Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay, is War of the Worlds doomed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Has Tom Cruise doomed War of the Worlds
Yep
15.67%
Nope
66.42%
You don't know the history of moviegoer psychology, I do!
17.91%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Okay, is War of the Worlds doomed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
If Dr. DVD loses the bet the mods should change his name to "Dr. Doomed".

Ironically, I went as that Fantastic Four character one Halloween, minus the "ed" part of course.

With my lack of luck with women, I am thankful no one has changed my name to "Dr. DUD."
Old 06-28-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 06-29-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any one care to vote now that the movie is out to the public?
Old 06-29-05, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's safe to say War of the Worlds is doomed to make lots of money.
Old 06-30-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I think it's safe to say War of the Worlds is doomed to make lots of money.
I pray for this kind of damnation daily.
Old 06-30-05, 12:22 PM

Will not go see it in the theater.

If it's worth a damn, I'll borrow it from a friend who buys/rents it and then watch.

This way I see the film but don't contribute any money to Cruise's idiocy.

I win
Old 06-30-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slacker6
Will not go see it in the theater.

If it's worth a damn, I'll borrow it from a friend who buys/rents it and then watch.

This way I see the film but don't contribute any money to Cruise's idiocy.

I win
So you are not seeing it in theaters out of spite? That seems like idiocy to me.
Old 06-30-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I win
Yep you do. As soon as I find a "Dumbest Post in this Thread" award I'll give it to you.
Old 06-30-05, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
So you are not seeing it in theaters out of spite? That seems like idiocy to me.
Yeah, surprisingly it seems like i'm one of the few who think this whole situation with Cruise has been blown way out of proportion by the media.
Old 06-30-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just read that it made $21.8 million yesterday
Old 06-30-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD King
Yeah, surprisingly it seems like i'm one of the few who think this whole situation with Cruise has been blown way out of proportion by the media.
I think it has too. The media, at least certain parts of it, seem intent on finding anything and anyone they can drag down and expose, no matter how petty it is.
Old 06-30-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dubya
That's a great start. Box Office Mojo was predicting a $115 million take the first week. Not sure if that included the 4th holiday.
Old 06-30-05, 02:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like the 7th biggest opening Wednesday figure...
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime...age=wed&p=.htm
Old 06-30-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
WotW had a lot of problems, Cruise and the other actors were not one of them
I don't understand the hate towards him. so what if he's a scientologist he's not preaching his religion in his movies. And almost all his performaces I've seen are good.
Old 06-30-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
Yeah, surprisingly it seems like i'm one of the few who think this whole situation with Cruise has been blown way out of proportion by the internet fanboys who're secretly jealous that Tom's in Katie's pants.
Fixed.
Old 06-30-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubya
I read $21.4 million, but either way, that's a buttload of scratch for a Wednesday opening.
Old 06-30-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It made more in its first day than The Terminal did its opening weekend I think.

While that is good, I noticed that rottentomatoes dropped from 82% Fresh to 72% fresh rather quickly. However, the mainstream critics all seem to like it.
Old 06-30-05, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's a buttload of scratch for a Wednesday opening.
That's a good chunk of change, but with ticket prices it's nowhere near as impressive as it used to be, especially for a big even summer film.
Old 06-30-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise's best one-day worldwide opening ever.

LOS ANGELES (AFP) -- Steven Spielberg's epic "War of the Worlds" raked in 34.6 million dollars worldwide on its first day on screens, the biggest opening ever for a movie starring Tom Cruise, producers said.

The 135-million-dollar adaptation of HG Wells' 1989 science fiction novel notched up a whopping 21.3 million dollars in the United States and Canada alone, where it debuted Wednesday on 3,908 screens, Paramount Pictures said.

The ticket receipts represented the largest opening day in the history of Paramount Pictures as well as the largest opening day for a Tom Cruise movie, the studio said.

"We're ecstatic; this is just the beginning of a long and successful run at box offices around the globe," said the studio's vice chairman Rob Friedman.

"We've got a dream team of Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg and they've both delivered yet again," he added in a statement.
Old 06-30-05, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish

To each his/her own. Enjoy dropping $30 at the theater. My 110" screen at home works just fine. Like I said, some friend will buy it and I'll borrow it. No biggie to me. Maybe I'd like to see it but just feel like contributing any money to certified lunatic. Go ahead and do so if you'd like. For one, I'm tired of his religious over-promotion and just prefer to not spend my money on someone who stoops to such antics in a publicity effort. The only person blowing this entire thing out of proportion is TC because he can't keep his mouth shut.

Hey, I'll be the first to go see an ORIGINAL movie at the theater and not another remake. I saw Sideways and didn't mind paying as the concept and story were new. This isn't. They need some originality in Hollywood and that is something I don't mind supporting.

Frankly, I didn't criticize any of you guys but only provided my thoughts and naturally I get a first grade type of response. Very intelligent in my book. You can tell school is out for the summer with that your overly negative responses.

EDIT: I guess I could use my Regal corporate pass, take 8 people to see it and not pay a damn dime. Happy now?

Last edited by slacker6; 06-30-05 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-30-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Doom and gloom is all crap...the audience is going in large numbers...and they are for the most part likiing it.
Old 06-30-05, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
That's a good chunk of change, but with ticket prices it's nowhere near as impressive as it used to be, especially for a big even summer film.
Excellent point, someone should run the inflationary figures for older opening to draw a comparison.
Old 06-30-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But don't forget, analysts in America will only count U.S. receipts when tallying its success!
Old 06-30-05, 07:46 PM

Excellent point, someone should run the inflationary figures for older opening to draw a comparison.
Honestly you won't find much of a comparison. Big Wednesday openers are not something you'll find much if you go back far enough, and opening weekends have in general grown quite a bit (becoming a much more important part of the box office equation) over the last 20 years. Even if you compared, you'd still find this opening high on the list.

And I think those reasons will keep these mega openings high on any OW list. For instance, I know Temple of Doom opened to 25 million in 1984. Even adjusted I doubt that would equal more then 50 million dollars, which means less then 20 million dollar days adjusted. Batman in 1989 opened to 40 million dolalrs. Adjusted that probably barely tops 20 million a day (if that). These examples are of opening weekends and don't have weekdays involved. Of course, I'm guessing on my inflation, but simple truth is increased theater count, increased marketibility, and more dependance on opening weekend versus overall gross means these big openings we see today even when compared to movies of old will still rank at the top.
Old 06-30-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To each his/her own. Enjoy dropping $30 at the theater. My 110" screen at home works just fine. Like I said, some friend will buy it and I'll borrow it. No biggie to me. Maybe I'd like to see it but just feel like contributing any money to certified lunatic. Go ahead and do so if you'd like. For one, I'm tired of his religious over-promotion and just prefer to not spend my money on someone who stoops to such antics in a publicity effort. The only person blowing this entire thing out of proportion is TC because he can't keep his mouth shut.

Hey, I'll be the first to go see an ORIGINAL movie at the theater and not another remake. I saw Sideways and didn't mind paying as the concept and story were new. This isn't. They need some originality in Hollywood and that is something I don't mind supporting.

Frankly, I didn't criticize any of you guys but only provided my thoughts and naturally I get a first grade type of response. Very intelligent in my book. You can tell school is out for the summer with that your overly negative responses.

EDIT: I guess I could use my Regal corporate pass, take 8 people to see it and not pay a damn dime. Happy now?
First of all, just because you tried to mask your insults doesn't cease to make them insults. Also, I wasn't attacking you, I just didn't understand your reasoning.

Tom Cruise gets paid whether you go to see the movie or not. His paycheck doesn't rely solely on your admission. He probably gets backend from ticket sales, but he's probably getting a nice chunk up front.

I really don't care if you go to see the movie or not; like you said, it's your perogative. But the idea that you wouldn't go see a movie because you don't like someone's current behaviour seems strange.

Edit to your edit: What is with this smarmy attitude? I don't give a shit if you see the movie or not. I have nothing invested in the movie, personally or financially. All I care about is if I like it.

Last edited by FinkPish; 06-30-05 at 07:57 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.