Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Snakes on a Plane.........

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Snakes on a Plane.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so everyone knows, these were exclusive clips made for that site. They are not representative of the kick-ass CGI snakes that will be in the final version. God bless SOAP.
Old 03-19-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I screamed. Truly amazing.
Old 03-20-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a lover of B-movies and wacky shit, this ranks pretty freaking high. Good God what abombination!! I'll see it, even though, why ain't this on scifi channel?
Old 03-20-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Was this already linked to in this thread?

http://oldtimessnakesonaplane.ytmnd.com/
Old 03-20-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Old 03-20-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YES!! This looks like the worst movie ever i can't wait!
Old 03-20-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the greatest part of that trailer for me was the guy sitting in his seat holding a snake and screaming at it and then looking at the camera and screaming. Classic. If someone could gif that part too i would be eternally grateful.
Old 03-20-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm on board.
Old 03-20-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is my favorite part of the trailer also:

Old 03-22-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The logo from the film which was posted on joblo.com but it wont let me link it. Here's the URL: http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=10745

Source: Entertainment Weekly by: Mike Sampson

The editors at Entertainment Weekly couldn't have been more right when they said, "Not since Betsy Ross unveiled the American flag has a design been so hotly anticipated." So very, very true. With that introduction, EW unveiled the official logo for SNAKES ON A PLANE. Director David R. Ellis tells the magazine that the logo was inspired by various fan versions that were popping up online as production was underway. New Line marketing exec Russell Schwartz says, "We have so many taglines that go from sublime to ridiculous. You could obviously put [on the poster]: 'If the food doesn't kill you, they will.'" Oh, the possibilities are endless. If New Line were willing, I would love to premiere here the complete list of possible taglines to give you, the fans, a chance to vote on your fave. Personally I've fallen head over heels for Sam Jackson's now-famous decree from the beginning of the online clip: "Enough is enough. I've had it with these snakes." That says it all so sublimely even Shakespeare is creaming his jeans with jealousy.

Last edited by riley_dude; 03-22-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-22-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't that the MOST BEAUTIFUL POSTER you've ever seen?
Old 03-22-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
"Enough is enough. I've had it with these snakes."
That line makes me laugh every time.

What a great looking logo too!
Old 03-22-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 196 Posts
From the moment Sam Jackson said his line I was hooked. Gotta get me that poster!
Old 03-22-06, 07:37 PM

I got to see this movie.It's worse than waiting for Superman movie
Old 03-22-06, 07:58 PM

This movie should be the next great franchise. Just think of the sequel possibilities:
Wasps on a Yacht
Spiders on a Rocket
Crocodiles on a Truck
Old 03-22-06, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Just think of the sequel possibilities
Just keep the same premise but call it Snakes on a Train. Maybe Steven Seagal could co-star.
Old 03-22-06, 10:52 PM
Banned

what's the big deal with the name? why is it so special and do people think it's so hilarious? is it just because of the absurdity, or maybe because it kind of rhymes, or what is it? i'm still a bit confused about all the hoopla over the title. to me it just sounds a bit goofy, but not enough to warrant a "OMG, now THAT i have to see!".
Old 03-22-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,097 Likes on 869 Posts
Whats not to love? There's Snakes on a motherfuckin' Plane. What could you do? You can't just land the plane, there's hundreds of them, and if they get into the cockpit! OH NOZ!

It's absurdist humour at it's absolute finest, I tell you!

And yeah, it's just ... what a fucking ridiculous concept for a movie, and the title is proud of it, the star is proud of it, Ellis is probably proud of it. It's going to be a bad movie for bad movies sakes, and really - with studios churning out crap and selling it as something more, it's about time one took the initiative and just embraced it's over-the-top-ness. Plus, it's just a great title . How many movies do you know that successfully sum up the entire movie in its title?

Think of it as Good Burger Redux, but you know, with Snakes.. on a plane.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-22-06 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm proud to say that I'm looking forward to this flick than anything else of 2006.
Old 03-23-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 247 Posts
Snakes In An Acura!

The story may be bogus, but the photos are kinda cool....
Sorry I was late for work boss, but ...

A guy in St. Louis was driving to work on Hwy 144 when he heard a 'pop'! He thought it sounded like a flat tire, though his ride wasn't affected. After pulling over, checking the tires and finding them intact! He opened the hood to look at the motor. Before the hood was even all the way open he jumped back in shock and knocked his head on the partially opened hood, unable to believe what his eyes were seeing! Nobody was going to believe this! You sure wouldn't have either! Fortunately, a coworker with a camera recognized him along side the road and stopped to see if he could help. Now, this has to be right up there at the top of the list of unusual but verified 'Reasons I was late for work'!

Edited to fix photo links

Last edited by kenbuzz; 03-23-06 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 196 Posts
The story sounds bogus, but those are shocking images.

I wonder if there's somewhere I can get a hat with the film's logo, it's cool!
Old 03-23-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As per The Hollywood Reporter and AICN, it seems that they have done 5 days of reshoots on SoaP to make it R rated instead of PG-13... More Gore, More Nudity and they've added the infamous line "I WANT THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES OFF MY MOTHERFUCKING PLANE!" August 18, you can't come fast enough.

MATT
Old 03-23-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is just about the greatest news that I've ever heard regarding anything in the history of human existence.
Old 03-23-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From The Hollywood Reporter.com

March 23, 2006

Fan frenzy for 'Snakes' is on a different plane

By Borys Kit
As film backstories go, this one is fairly serpentine. This month, New Line Cinema's "Snakes on a Plane," which wrapped principal photography in September in Vancouver, went back before the cameras for five days of additional shooting at the Lot in Los Angeles.

In this case, it wasn't the usual reshoot, hastily assembled to fix a nagging story problem. Instead, the studio decided to create new scenes that would take the movie from PG-13 into R-rated territory.

The second round of filming also came about because of intense and growing fan interest in the movie, which was directed by David R. Ellis and is not scheduled to be released until Aug. 18.

"Snakes" stars Samuel L. Jackson as an FBI agent who has to fight a planeload of snakes unleashed by an assassin bent on killing a witness in protective custody. Sight unseen, the movie has grown from something of a joke into a phenomenon slithering untamed throughout the Internet.

As a movie whose fan base has grown spontaneously and organically, "Snakes" is relatively rare.

Intense fan reaction to movies most often is associated with titles that have established themselves in other media, such as comic book movies or fantasy novels, before making their way to the screen. Or it becomes attached to surprise hits, like the original "Star Wars," that develop massive cult followings once they are released.

But original movies that develop a big prerelease following are uncommon. Artisan Entertainment pulled off that trick in 1999 with its viral Internet campaign for "The Blair Witch Project," but that success has not been easily duplicated.

"Snakes," based an original script by John Heffernan (with rewrites by David Louca, Sheldon Turner, Sebastian Gutierrez and Chris Morgan) barely has an official Web site at the moment. But the movie, produced by Craig Berenson, Don Granger and Gary Levinsohn, already is the talk of a certain segment of the Net without any real prodding on the part of New Line.

It all started with the provocative and buzzworthy, if also reductive, title. New Line picked up the script in turnaround from Paramount Pictures in March 2003 -- in the wake of Sept. 11, terror-on-a-plane movies had fallen out of favor. And even within New Line, there were skeptics who viewed "Snakes on a Plane" as nothing but a simple programr with a "stupid title."

After Jackson came on board as the star, the title was upgraded to the more generic "Pacific Air Flight 121." The studio said it was a temporary moniker being used for "casting purposes." Executives were searching for something that was more thriller-like and less campy. According to sources, Jackson's camp also was in favor of a title change.

"Who wants to be in a movie called 'Snakes on a Plane'?" asked one talent agent at the time, seeming to echo the studio's concerns.

But once production began, a funny thing happened. Movie fans began noticing the black sheep of the New Line slate. They seized upon the title and started spontaneously creating fan sites, blogs, T-shirts, poems, fiction and songs. The title itself, sometimes abbreviated as "SoaP," has emerged as Internet-speak for fatalistic sentiments that range from c'est la vie to "shit happens."

"The title is so clear and so straightforward," said Brian Finkelstein, a Washington, D.C., native who created the blog Snakesonablog.com and who hopes to score tickets to the movie's premiere. "You know exactly what you're going to get."

Like Harry Potter, whose first suggestion that he's got magic on his hands comes when he discovers he can talk to snakes in their language , New Line got the message. Deciding that so many anonymous fans couldn't be wrong, the studio decided to revert to the movie's original title.

Jackson publicly endorsed the move. "That's the only reason I took the job: I read the title," Jackson told entertainment site Collider.com. He added, "You either want to see that, or you don't."

New Line execs, concerned that it is too early to discuss the movie, declined comment. But sources now insist the studio never abandoned the "Snakes" title in the first place and that "Pacific Air" was just an internal working title.

In any event, "Snakes"-ophiles already were hard at work. Chris Rohan of Bethesda, Md., created an elaborate, R-rated audio trailer that lovingly mocks the title and movie. "It's a genius title," Rohan said. "It's so stupid it's great. It invites satire, but it's something you just love. It's something I can't explain. You either get it or you don't."

The audio bit uses a Jackson sound-alike shouting, "I want these motherfucking snakes off the motherfucking plane!" Soon, the growing legion of fans added their voices as they demanded that that phrase also appear in the movie.

Apparently, the studio got the hint. When Ellis assembled Jackson and others for the recent shoot, the filmmakers added more gore, more death, more nudity, more snakes and more death scenes. And they shot a scene where Jackson does utter the line that fans have demanded.

Those involved with the film said the reshoots weren't prompted by fans but rather by the existing footage that already was a hairline into R territory. Within the studio, the thinking was, "We're already going to get an R, why not go all the way?" But the filmmakers do concede that the Jackson line will be in the movie for the sake of the fans.

Meanwhile, the phenomenon keeps growing.

David Coin, a Maryland-based friend of Rohan, pitched in by creating a "Snakes" song and is working on a second.

New Line, in turn, is reaching out to the fans. In response to populist "Snakes" songs already created, the studio has just teamed up with social-networking site TagWorld.com to launch a contest that will allow one lucky winner's song to be featured in the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.