Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay, is War of the Worlds doomed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Has Tom Cruise doomed War of the Worlds
Yep
15.67%
Nope
66.42%
You don't know the history of moviegoer psychology, I do!
17.91%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Okay, is War of the Worlds doomed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
0/5 for this thread.

what the fuck is with this board's obsession of anticipating "doom" for summer movies?
Old 06-24-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. Why on Earth would you think that? The vast majority of people don't give a shit about interviews for movies.
Old 06-25-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm not sure what may be OOP or not. I haven't kept up with my DVD library all that much over the last year or so. My DVD collection is about as standard as you can get. At this point Doc, I don't think I do have any OOP titles.

Anything in particular you're looking for? Let me look to see what I'd be willing to wager.

Got the Bond titles of Moonraker of For Your Eyes Only by any chance? If you want to make this low value DVDs that's ok, I got plenty o crap I can part with!
Old 06-25-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I saw a critic on Paula Zahn/CNN last night (Brian or Dennis O'Neil I think, but not sure) , and he thinks that Cruise knows his career is falling apart and that WotW is a huge turkey and Cruise knows it. He also said that he heard rumors WotW is the most costly film in history with a budget of $230 million. In all honesty, I didn't see him as having much credibility.
Old 06-25-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by Kal-El
0/5 for this thread.

what the fuck is with this board's obsession of anticipating "doom" for summer movies?

Dude, it's a site based on movies and most here think they know best and are at the very least junior snobs. It's just like a Sports Forum where they all predict wins and losses by X number of points and what have you.

Plus people like to see the failure of others....
Old 06-25-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But when you factor in the previous attempt on asking if a film will fail turned out to be a huge success regardless of any media attention in the negative light, It's pretty clear that WotW will not suffer any.
Old 06-25-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the Bond titles of Moonraker of For Your Eyes Only by any chance?
Believe it or not, I don't have a single Bond title. If I did, I'd be glad to bet one of those.

If you want to make this low value DVDs that's ok, I got plenty o crap I can part with!
About all I've got that I'd be willing to part with is the Evil Dead trilogy, Tora Tora Tora, and Grumpy Old Men. Not a hell of a lot is it? If that doesn't float your boat, maybe we can come up with something else.
Old 06-25-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
But when you factor in the previous attempt on asking if a film will fail turned out to be a huge success regardless of any media attention in the negative light, It's pretty clear that WotW will not suffer any.

Yep.
Old 06-25-05, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Also, I saw a critic on Paula Zahn/CNN last night (Brian or Dennis O'Neil I think, but not sure) , and he thinks that Cruise knows his career is falling apart and that WotW is a huge turkey and Cruise knows it. He also said that he heard rumors WotW is the most costly film in history with a budget of $230 million. In all honesty, I didn't see him as having much credibility.
Yeah, I think it's safe to say he's full of crap. The movie isn't the most costly in history (more like 128 million), the few reviews that have surfaced have all been very positive, and quite frankly...this movie is probably going to be Tom Cruise's highest grosser ever.

Doesn't sound like the end of his career at all.
Old 06-25-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well, there was a thread about Mr. and Mrs. Smith being doomed and since that was pretty much the opposite, I'd have to go with no.
Old 06-25-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This will be #2 behind Star Wars for top grossing movie of the Summer. I for one could care less what Cruise does in his spare time. The guy is one of my favorite actors, Spielberg is my favorite director, and this looks like it's gonna be a very good sci-fi thriller.
Old 06-25-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
Believe it or not, I don't have a single Bond title. If I did, I'd be glad to bet one of those.

About all I've got that I'd be willing to part with is the Evil Dead trilogy, Tora Tora Tora, and Grumpy Old Men. Not a hell of a lot is it? If that doesn't float your boat, maybe we can come up with something else.

Got any unique Star Wars figures? Or perhaps we can just make an agreement that I will hush up about trying to defend Star Wars EU as canon if WotW makes over $200 million and you will not say anything about it not being canon if I win!
Old 06-25-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDHO
...im going to see this because of Speilberg...
Originally Posted by DRG
I'm going to WotW more because of Spielberg than any of the stars.
Originally Posted by mdc3000
not doomed... here's the one reason why it will be huge: SPIELBERG
The fact that Tom Cruise stars in the film makes no difference. You can swap him with any A-List or Z-List actor and the film will make the same amount of money. People are seeing it for Spielberg. Folks didn't go to Jurassic Park to watch Sam Neill, they didn't go to ST: RotS to see Hayden, and they didn't go to Batman Returns to see Katie Holmes. It's all about the director and the thrill. Tom's an oddball, but he's still a decent actor.
Old 06-25-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 235 Posts
I think the movie will do well, but Tom's friends really should do an intervention.
Old 06-25-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cupon
The fact that Tom Cruise stars in the film makes no difference. You can swap him with any A-List or Z-List actor and the film will make the same amount of money. People are seeing it for Spielberg. Folks didn't go to Jurassic Park to watch Sam Neill, they didn't go to ST: RotS to see Hayden, and they didn't go to Batman Returns to see Katie Holmes. It's all about the director and the thrill. Tom's an oddball, but he's still a decent actor.
I'm pretty sure J6P didn't see Batman because of Nolan.
Old 06-25-05, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I'm pretty sure J6P didn't see Batman because of Nolan.
No, they watched it because of Batman. That movie was not simply a star vehicle, neither is War of the Worlds. They coudl succeed minus the star recognition, but in all reality it still helps.

But these aren't movie that hinge on star power in its commercial appeal. Though certainly Mr Cruise helps.
Old 06-26-05, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or perhaps we can just make an agreement that I will hush up about trying to defend Star Wars EU as canon if WotW makes over $200 million and you will not say anything about it not being canon if I win!
Deal! I'll tell you what I'll do if I lose. I'll put up a post with the thread title "Dr. DVD rules all!"

Got any unique Star Wars figures?
As huge a Star Wars fan as I am, I only collect the nicer books, the films, and the posters. I don't have any of the toys.
Old 06-26-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Minority Report barely cleared $130 million in the U.S. I'm not convinced that Spielberg and Cruise are guaranteed to have box office dynamite going into War of the Worlds, especially since I think MR had much stronger trailers and previews going in, and it didn't have nearly the Cruise baggage (although he was finalizing his divorce from Kidman at the time). I was already on the fence about seeing WotW for the past few months, but I think I'll skip it now cause I'm just absolutely sick of Cruise lately. I can wait to borrow the DVD off someone this fall.
Old 06-26-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm curious to see how Spielberg handles the way the aliens die, especially with the way studios are these days. It doesn't seem very exciting.
As far as Cruise, he could shove pencils up his and his woman's ass, and it wouldn't affect the movies I went to see. If they look like fun, I'll check them out.
Old 06-26-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Minority Report barely cleared $130 million in the U.S. I'm not convinced that Spielberg and Cruise are guaranteed to have box office dynamite going into War of the Worlds, especially since I think MR had much stronger trailers and previews going in, and it didn't have nearly the Cruise baggage (although he was finalizing his divorce from Kidman at the time).
War of the Worlds is opening pretty much unapposed where as Minority Report opened against Lilo and Stitch.
Old 06-26-05, 01:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Minority Report barely cleared $130 million in the U.S. I'm not convinced that Spielberg and Cruise are guaranteed to have box office dynamite going into War of the Worlds
$358 mil worldwide.

That is an incredible number. Sorry to break it to you.

LAST SAMURAI? $456 worldwide.

TERMINAL? $218 worldwide.

The Cruise and Spielberg guns still have plenty of powder.
Old 06-26-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
It's amazing but sad how much the American press focuses only on what a movie makes here. Like you said, Samurai was a big hit internationally yet you'd never know it from U.S. analysts. And I can't count the number of times I saw "Troy" and the words "disappointment" or "flop", despite the fact the movie made nearly a half BILLION dollars counting overseas b.o. Them dollars all spend the same way, don't they?
Old 06-26-05, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
It's amazing but sad how much the American press focuses only on what a movie makes here. Like you said, Samurai was a big hit internationally yet you'd never know it from U.S. analysts. And I can't count the number of times I saw "Troy" and the words "disappointment" or "flop", despite the fact the movie made nearly a half BILLION dollars counting overseas b.o. Them dollars all spend the same way, don't they?

Good point. They act as if a movie is a bomb if it doesn't clear half a billion by Monday morning on it's opening weekend.

I would think most "bombs" more than make up for "lackluster" Domestic sales internationlly. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Old 06-26-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just see this as certain peoples' need to see someone, who has been so successful previously, crash and burn, especially when they are as over-exposed as Cruise is right now. It's schadenfreude, plain and simple.

I hope War of the Worlds is a great movie (and it looks to be), but even if it tanks, as long as I enjoyed it, I really couldn't care less what happens in the box office.
Old 06-26-05, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVDHO
after this I will not pay to see another Cruise Film,sorry MI:3 but I will pass.
Oh really? So if Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg teamed up to co-direct an Alberto Grimaldi production, which had an awesome premise, the largest budget in the history of cinema, and a cast including everybody from Robert DeNiro, to Al Pacino, to Jack Nicholson...you'd sit it out because Tom Cruise had a supporting role?

I just think it's silly to say, "I'm going to see this one because the movie looks like it's worth seeing, but NEVER AGAIN!"

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.