Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Snakes on a Plane.........

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Snakes on a Plane.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,097 Likes on 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Ah, the old "everybody in MY theater had the same opinion as me" argument. I'm sure somebody will counter with "everybody in MY theater thought it sucked."
Brian already did.

Mark me, and the 30 other people (out of 500 seats) who sat there dumbfounded, as thumbs down.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-18-06 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81% on rotten tomatos
Old 08-18-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact of the matter is, unless you see it this weekend...or if the film develops a dedicated "Rocky Horror" type following, people aren't going to be hooting and hollering in the theater. Certainly not on DVD, either.
I'd like to see a "live theater with fans" audio track on the DVD. Not as a main feature or anything, maybe an easter egg or something.
Old 08-18-06, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Try logging off the internet, the buzz is only on little message boards and "blogs."
exactly. i don't even think Sam has been around to the talk shows recently. he did some press back before the movie was being released, but i think he knows it came out like garbage that i htink he crawled back into his lair. there really isn't much about SOAP aside from commercials and i don't think those are that mainstream and certainly won't be after this weekend.
Old 08-18-06, 11:14 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will have to agree with one of the points made in a negative review I read:

From http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...=1&rid=1532469

Spoiler:
Not once does the kickboxer take on a giant serpent, circling the cabin in a fight stance as onlookers gather round and cheer.
Spoiler:
I admit I was hoping for this scene as soon as that guy talked about how he was a champion kickboxer, ESPECIALLY after the anaconda was introduced.
Old 08-18-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm planning to see this next week and let the crowds filter out. If I'm watching a movie and there are people talking to a screen that won't talk back, that will 100% of the time lessen my experience.
Around my town, seeing a flick during early Saturday during the day even for a newer release is like this. Looking forward to enjoying the campiness.
Old 08-18-06, 11:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
DRG,

Agreed 100%. That guy was totally not utilized.
Old 08-18-06, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I'm not even talking about the internet. Of course it's being promoted on here by the fans.

Once again, I don't know where you've been either. I've seen this movie promoted in endless commercials, every single news channel (FOX, CNN, and so on) have been talking about it and I've seen entire articles talking about the film in just about every newspaper that I've had my hands on. Heck, every aspect of media have been talking about it. Then we have all of the talk shows, daytime and late night (some of the real snakes from the movie were on Leno a while back). I've seen billboards and flyers. I've seen different things in different retail stores promoting the release of the film, the most recent of which was the Circuit City SOAP DVD.

I've overheard people just in my day to day life while out and about in town talking about the movie, just randomly. I've had people in my family, who know nothing about movies and don't keep up with things like this, come up to me asking what in the world is up with "that new movie about snakes on a plane".

And all of this has been going on for weeks now.

I live out in the country in SC, so I know that if it's like this in this area, then it's like this in most places, especially big cities. I have friends in LA, NY, and all around the country who report things just like this. The buzz is most certainly going beyond "little message boards and blogs".
no matter what you've heard or think you've heard
Old 08-18-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
exactly. i don't even think Sam has been around to the talk shows recently.
Sam Jackson was on The Daily Show on Wed and mentioned that he'd been doing the talk show circuit for this film. He seemed genuinely excited for the film, although he admitted he hadn't seen the finished product yet.
Old 08-18-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
exactly. i don't even think Sam has been around to the talk shows recently. he did some press back before the movie was being released, but i think he knows it came out like garbage that i htink he crawled back into his lair. there really isn't much about SOAP aside from commercials and i don't think those are that mainstream and certainly won't be after this weekend.
What are you talking about? He was on Good Morning America, The Daily Show, The Today Show, MTV, David Letterman, and probably a half dozen others in the past two weeks I'm not aware of. Shows that he hasn't been on have been talking about it all week as well (Jimmy Kimmel Live, Access Hollywood, Entertainment Weekly, The Insider, etc.)
Old 08-18-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I can't wait to see this! I'm going with a bunch of people to the midnight showing tonight. I'm not expecting a movie. I'm expecting an experience!
Old 08-18-06, 11:54 AM

Ah, the old "everybody in MY theater had the same opinion as me" argument. I'm sure somebody will counter with "everybody in MY theater thought it sucked."
Correction: Not everybody in my theater had the same opinion. Almost everybody had the same opinion. At one point, I heard a faint "these blasted kids today. Why, I never!" from the back of the theater. It could have come from that curmudgeon Old Man Withers, or from a disgruntled theater employee. Couldn't really tell. But somebody didn't have fun.
Old 08-18-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm planning to see this next week and let the crowds filter out. If I'm watching a movie and there are people talking to a screen that won't talk back, that will 100% of the time lessen my experience.
BAD fucking idea dude. This movie lives and dies by crowds and their reactions to it. I hate people talking during the movie as most everyone on this board, but such beavior actually enhanced the viewing experience for SoaP.

The crazy over-the-top crowd really made this movie work. Really. I already said this, but if the theater was even half-full, it wouldn't have worked. Everyone was screaming, yelling, talking to and throughout the movie, and no one cared, because it actually enhanced the viewing experience. This is not at all a movie to watch at home on dvd, but in a very crowded and riotous setting.
Old 08-18-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

but if the theater was even half-full, it wouldn't have worked.
Our theater was half-full and it worked swimmingly.
Old 08-18-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What I meant was that..
Originally Posted by slop101
if the theater was even half-full, it wouldn't have worked as well as it did.
Old 08-18-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060818/...s_on_a_plane_2

Associated Press review is up, know it's meaningless but eh.
Old 08-18-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Our theater was half-full and it worked swimmingly.
My theater was a fifth full and it worked out well.

Then again, we were all loud, obnoxious fucks.
Old 08-18-06, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I will have to agree with one of the points made in a negative review I read:

From http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...=1&rid=1532469

Spoiler:
I admit I was hoping for this scene as soon as that guy talked about how he was a champion kickboxer, ESPECIALLY after the anaconda was introduced.
I agree that went nowhere

Spoiler:
I was also expecting a more gorier death from the first class geezer jerk - that boa should have squeezed him so hard that his eyeballs shot out of his head accompanied by blood spraying out his mouth and nose

all in all - this was movie was a hoot and a half - much fun, pure escapism, it ain't high art, it's 'snakes on a plane'
Old 08-18-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On the DVD release, they should incorporate a "theater-reaction" track just to give those who waited for it on DVD a taste of what it would have been like to watch it with a full theater load of people.
Old 08-18-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DRG,

Agreed 100%. That guy was totally not utilized.
What the hell are you guys talking about?

He kick-boxed a snake to death when saving that Paris Hilton clone.
Sure, it was just that one time, but the movie's not called "Kick-Boxing Snakes on a Plane"... maybe for the sequel.
Old 08-18-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it, liked it a lot. To me, it delivered exactly what I wanted and what I expected.

Totally agree about the under utilized character. Very odd. Probably ended up on the cutting room floor somewhere. We'll probably see some more of those scenes on the DVD.
Old 08-18-06, 04:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
What the hell are you guys talking about?

Spoiler:
He kick-boxed a snake to death when saving that Paris Hilton clone.
Spoiler:
But he wasn't even on-screen! All you heard was "HI-YA!" and the snake was dead. Very poor payoff on the character.
Old 08-18-06, 04:35 PM

If you judge SoaP by the standards you judge every other movie... its bad. Its not good. But when you watch it with people you understand that, and that the movie is a sort of joke but one that plays itself completely straight, you have a good time with it.

Casablanca and Citizen Kane are fantastic by themselves. SoaP isn't supposed to be. Those of you who believe only internet geeks and 40-year-old virgins are the only people interested in this I think you are misguided. Anyone who understands that this isn't a typical movie experience should be able to have fun with it. I've had a hard time explaining this movie to people who didn't see it today. It isn't good, it isn't bad... its fun.
Old 08-18-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was actually waiting for the kickboxer to
Spoiler:
take out the rapper when he grabbed Sam's gun - speaking of the rapper, I fucking laughed my ass off when they had him go down the chute at the end holding one of the kids - as if he earned some sort of redemption in his sorry-ass character arc.

But the best part of the movie for me was the fat black guy from SNL. I hate him on SNL, but he was halarious in this movie - not so much for his lines, but only because at random times, whether something went wrong, or not, you'd hear him off-screen in the background and he'd yell "Snakes!" - it was almost a subtle little thing, but when I would catch it, it would KILL me.
Old 08-18-06, 05:21 PM
Banned

Anyone in San Francisco going to the 5:30 showing at the Metreon? Say hi if you see me. I'll be wearing a white They Might Be Giants T-shirt and drinking vodka in Yerba Buena park beforehand.

This is a "buzzed" movie to be sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.