Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Squid and the Whale - Directed by Noah Baumbach

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Squid and the Whale - Directed by Noah Baumbach

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauce07
I thought this movie was amazing
So only a few people knew "Hey You" in 1986?
Only Philistines listened to Pink Floyd.
Old 03-30-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only Philistines listened to Pink Floyd.

"That's right my brother"
Old 03-30-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was really good. The script was superb and all of the actors did a nice job.

I was shocked that they had Kevin Kline's little boy doing some of that crazy stuff.
Old 04-10-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the Tangerine Dream music in the background, every time Pickle was alone to explore himself. Was that supposed to be a nod to Risky Business ?

The movie takes place in 1986, when they were driving around, I noticed a new 4 Runner and an ML Mercedes in plain sight. No biggie, but I thought it was funny.
Old 04-10-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I thought it was really good. The script was superb and all of the actors did a nice job.

I was shocked that they had Kevin Kline's little boy doing some of that crazy stuff.
Completely agree. The script WAS superb. Very funny and moving film.
Old 04-11-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
The movie takes place in 1986, when they were driving around, I noticed a new 4 Runner and an ML Mercedes in plain sight. No biggie, but I thought it was funny.
They mentioned that in one of the extras. They couldn't afford to dress the streets so they just went with it.
Old 04-11-06, 10:50 AM

i thought the characters were really annoying. are people really like this or is this just a New York thing?
I really wanted to jump into the movie and slap around a few of the characters to straighten them out. I guess i don't like being frustrated when watching characters self destruct
Old 04-11-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by enrage
i thought the characters were really annoying. are people really like this or is this just a New York thing?
I really wanted to jump into the movie and slap around a few of the characters to straighten them out. I guess i don't like being frustrated when watching characters self destruct
Yeah, us New Yorkers are a zany bunch

It was an enjoyable movie. I noticed the Mercedes too, did a little double take.
Old 04-11-06, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by enrage
I've known many people like this in Florida.
Old 04-11-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
This was a fine movie and everything, but the characters were all people that I just don't want to spend any time with, be it in real life or in a movie.
Old 04-11-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought this was a great movie as well. But seeing the little kid do the stuff that he does was sick and shocking.
Old 04-11-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only lasted about 20mins with this movie, right up to the scene with the boy in the library. I just couldn't take it anymore. I guess this would be a good prud test and I guess that makes me one but boy I know we're all into this latest kick of dark, depressing and showing how realisticly life sucks but this one really took it to a whole new level!
I guess I can still respect the film and just say it was not for me though I really didnt see anything special in the acting and it almost seemed like the camera guy was right on top of them too.
Hardest part for me was thinking of kid actors or kids somehow seeing parts of that behavior before they have developed enough pyschologically.
Old 04-11-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The kids in the script are actually pretty bright in real life. I'm sure they knew what they were in for.

= J
Old 04-12-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Or maybe only college kids, and wasn't floyd about dead by 86?
Floyd lives on forever! Seriously though, Floyd is a mainstay for many people throughout the years.

I really liked this movie. Pretty low key, with the story being the driving force rather than action or music. Very well done all around.
Old 04-17-06, 10:30 AM

the one thing that I really liked about this movie was when they started playing "Figure 8"...that old SchoolHouse Rock song. that song really seemed to fit the scene
Old 04-17-06, 12:08 PM
Banned

Wow. So many horrible emotions and vitriolic back biting and evil, evil humor. This was a much better film than I expected...my brutha.
Old 04-19-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
Hardest part for me was thinking of kid actors or kids somehow seeing parts of that behavior before they have developed enough pyschologically.
When i watched the movie "mysterious skin" a few weeks ago, i was thinking the same thing. Another great low key movie (not for all tastes though)

And long live Floyd! (i happen to be listening to "Pigs: Three Different Ones" from the Animals album)
Old 06-11-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madara
I only lasted about 20mins with this movie, right up to the scene with the boy in the library. I just couldn't take it anymore. I guess this would be a good prud test and I guess that makes me one but boy I know we're all into this latest kick of dark, depressing and showing how realisticly life sucks but this one really took it to a whole new level!
I guess I can still respect the film and just say it was not for me though I really didnt see anything special in the acting and it almost seemed like the camera guy was right on top of them too.
I'm with ya madara. This movie was disturbing and depressing. I would not recommend it to anyone. Daniels acting was great, you really hate him but other than that it was just one disturbing scene after another. Fucked up parents and fucked up kids. I guess I just can't get into artsy independent films or something.
Old 07-18-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it. saw that the credits had wes anderson as a producer, does anyone think that criterion might pick this up like they did with several of his other movies and re-release another version?
Old 07-19-06, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by dpz301
watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it. saw that the credits had wes anderson as a producer, does anyone think that criterion might pick this up like they did with several of his other movies and re-release another version?
It wouldn't surprise me. Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach have been close friends for a while, and Baumbach was a co-writer on "The Life Aquatic" as well as the upcoming "Fantastic Mr. Fox." Not only that, but Baumbach's debut film "Kicking and Screaming" has recently been added to the Criterion Collection. What I'm getting at is...it looks like Wes Anderson has already played matchmaker between Criterion and Baumbach. So, if Sony/Columbia TriStar is willing to liscense this film out to Criterion, I see no reason why they wouldn't add it to the collection.

-JP
Old 07-19-06, 11:14 PM

A Criterion Collection DVD seems a little unlikely simply because, and I can't remember the source, Baumbach doesn't like to do feature commentaries. While I guess there could be more interesting extras for the film, it just doesn't seem to lend itself to any more elaborate a special edition.
Old 07-19-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched this last night and thought it was pretty great. I must admit I didn't realize it was supposed to be 1986 until I watched the special features. I liked it though, I could relate to how the two brothers picked sides with the parents. And also how the father and older brother would be quick to criticize works of art that other people thought were great (Donnie Darko sucks everybody) I especially loved all the name dropping of the short stories (The Hunger Artist, The Metamorphosis) because I just read them in creative writing class last semester. I would love to have a friend like the older brother in the film. All my friends are philistines! If I ever compared a girl to "a young Monica Vitti" no one would know what the hell I was talking about. *sigh
Old 07-20-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, I'd welcome a Criterion edition of this film - and am really looking forward to Criterion's release of Baumbach's "Kicking and Screaming" - but the current edition is quite good, and Baumbach's "commentary" is excellent.
Old 07-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds like there is a good chance to see a criterion edition from what people are saying. good deal.
Old 07-22-06, 11:01 AM

Not sure I'd call it a "good" chance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.