Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Squid and the Whale - Directed by Noah Baumbach

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Squid and the Whale - Directed by Noah Baumbach

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good or not, it would be cool to see it as a criterion release.
Old 07-23-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dpz301
good or not, it would be cool to see it as a criterion release.
Considering Wes Anderson's role in making this movie, I don't see why it couldn't happen.
Old 10-19-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked this. The characters were interesting to watch and there was a lot of offbeat humour in their dialogue and behaviour as they fumbled their way through situations. Some actions felt forced, however; included for the reaction they would gain from the viewer rather than being integral to the narrative. As a result, I wasn't entirely satisfied and there was a feeling of irresolution to proceedings, though this didn't detract too much from what was, ultimately, very enjoyable viewing. 6/10
Old 01-16-09, 06:06 AM
Banned

re: The Squid and the Whale - Directed by Noah Baumbach

Watched this last night because I bought it blind at Big Lots for $3 and I thought it was a good movie but i felt the ending was very abrupt. The character change in this movie by Walt is what really made it special. Paquin is kind of playing the same character here that she played in the 25th Hour. I really liked the music in the movie. Blossom Dearie's song "Figure 8" always has a very eerie and creepy feeling to it. Very interesting and enjoyable movie.
Old 06-09-13, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Kind of too bad Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach hadn't met before this film in 2005. I'm sure he could've found a role for her.

Although the characters aren't very likable, I found them incredibly interesting.

At just 76 minutes, I would've liked this film to be longer.
Old 06-11-13, 09:03 AM

It's been a little while since I've seen this, but count me as another who loved it.

All four of the family members are pretty much horrible people, and that will turn off a lot of people from liking the movie. But for me they all felt like real people and I wanted to see their development. And this is a good thing when dealing with the dark comedy bits.

Yes, it's a whole new level of creepy if you've seen Fly Away Home, a heartwarming family-friendly story of Jeff Daniels and his young daughter Anna Paquin in an early role (actually a pretty good movie too). Seeing them 10 years later with Daniels requesting Paquin to put him in her mouth is a little skeevy even if you hadn't seen the other movie first. Honostly in a twisted sort of way, I think this makes TS&tW better and adds to the dark humour.