Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

An American Haunting

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

An American Haunting

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
An American Haunting

Looks pretty good:

Trailer
Old 12-01-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally a movie about the Bell Witch that looks good.

I've been to the Bell property in Adams, TN and toured the cave. Very creepy.
Old 12-01-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks promising!
Old 12-01-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That trailer is great.
Old 12-02-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
WOW...awesome trailer but never heard of the Director....hope it doesn't end up another watered down PG-13 kid friendly fest.
Old 05-05-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to watch this tonight and there were quite a lot of people in the theater, and holy lord was it a piece of crap. To sum up the entire flick, as soon as the movie was over and the credits started to roll, one of the guys in the audience simply shouted out "Well hell..."

Stay away from this one, for the sake of your sanity and your wallet. I am not exagerating either when I say it's one of the worst flicks I've ever seen. The only "good" thing that I can say about it is that it is funny, in a bad way. It's funny in the same way that something like The Village and The Day After Tomorrow is funny. The crowd I watched it with was laughing all the way through it, and making sarcastic remarks every now and then.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 05-05-06 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-06-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought about the checking this out while reading about it a few weeks ago, but it's getting trashed by most critics. That 19% rating at rottentomatoes doesn't improve things.
Old 05-06-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh! What a disappointment! I've read many books on the subject and this is the best the writers could come up with? The performances are strong and there is some creepy atmosphere. That's it.
Old 05-06-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had to leave this movie early, could someone please summarize the ending for me? I wasn't too impressed with what I saw (about an hour) so I don't want to see it again, but I'm curious how it ended. Thanks.
Old 05-06-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't like the modern aspect of the story, but I thought the movie worked for what it was - a simple haunting story. They could have done more with the source material, but they could have done far, far worse too. I enjoyed it a lot - the time flew by for me. Sad to see it tanking, but I guess that means I get the DVD sooner.
Old 05-06-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't open anywhere near me (I don't even think they bothered opening it in Canada) but as soon as I saw the trailer and the "Directed by Courtney Soloman" credit, I knew I'd be skipping this one... from the genius who brought us "Dungeons & Dragons"...yeah, I'll take a pass.

MATT
Old 05-07-06, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by TruGator
I had to leave this movie early, could someone please summarize the ending for me? I wasn't too impressed with what I saw (about an hour) so I don't want to see it again, but I'm curious how it ended. Thanks.
Spoiler:
The mom finds out from the ghost that the father has been raping the daughter. The mom then poisons her husband and he dies. When he dies, the ghost stuff stops. Then it flashes back to the present and the mom realizes that her ex-husband is molesting their daughter, hence the reasons for the poltergeist activity starting up again in the present. She chases after the husband as he drives away with the girl and it cuts to a black screen with text explaining what a poltergeist is and how this is a possible explanation for the Bell Witch story. Then someone yells out, "What a bunch of stupid shit," and roll credits.

Be glad you left when you did. The ending is shit.
Old 05-07-06, 11:16 PM

just saw this.
definitly the WORST movie i've seen this year.
You know it's bad when the people you go with say "I'd rather be forced to sit through Boogeyman again." it's just that bad. the whole movie is shit. not one scare, not one interesting thing.
i thought i'd like this b/c i like the drama horror genre (I loved "Emily Rose"). But this is total shit- no one can act (not even the leads) and the sets look like... well, sets. I could practically see the fog machines.
really bad.
F-
Old 05-08-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The film does not take into account the actual documented occurrences:

Spoiler:
When the spirit left, it said it would be back in a number of years and it did return. The spirit took credit for killing John Bell. The spirit had a loud commanding voice, not the whispery girlish voice in the film.