Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did you Like Lord of the Rings?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Does LOTR Rock?
Yes
71.72%
No, it Puts Me to Sleep!
9.66%
LOTR is Great, But a Tad Overrated...
18.62%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Did you Like Lord of the Rings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought they were enjoyable, but nothing to jump up and down about. I'm also in the camp who thought the movies got progressively less entertaining as each one was released.

They certainly didn't have the cultural impact that STAR WARS had, and no, I don't think many but the truly die-hard will be talking about these movies 20 years from now.
I guess that depends on your definition of "die-hard", but I except a significantly large portion of the population will be watching and talking about LOTR in 20 years.
Old 11-15-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I really enjoyed the LOTR movies. My favorite is FOTR but that is because for me, it seems to be closest to the books. I think that this epic will stand the test of time. Especially if the book is any indication. I mean now days you see alot of people who do not like to read books and would prefer to watch movies.
Old 11-15-05, 01:04 PM

I liked them and I have them all on DVD(both versions), but for all 3 movies to be ranked in the Top 20 at the IMDB is absurd. They're not THAT great, people.

The original, unaltered Star Wars Trilogy is vastly superior IMO.
Old 11-15-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought they were well made, but I found the characters and story boring. I thought the pacing was slow as well. I watched FOTR and TTT in theaters, and I felt as if I was in there for four hours. I also didn't care for the continuous shots of teary-eyed faces, as if Jackson was trying to force us to feel for the characters. I found the way they would continually make us think a character died or was severely injured, only to be okay, a bit grating as well.

I think Jackson did a good job, but just didn't dig the characters or story, and that's no fault of his. I did like TTT the most out of the three. I really enjoyed Helm's Deep.

As for whether they stand the test of time, probably. But who can tell at this point. Only time can tell how popular they will be 25-30 years from now.

Last edited by Terrell; 11-15-05 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought they were awesome. I definitely think they'll stand the test of time since the books they're based on have held up pretty well.
Old 11-15-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
They currently have about a 75% chance of being the favorite movies of my life. So yeah, I think they hold up.
Old 11-15-05, 01:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
I thought they were well made, but I found the characters and story boring. I thought the pacing was slow as well. I watched FOTR and TTT in theaters, and I felt as if I was in there for four hours. I also didn't care for the continuous shots of teary-eyed faces, as if Jackson was trying to force us to feel for the characters. I found the way they would continually make us think a character died or was severely injured, only to be okay, a bit grating as well.

I think Jackson did a good job, but just didn't dig the characters or story, and that's no fault of his. I did like TTT the most out of the three. I really enjoyed Helm's Deep.

As for whether they stand the test of time, probably. But who can tell at this point. Only time can tell how popular they will be 25-30 years from now.
I somewhat agree - I thought the teary eyed moments in ROTK were a tad overboard and the multiple endings just went on forever. Of the three I also preferred Two Towers - and likewise the attack on Helm's Dee/Isengard sequence - I loved how the Extended Edition retained the original end when the orcs met up with the ents.

I know I have stated this before, but I thought it was sacriliedge how Jackson filmed the death of the Witch-King sequence, in the book there are some classic lines by both Eowyn and the Witch King all dropped to beef up the action of the moment.
Old 11-15-05, 01:40 PM

I use to think they would stand the test of time, but now I don't.

1: To long. Most people like quick hits.

2: Since the DVD's have come and gone, I have yet to rewatch them. Infact, I still have ROTK:EE in wrap, because I have yet to find the three hours to watch it!
Old 11-15-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I really enjoyed the first two (particularly FotR), but I thought RotK was horribly over-rated.

Personally, I would like to re-edit the third movie.
Old 11-15-05, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I use to think they would stand the test of time, but now I don't.

1: To long. Most people like quick hits.
Yeah, it's too bad films like Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, The Sound of Music, Cleopatra, Once Upon a Time in America, Ben-Hur, The Seven Samurai, Doctor Zhivago, and The Godfather couldn't stand the test of time because they were too long.
Old 11-15-05, 02:51 PM

To me, FotR is amazing, 10/10. I loved the whole adventure. TTT is great, not as much excitement for me as the first one, still 8.5-9/10. With RotK Jackson tried to get too emotional, I remember reading about people here crying during the ending... 7/10.

I liked the Lord of the Rings as an epic, fun, light-hearted adventure with slightly dark tones. It's the emotional areas that lose me.
Old 11-15-05, 03:02 PM
Retired

Yes, my three favorite movies of all time.
Old 11-15-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They've definitely held up for me. Since all 3 EEs have been released I've done 3 marathon viewings and thoroughly enjoyed each one. I don't agree with all the changes Peter Jackson made but overall I thought he did a very faithful job of bringing the books to life visually.
Old 11-15-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by RogueScribner
Yeah, it's too bad films like Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, The Sound of Music, Cleopatra, Once Upon a Time in America, Ben-Hur, The Seven Samurai, Doctor Zhivago, and The Godfather couldn't stand the test of time because they were too long.
Yeah, i'm sure I could add more, but i've already typed so much that my ADD has kicke
Old 11-15-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Ferret
With RotK Jackson tried to get too emotional, I remember reading about people here crying during the ending... 7/10.
Oh god, people all around me in the theater were sniffling. I was trying so hard not to snicker audibly. The part that really got to me was when they were all standing around Frodo's bed - he was like Dorothy at the end of the Wizard of Oz. I leaned over to my friend and whispered, "And you were there, and you were there, and you were there, too." The last 45 minutes or whatever it was I just found tedious.

I like the EE's much more than the theatrical cuts. I think PJ did an excellent job with these movies, and the DVD's are phenomenal. The films are not favorites of mine, but when I'm in the right mood they are pretty enjoyable. Theatrically I liked, in order, TT, FOTR, and a few steps down ROTK. These days, with the EE's, I seem to like FOTR best, but not by much over TT.

Last edited by kitkat; 11-15-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 04:11 PM
En vacance

I liked Fellowship of the Ring, but the next two just became a bit overkill with the sweeping camera over massive video game battles and endless shots of sword fighting, which in my opinion is done better in Gladiator. Guess it has to do with the first one being just a few people against the whole evil before the rest of the armies came to help and is more character motivated rather than plot. Kind of why most people pick Empire Strikes back as their favorite SW movie.
Old 11-15-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Does LOTR Rock?
I don't know, but I have heard that Heat rocks your mother!
Old 11-15-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, something about LOTR just didn't quite click with me. I was kind of excited to see the first one and then after that I didn't really go out of my way to see them and I've never seen The Two Towers or Return of the King.
Old 11-15-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FRwL
I liked Fellowship of the Ring, but the next two just became a bit overkill with the sweeping camera over massive video game battles and endless shots of sword fighting, which in my opinion is done better in Gladiator.
Well that's understandable, after all Gladiator is the most realistic Roman movie/show to date. Since LotR was depicting a fictional world with fictional creatures it wouldn't be as believable or good. That being said, I did greatly enjoy Helm's Deep and the final battle outside Minas Tirith, although the dead army wasn't pulled off quite as effectively as I would have liked (although I can't personally think of any way to do it better, but that's not my job as a mere viewer ).
Old 11-15-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus, the DVDs have come and gone and I have yet to rewatch them. Flop!
Old 11-15-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

WOW! So you're comparing LOTR to those films?
Old 11-15-05, 05:20 PM

Yeah, but those are good movies.
Old 11-15-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cleopatra .

This rest of the list is top notch.

Edit to add: LOTR belongs on this list too.
Old 11-15-05, 06:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Love the films. Hate the literalists that couldn't accept even the slightest alterations ("But Legolas's boots were supposed to be greeeeeeen."). Of course it's that way with any adaptation of any book someone could be bothered to read.
Old 11-15-05, 08:08 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Terrell
WOW! So you're comparing LOTR to those films?
I think he was just dismissing the stupid criticism that the movies are too long to be great, by listing other great long movies.

Though I personally enjoy the LOTR movies more than all those listed.

I wouldn't say they're "better" films as I'm not a critic and don't get into that elitist shit. The only way I rank movies is by how much I enjoyed them, and LOTR tops the list for me, just ahead of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.