Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw Bewitched (Review thread)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw Bewitched (Review thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie has two strikes against it for me: Will Farrell and Bewitched. I'm one of a handful of people who really don't think that man is remotely funny, and I really never enjoyed the original show all that much. Maybe if Agnes Moorehed was still around and in the movie, I'd be sorely tempted because she is the only thing that made the show bearable.

I do like Nicole Kidman. Just not enough to see her in this. After Cold Mountain, I learned that not even the best actors can make a dull movie good.
Old 06-26-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by mllefoo
Maybe if Agnes Moorehed was still around and in the movie, I'd be sorely tempted because she is the only thing that made the show bearable.
Shirley McLaine does a decent "Endora". She almost looks like her... which isn't really a good thing
Old 06-26-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Shirley McLaine does a decent "Endora". She almost looks like her... which isn't really a good thing

Huh? Agnes Moorehead was elegant and she had a powerful presence. Shirley fits that bill too.
Old 06-26-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The movie was ok... it would have been better if they just did a remake of the tv show instead of the wacko plot.

And what is up with them not finishing plotlines? Like the one with Nigel and Endora.
Old 06-26-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nightwing82
The movie was ok... it would have been better if they just did a remake of the tv show instead of the wacko plot.

I loved the show as a kid, as I religously watched the reruns on Nick at Nite back in the 80's. I found the flick fun and enjoyable for what it was, but it would have been better with a plain old update. It seems like Nora Ephron had the same trouble with this one as she had with You've Got Mail: a cute premise and good first half, followed by an inability to effectively finish the film.
Old 06-27-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first problem is the casting of Nicole Kidman. She may be a good actress but a comedic one she sure as hell ain't.
Old 06-28-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I read all the negative reviews here on dvdtalk, I went the the theater, bought my ticket, and IGNORED ALL OF THE BAD DVDTALK and CRITIC REVIEWS and totally enjoyed myself in this cute little movie. I loved it and the audience loved it. We were laughing from beginning to end. I loved everyone who was in it. As mentioned before Nicole Kidman was incredibly cute in this movie. I'm alos glad they tried somethign new with the this remake insted of totally remaking the original. I'll bet if they had remade the original you guys would be bitching about that too.

I give it an A-. The minus is only because there wasn't enough Shirley McClaine IMHO.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-28-05 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-28-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
The first problem is the casting of Nicole Kidman. She may be a good actress but a comedic one she sure as hell ain't.
I couldn't disagree more. She was not the main comedy source for this film. Other characters were around her to fill that role.
Old 06-29-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm curious, but not bigscreen serious, DVD rental serious is the best I can muster for this puppy......
Old 07-05-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked it. Then again, I love Ferrell, and there was plenty of him in it. Kidman was also very cute, and even though it had some slow parts, I still laughed at plenty.
Old 07-05-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it,could it have been better? Yes,but I still really like it. Does anyone know whether or not this will come to DVD before Xmas?
Old 07-05-05, 10:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by TNAJason
I liked it,could it have been better? Yes,but I still really like it. Does anyone know whether or not this will come to DVD before Xmas?
I'm sure of it.
Old 07-06-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I'm sure of it.

I'll buy it.
Old 08-23-05, 09:05 AM

what's the deal with will ferrell and cappucino machines?
Old 02-14-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got around to watching this flick, and I must say, I didn't hate it like I thought I was going to. I'd even go as far to say that I'm not totally sure why so many people totally bashed it up and down. Sure, the script could have been way better, but I thought that Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell really worked together. Not to mention that Nicole has never been cuter and more adorable than she is in this one. The ending seemed really rushed, and I didn't really care for the "best friend", or the agent.

Eh, to me it was just one of those films that is just what it is. It wasn't a great classic film, and it wasn't trying to be. It's one of those flicks that knows it's place, and that's just a very light romantic comedy, with a few laughs here and there, with the typical ending that everyone expects.

I'm glad that they didn't go for the straight up remake and instead went for the little twist on the story, it was something a little different. It could have been a lot better, but to me it was a decent way to spend an hour and a half.

I really got a kick out of the following:

http://media.putfile.com/Where-Is-My-Dog

I just put this together:

http://whereismydog.ytmnd.com/

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 02-27-06 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-27-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I'm glad that they didn't go for the straight up remake and instead went for the little twist on the story, it was something a little different. It could have been a lot better, but to me it was a decent way to spend an hour and a half.
This is one thing I liked about it as well.

I wasn't interested in this movie, as I didn't really like the original tv show. I was in a hurry at the video store, so I grabbed it. It turned out pretty good. There were parts I didn't like, such as Will's manager buddy, but the rest was fun.

Nicole was cute as hell throughout.