Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's kind of odd, it's a fairly high profile role, you'd think she'd have wanted it.
Old 06-18-15, 12:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters - Female reboot (D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon)

She probably passed because it would be slumming to work with the "talent" they've assembled for this catastrophe. Her claim that this will be a big franchise is a compliment to say the least.
Old 06-18-15, 12:56 PM

Received 4,676 Likes on 3,166 Posts

Don’t say we told you this because nobody’s supposed to know. But we’ve got some of the details of the super-secret script for the “Ghostbusters” reboot that starts filming in Boston this week.

As you know, the all-gal ghostbusters in the new flick are played by Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones and according to our script spies, Wiig and McCarthy play a pair of unheralded authors who write a book positing that ghosts are real. Flash forward a few years and Wiig lands a prestigious teaching position at Columbia U. (Like the original, the story takes place in New York City, even though it’s being shot in Boston.) Which is pretty sweet, until her book resurfaces and she is laughed out of academia.

Wiig reunites with McCarthy and the other two proton pack-packing phantom wranglers, and she gets some sweet revenge when ghosts invade Manhattan and she and her team have to save the world.

Word is, the script has gone through a slew of revisions. And may still be getting tweaked even as director Paul Feig gets ready to shout “Roll ’em.”

We can reliably report that the icky apparition Slimer will return in the reboot. Still up in the air, though, are cameo appearances by original ghostbusters Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray.

“They are negotiating,” said our spy. “But, of course, no one can get ahold of Murray.” (Dr. Peter Venkman does not have a lawyer or agent, just a 1-800 number that may, or may not, get a message to him.)

We also hear that filmmakers plan to shut down a section of the financial district for three nights while filming an epic ghost invasion of Manhattan. Still no word on whether the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will make a reappearance. But do stay tuned. ...
http://www.bostonherald.com/inside_t...ston_this_week
Old 06-18-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Still up in the air, though, are cameo appearances by original ghostbusters Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray.
Old 06-18-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I forgot Laurence Fishburne was a Ghostbuster.
Old 06-18-15, 06:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Idris Elba be maaaaaaad.
Old 06-18-15, 06:50 PM

Old 06-18-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The film takes place in New York but they are filming in Boston? I have been to both cities and they just don't seem to be that similar to me.
Old 06-18-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Is it confirmed taking place in New York?
Old 06-18-15, 07:13 PM

Yes. Read the article I posted above.
Old 06-18-15, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The film takes place in New York but they are filming in Boston? I have been to both cities and they just don't seem to be that similar to me.
I've been to neither city, but I'm pretty sure they're very different.
Old 06-18-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Wait, a movie is being shot in one city but it's set in a different city??

**flips table**

Fuck this noise, I'm out.
Old 06-19-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are probably any number of films set in all kinds of places but shot in L.A. It's not like it's new.
Old 06-19-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, many movies are actually shot in Toronto and made out to be New York, etc. Shooting a film in Boston and pretending it is New York is a bit weird. I know they did a few shots for Cloverfield in New York and filmed the rest in and around Los Angeles.
Old 06-19-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Without some of the historical spots of Boston, most downtown areas all look the same to me In the context of a movie, usually it seems like only people who live in those cities that point out differences and notice it's not the actual city they say it is. Most people don't notice or care.
Old 06-19-15, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

The original Ghostbusters movies are very New Yorkesque, the city was practically a character. While it may not be patently obvious to some, I expect the tone will be off. Just another example of the production copying the name, but not the spirit, of the original films.
Old 06-19-15, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The original Ghostbusters movies are very New Yorkesque, the city was practically a character.
And literally a character in Ghostbusters II.
Old 06-19-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,067 Posts

The original Ghostbusters movies are very New Yorkesque, the city was practically a character. While it may not be patently obvious to some, I expect the tone will be off. Just another example of the production copying the name, but not the spirit, of the original films.
Or maybe the movie just isn't trying to copy the original by focusing so much on the city. I mean, no one wants a remake of the first movie, so shouldn't it try to be as different as possible?
Old 06-19-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Or maybe the movie just isn't trying to copy the original by focusing so much on the city. I mean, no one wants a remake of the first movie, so shouldn't it try to be as different as possible?
No.
Old 06-20-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Isn't this basically what you've been telling people to accept with regards to comic book movies like Fantastic Four?
Old 06-20-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Isn't this basically what you've been telling people to accept with regards to comic book movies like Fantastic Four?
I am a movie fan, so I prefer sequels of my favorite movies to be similar to the original in tone and quality. I don't think comic books are a great art-form. I don't care how faithful Fantastic Four is if it turns out to be a good movie. It may not be faithful, but the trailers make it seem like a decent movie to me, I think a lot of comic fans have all ready made up their minds about it.

As for Ghostbusters, I'm not terribly familiar with the talent involved, I've only seen Bridesmaids and I didn't love it. Without the original cast, it's obviously going to be significantly different, but I will try to keep an open mind when I watch the trailer.

I like how you're always trying to catch me in some type of contradiction, but as a human being, I shouldn't be expected to be consistent 100% of the time. I have my own biases, like everybody else, but at least I can admit to them instead of just making a joke about how the movie will suck because the star looks like KD Lang.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 06-20-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I am a movie fan, so I prefer sequels of my favorite movies to be similar to the original in tone and quality. I don't think comic books are a great art-form. I don't care how faithful Fantastic Four is if it turns out to be a good movie. It may not be faithful, but the trailers make it seem like a decent movie to me, I think a lot of comic fans have all ready made up their minds about it.

As for Ghostbusters, I'm not terribly familiar with the talent involved, I've only seen Bridesmaids and I didn't love it. Without the original cast, it's obviously going to be significantly different, but I will try to keep an open mind when I watch the trailer.

I like how you're always trying to catch me in some type of contradiction, but as a human being, I shouldn't be expected to be consistent 100% of the time. I have my own biases, like everybody else, but at least I can admit to them instead of just making a joke about how the movie will suck because the star looks like KD Lang.
I'm not purposely trying to catch you, I just have nothing better to do this weekend and happened to notice how incredibly ironic your comment given the way you constantly criticize the attitude of others in the comic book threads for the exact same thing regarding tone and spirit of the property. I probably wouldn't care about the hypocrisy so much if you didn't keep at it as much as you do

And let's be fair, people have most certainly admitted to preferring a particular vision of Fantastic Four, Superman or Batman. We're human and get to share an opinion too.
Old 06-20-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not purposely trying to catch you, I just have nothing better to do this weekend and happened to notice how incredibly ironic your comment given the way you constantly criticize the attitude of others in the comic book threads for the exact same thing regarding tone and spirit of the property. I probably wouldn't care about the hypocrisy so much if you didn't keep at it as much as you do

And let's be fair, people have most certainly admitted to preferring a particular vision of Fantastic Four, Superman or Batman. We're human and get to share an opinion too.
Well it's not exactly the same thing. One is a sequel to a beloved movie franchise, the other is an adaptation of a comic book into a completely different medium. A comic that has spanned decades, been worked on by many writers, and has multiple interpretations to choose from, there's a lot more flexibility there, I think, as opposed to Ghostbusters which only has 2 movies and had the same crew and cast. I'm critical of the hyperbole and unfair prejudgments about Fantastic Four. I've never said anything bad about people disliking Man of Steel because I felt like they may have had valid complaints. If Fantastic Four comes out and people lay out their issues with writing, acting, whatever, I will have absolutely no problem with that. When they swear up and down how the movie will suck because the actors are younger and blacker than they are supposed to be, I will say that's silly. What's interesting is that some posters have said the Ultimates version of FF are actually younger? Sorry if it seems like I go on about it constantly, but I like to provide a voice of optimism among a sea of negativity, that thread is brutal with it.
Old 06-20-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 744 Likes on 545 Posts

i'm optimistic it will suck.
Old 06-20-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
i'm optimistic it will suck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.