker
7.) The Man With The Golden Gun

I love the 1st 2, some of my favorite Bonds, enjoyed the 2nd 2, and barely remember the last 3 which I definately need to go back and rewatch. What I do remember was the last 3 were big letdowns when I originally watched them and that Bond was a real a-hole in Golden Gun.
Old 12-01-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. For Your Eyes Only
2. The Spy Who Loved Me
3. Moonraker
4. The Man With The Golden Gun
5. Live And Let Die
6. A View To A Kill
7. Octopussy
Old 12-01-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
2) The Spy Who Loved Me - Similar flaws as FYEO. No John Barry score and a really weak villain. Too bad they couldn't use Blofeld as originally planned. Jaws and Barbara Bach made up for that though.
I had never heard any lore pertaining to the premise of Blofeld being the villain in this movie. Would have made for an incredible film, especially if they had Telly Savalas repeating the role or someone who could measure up to the task of playing him.
Old 12-01-05, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by nightmaster
I had never heard any lore pertaining to the premise of Blofeld being the villain in this movie. Would have made for an incredible film, especially if they had Telly Savalas repeating the role or someone who could measure up to the task of playing him.
Blofeld and SPECTRE were in the original script, but EON replaced him with Stromberg(or whatever his name was) because they didn't want any legal hassles with Kevin McClory.

That's probably why they just decided the hell with it and just killed off Blofeld at the beginning of For Your Eyes Only.
Old 12-01-05, 12:39 PM

1. The Man with the Golden Gun
2. The Spy Who Loved Me
3. Moonraker
4. For Your Eyes Only
5. Octopussy
6. A View to a Kill
7. Live and Let Die
Old 12-01-05, 12:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The Spy Who Loved Me
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
A View to a Kill
The Man with the Golden Gun
Live and Let Die
Moonraker
Old 12-01-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. For Your Eyes Only - Best and grittiest Moore film. Wish he had made some more of these.
2. The Spy Who Loved Me - Freaking Barbara Bach. I could look at her all day long. Intro of Jaws.
3. Octopussy - My first James Bond movie I ever saw in the theater. Love the title and Moore, though playful, did not seem too obnoxious.
4. The Man With The Golden Gun - Bond gets a tasty third nipple. Christopher Lee is cool and hey...it has Tattoo! Also Bond gets pretty rough with his women.
5. Moonraker - Pretty bad but it always holds my interest. Jaws finds love. And with a character named Holly Goodhead...well, you just have to love that.
Tie for worst - 6. Live and Let Die & A View to a Kill - though both have some parts I love, both can be tedious to watch. Both villains suck. Christopher Walken is awful and Tanya Roberts...eh, let's just say a cardboard box could have acted just as well. Moore is just too damn old by that time. LALD takes away his smokes & vodka and replaces them with Cigars and Whisky. Also...no "Bond, James Bond." Kananga blows up like a balloon.
Old 12-01-05, 04:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

1) Spy Who Loved Me
2) Octopussy
3) For Your Eyes Only
4) The Man with the Golden Gun
5) Moonraker
6) Live and Let Die
7) A View to a Kill
Old 12-01-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LoL The listing is all over the place!

#1-The Spy Who Loved Me
#2-For Your Eyes Only
#3-Octopussy
#4-Live and Let Die
#5-Moonraker
#6-A View to A Kill
#7-The Man With The Golden Gun
Old 12-01-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

#1-The Spy Who Loved Me
#2-For Your Eyes Only
#3-Octopussy
#4-Live and Let Die
#5-Moonraker
#6-A View to A Kill
#7-The Man With The Golden Gun
This is closest to mine, but I'd swap 1 and 2.
Old 12-01-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And I thought this was going to be about Julianne Moore's breasts...
Old 12-01-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Spy Who Loved Me
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. Live and Let Die
4. Man with the Golden Gun
5. Octopussy
6. Moonraker
7. View to a Kill
Old 12-01-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There really isn't a 007 film I've really disliked.

1) Spy Who Loved Me
2) Live and Let Die (I know not favored by many, but I just like it)
3) For Your Eyes Only
4) Octopussy
5) Moonraker
6) A View to a Kill
7) Man with the Golden Gun
Old 12-02-05, 12:27 AM
Banned

1)octopussy
2)moonraker
3)for Your Eyes Only
4)a View To A Kill
5)man With Golden Gun
6)spy Who Loved Me
7)live & Let Die
Old 12-02-05, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Autotelik
There really isn't a 007 film I've really disliked.
Guess you haven't seen the new ones. J\K of course.

Moore is my 2nd favorite Bond (next to Connery). Almost all of his movies are classics. But, what's the deal with the new Bond DVD's. I'm sure 1000 threads exist already, but are they rereleasing ALL of them?

The List:
The Spy Who Loved Me
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
Moonraker-Actually one of my favorite Bond movies, despite it being so damn corny
Live and Let Die
A View to a Kill
Old 12-02-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
6) Octopussy - 2nd worst film in the series. To this day, the plot still confuses me. That general dude was arguably the worst Bond villain ever(although Jeroen Krabbe and Joe Don Baker in The Living Daylights give him a run for his money). Maud Adams was much worse in this than TMWTGG. Roger Moore was starting to look too old for Bond. And worst of all, Bond disguised as a clown. The only highlights were the kickass opening and closing action sequences and John Barry's return.
Wait a minute...Bond disguisng himself as a clown to sneak into a circus offended you but the scene with him swinging from some vines and doing the tarzan yell doesn't get mentioned?

At least the clown bit made sense and would solmewhat qualify as sneaking/spying.
Old 12-02-05, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Wait a minute...Bond disguisng himself as a clown to sneak into a circus offended you but the scene with him swinging from some vines and doing the tarzan yell doesn't get mentioned?

At least the clown bit made sense and would solmewhat qualify as sneaking/spying.
I guess the previous Moore Bond flicks made me numb to pop culture references. The Spy Who Loved Me used music from Lawrence of Arabia during one of the desert scenes. Moonraker used the 5 tones from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. So a Tarzan yell was par for the course at that point. Besides, that same summer another movie hit theaters featuring a Wookiee doing a Tarzan yell.
Old 12-02-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For Your Eyes Only
The Spy Who Loved Me
Octopussy
Moonraker
Live and Let Die
A View to a Kill - I can barely watch it.
Old 12-02-05, 01:33 AM
Cool New Member

I think all of Moore's Bond films suck, it's just a question of how much.

My rankings:

1. For Your Eyes Only
2. The Spy who Loved Me
3. Live and Let Die
4. Octopussy
5. The Man with the Golden Gun
6. A View to a Kill
7. Moonraker

I just don't like Moore's tongue-in-cheek take on the role. I'll take Connery...or Dalton...or Brosnan...or Lazenby over Moore any day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.