Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Descent -- D: Neil Marshall

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Descent -- D: Neil Marshall

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw The Descent at a midnight showing and ... holy freakin' coconuts, this film was outstanding. You're given a good story at the beginning, provided with some ample time to break into the atmosphere, and then starts the rollercoaster ride once the rocks hit the fan and you're taken deeper into the earth. I would have liked just a smidge more character development with a few of the characters (Juno, Sarah, and Holly were all crafted well, but the sisters and Beth seemed a little thin). In general, the characters were great, though.

I have to definitely send major kudos to Marshall and the prod. crew behind this flick for (a) the cinematography, and (b) the creation of the creatures. For being a horror story about being trapped in a cave, this is one beautifully illustrated film. The rock formations, the rushing of the cave water, the initial terrain shots rolling up to the site, and the crawl-space scenes were all superb. I felt like I was in that cavern. And the cave-dwelling baddies were a frantic riot to see in action.

I am still trying to decide which ending I prefer as well. Both have their positives.
Spoiler:
Sarah's escape did give the sensation that you hammered through the flick and shall be justly rewarded in the end with the shocker of Juno next to her in the car (whether she was physically there or just as a figment of Sarah's psyche). However, there is no tie-in with her child in this ending, which doesn't quite feel right. Whereas with the UK cut, we're left to make our own assumptions as to what Sarah's fate was (which I liked) - but I don't like the "dream sequence". But I did like that the last thoughts Sarah had at the end of the film were of her daughter. However, I think I'm leaning towards the US cut.

None the less, this is one of the most breath-taking and thrilling films I've seen - period.

Bring on the seamless-branch DVD with both endings. But from my experience, I can definitely recommend seeing this in the huge open-aired theaters.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 08-05-06 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Just saw this today and really liked it. This is the first I'm hearing about the changed ending. I just watched the youtube clip. I certainly always prefer that a director get's the ending he wants. That being said, the US ending was hardly a feel good, happy ending. If anything it's a bit more shocking.

Spoiler:
The thing that sucks about the UK ending is that if the last part of the movie is all a dream, you really don't know what happens to half of the characters right? Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of dream sequences.
Erm..

Spoiler:
You know exactly what happens to all the characters except Sarah, since it shows them all dying pretty graphically, save for Juno. The dream doesn't start until she knocks herself out AFTER she attacks Juno. So the dream encompasses all of 3 minutes (her climbing up the bones, getting out, and driving off.). Everything up until she falls and hits her head at the very end "really happend". (I'm assuming you're assuming the dream started when she fell and hit her head on the rock earlier on.. but naw, different knock outs)

Last edited by RichC2; 08-05-06 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Erm..

Spoiler:
You know exactly what happens to all the characters except Sarah, since it shows them all dying pretty graphically, save for Juno. The dream doesn't start until she knocks herself out AFTER she attacks Juno. So the dream encompasses all of 3 minutes (her climbing up the bones, getting out, and driving off.). Everything up until she falls and hits her head at the very end "really happend". (I'm assuming you're assuming the dream started when she fell and hit her head on the rock earlier on.. but naw, different knock outs)
Hmm, I don't remember the 2nd knockout, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 08-05-06, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate those whole "Everything's alright but it's only a dream" kind of junk in horror movies anyway
Yeah, but... everything was not 'alright'.
Spoiler:
She's stuck in the cave, and not getting out. The creatures will kill her, and none of them will ever be heard from again. And to top it off, she's going insane.
Old 08-05-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched this a few weeks ago. I bought the R2 2 Disc. The movie had, for me at least, 2 moments that made me jump. One of them was within the first 5 minutes. Aside from that, I didn't find it particularly scary at all. Also, the action really doesn't start to get good until about an hour in I would say. There was quite a lot of build up.

Was I entertained? I suppose, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the best horror movie. Again, that is just me. It takes a lot to scare me.

Out of 4 stars, I give it 2 1/2.
Old 08-05-06, 10:51 AM

Just saw this last night.

I LOVED the U.S. ending and didn't at all like the UK ending.

Excellent movie, great story build-up; mostly believable cave scenes (even though none of it was shot in any caves)... a few moments of bad cgi/blue screen, but not a HUGE deal.

The monsters were great. Didn't look cheesy at all.

I'd give it an A-
Old 08-05-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More commentary can be found in DVD Stalk's The Descent Thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and am still in the process of deciding which ending I prefer. I'd definitely give The Descent a grade somewhere in the A- range as well, because the ending (for both releases) needed to be a tad tighter in my eyes. Both are very good conclusions, but it seems like the UK ending and the tone of the US version could be re-edited together to make a more cohesive ending.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 08-05-06 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw it last night and loved it! I had heard so many positive notes about the movie both from the geeks and from the mainstream critics that I was worried I might be in for a serious disappointment, but no, the movie still kicked major ass.

It does take a while to build, but how is that a bad thing? Remember when you were forced to actually care about characters in movies because you got to know them? I liken the movie to combing the first half of Alien, with the second half of Aliens.

Easily the best horror movie in the past several years (IMO). As for the ending, I checked out the UK version after I saw the movie and I like the US version better. Despite what the UK version has to say about the
Spoiler:
fate of Sarah
, it feels like it invalidates everything you've seen. The US ending is a different kind of bleak, which is more satisying.
Old 08-05-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a good time with this film as it's got plenty of adventurous gals and a scary cavern expedition. The cast is good, and the twists and turns make for some good horror footage. I was happy to see Shauna MacDonald (Sarah) because I remembered her from her role on Spooks (MI-5 in the US) as Sam, she turned in a good performance.

If you enjoy the horror genre, this film is right up your alley.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 08-05-06, 06:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I thought it was a well made movie and definately worth my time and money. Unfortunately.....i think more effort could have put into coming out with a better ending.
Old 08-05-06, 07:35 PM

So what happens in the US cut ending exactly? I've seen the UK version.

thx.
Old 08-05-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read the blacked out portions.
Old 08-05-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Saw it and really liked it.

Not sure I was real happy with the very final shot when she sits back down in her seat. Seemed cheap compared to the rest of the movie. No biggie, though. I'll still buy the DVD.
Old 08-05-06, 09:57 PM

The UK ending doesn't "invalidate everything you've seen" but only the preceeding couple of minutes. I was glad to have an "unhappy ending" to a relatively "unhappy" movie....... to me, it made it more realistic, as ironic as that may seem....
Old 08-05-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daddydaryl
The UK ending doesn't "invalidate everything you've seen" but only the preceeding couple of minutes. I was glad to have an "unhappy ending" to a relatively "unhappy" movie....... to me, it made it more realistic, as ironic as that may seem....
I didn't interprete the ending the US version has as "happy". I would argue that the UK version is actually happier.

Spoiler:
In the UK version, she's likely to be killed, but she's made peace with the loss of her daughter and her friends and has accepted her fate. In the US version, she's escapes the cave, but she's insane, likely to be haunted forever not only by here daughter, but also by what she's now done to Juno.

Despite what anyone says, there's no definate answer on this one - you prefer the one you prefer (likely the one you saw first).
Old 08-05-06, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
read the blacked out portions.
I did and none describe "exactly" the US cut ending. I can probably guess it based on the discussion but I was looking for a more precise answer.
Old 08-05-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phod
I did and none describe "exactly" the US cut ending. I can probably guess it based on the discussion but I was looking for a more precise answer.
Spoiler:
As was mentioned, she actually escapes the cave. She finds her way to the vehicles, climbs into the first one and drives out. After driving onto the main road to where she feels is a safe distance, she pulls over and starts to sob. A large semi approaches from behind and blasts it's horn as it flys by. She leans out and vomits. When she sits back down, a bloody Juno is suddenly sitting on the passenger seat. She screams (at least I think she does since the theater audience sure did). Cue the credits

Is that what you were looking for?
Old 08-06-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got back from 'C.h.u.d. in a Cave' and I must say, I was thoroughly disappointed. Here's my intereratation of what I saw. Plays like Chud, sounds like Predator, and looks like Bat-Dracula from KEanu Reeve's Dracula. Bad acting, cheap scares and no boobs made this completely unwatchable. Plus the animated (not cg mind you) bats made me laugh and the blood pool was ridiculous, not to mention the nipple-less female chud. Avoid at all cost!!
Old 08-06-06, 10:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Its the ending....so watch it at your own risks.

Found the UK ending on YouTube....i think its much better than the US one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcKHtY6eE0

US ending here.....(last 10mins though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJgAj8HbVs

Last edited by vhgong; 08-06-06 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-06-06, 11:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Saw a late show of this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. For a horror flick, it fired on all cylinders.
Old 08-06-06, 05:51 PM

So is the only difference between the US and original version is she wakes up and is still in the cave instead of in the truck? Can't get the clip to download.
Old 08-06-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vhgong
Its the ending....so watch it at your own risks.

Found the UK ending on YouTube....i think its much better than the US one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcKHtY6eE0

US ending here.....(last 10mins though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJgAj8HbVs
Those are both the non-us ending. The bottom one starts further back so it's longer (and it's mis-labeled as the US ending)
Old 08-06-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. The trailer ruined the biggest scare moment in the movie for me though so I would really recommend not watching the trailer.

I think I'm becoming desensitized to horror movies though. Although enjoyable, I can't say I was really scared by The Descent.
Old 08-06-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally a horror film that lived up to the hype. Great natural scares and good gore.
The only thing that was it's flaw, was its subplot of one character's dead family-it didn't really add anyting to the film overall.

Grade: B+
Old 08-06-06, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Finally a horror film that lived up to the hype. Great natural scares and good gore.
The only thing that was it's flaw, was its subplot of one character's dead family-it didn't really add anyting to the film overall.

Grade: B+
I disagree with your opinion that the subplot of the dead husband & daughter is useless. It made sense that Sarah turns into psycho woman killing all the monsters. She is a person with nothing left to lose. A person with nothing left to lose IS the most dangerous person. Sarah loses her family, her friends, and lastly her mind.

I see this horror film not only as monsters in a cave, but a study on how a normal woman can turn from loving mother/wife into insane murderer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.