DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Just saw Bewitched (Review thread) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/427156-just-saw-bewitched-review-thread.html)

Dr. DVD 06-16-05 08:55 PM

Just saw Bewitched (Review thread)

Got to see and advance showing tonight. A cute little movie, but not great as some of it seems rather written on the spot at times. Nicole Kidman is adorable in her role and Will Ferrell makes the most of his role and does what he can of his typical schtick. The best part of the movie is a brief cameo by Steve Carrel as Uncle Arthur. If there is any person who can bring the funny in a situation or movie that is mostly unfunny, it's him.

I give it a B-. I went with a girl and probably wouldn't have even bothered if she had not wanted to go. In all honesty, this is one that can easily wait til DVD to watch unless you have a date or free passes like we did. Not a total washout like a lot of TV based movies, but nothing exceptional, even with its unique approach.

Jackskeleton 06-16-05 08:58 PM

It has kidman, I'll watch it.

TheMadMonk 06-16-05 09:06 PM

I have a crush on Kidman, and I really like Ferrell, Carell, and Colbert, but none of the previews I've seen so far really make me want to see this at all. I'll still likely check it out on dvd, though.

Giantrobo 06-16-05 10:37 PM

Bah, I don't believe you. I'll bet it's great. :mad:

PopcornTreeCt 06-17-05 12:37 AM

Your review is pretty much what I expected. With that said I will skip the theatre, will not buy the DVD, don't got HBO, but maybe I'll be home for the Sunday Night Movie.

I'll post my review in a couple years. :)

calhoun07 06-17-05 01:08 AM

I'll wait for a repeat viewing on TBS in five years.

Yahoo Sirius 06-17-05 01:30 AM

I hate Nora Ephron movies so this is one that I'll likely skip.

calhoun07 06-17-05 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Yahoo Sirius

Ugh. I had no idea that is who did this movie. That's one more reason to wait to see this for free on TV.

Dr. DVD 06-17-05 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Yahoo Sirius

In all honesty, I typically do as well. The only reason this one wasn't her typical tripe was because it had a magic element to it, and some rather top notch comedic talent.

scott shelton 06-17-05 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The only reason this one wasn't her typical tripe was because it had a magic element to it, and some rather top notch comedic talent.

Yes, but she directs it just like her other movies: completely without charm or vision.

Like KICKING AND SCREAMING, Ferrell is doing his screaming schtick here without much support from the director, so a lot of it just dies. Ferrell tries, but it just doesn't come together, which can be said of the entire film.

And I have to disagree with the OP: Steve Carell's cameo as Arthur is horrible. Not only is it a bad impression of Paul Lynde, but it's a last minute idea that sends the movie into a tailspin.

But yes, holy cripes, Kidman is at her most cuddly in this film.

Dr. DVD 06-17-05 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
And I have to disagree with the OP: Steve Carell's cameo as Arthur is horrible. Not only is it a bad impression of Paul Lynde, but it's a last minute idea that sends the movie into a tailspin.

But yes, holy cripes, Kidman is at her most cuddly in this film.

Maybe I just have a bias towards Carell being a daily show fan and all. I agree he was just doing a Paul Lynde impression, but I don't think Lynde was the kind of star that could have an impression done without it looking bad. I do agree that it seemed tacked on and almost seemed like it was trying to turn the movie's focus onto Will Ferrell as their bit went on for quite some time.

But Kidman, ah Nicole...Cruise really screwed up.

Third Baseman 06-23-05 09:45 AM

Owned by my boy James... http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/mo...bewitched.html

Ouch.

Geofferson 06-23-05 10:08 AM

Still debating on whether I'll see this or not (have free passes for a showing tonight).

Dr. DVD 06-23-05 12:47 PM

It's worth not paying for! :thumbsup:

Frank TJ Mackey 06-23-05 05:24 PM

This movie isn't just getting bad reviews, it's getting terrible ones. The critics at RT are just calling it awful.

Save your money for WOTW or go see Batman Begins again.

calhoun07 06-23-05 07:51 PM

I am now doubtful I will watch the inevitable TBS showing of the movie.

Frank TJ Mackey 06-24-05 01:23 PM

One fan review on another website called it 'The Caucasian "Soul Plane."

Matthew Chmiel 06-24-05 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
One fan review on another website called it 'The Caucasian "Soul Plane."

:lol: But Soul Plane was actually a decent film until they got on the "soul plane." ;)

Wow. Can Nicole Kidman make a decent summer outing? First we had to put up with the shit that was The Stepford Wives last year and now we have to put up with a terrible film based off a decent television show. Yikes. Hell, the film doesn't even sound like a horrible trainwreck (like this year's Cursed). It just sounds like plain and total crap.

Patman 06-24-05 08:17 PM

I confess, I passed out trying to watch this movie this afternoon. It was decent for a manic 10 minutes or so (mainly Will Ferrell being goofy), but the rest was so dull.

calhoun07 06-24-05 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I confess, I passed out trying to watch this movie this afternoon. It was decent for a manic 10 minutes or so (mainly Will Ferrell being goofy), but the rest was so dull.

Thanks for taking one for the team, man!

Patman 06-24-05 09:13 PM

I even went and got my drink re-filled, and came back, and still passed out within 10 minutes into the final act.

The Antipodean 06-25-05 06:08 PM

I'll see just about anything with Nicole in it - even (barely) sat through renting "Stepford Wives" - but this still screams "wait for the DVD" all over. Eh.

TomOpus 06-25-05 07:46 PM

Well, went to see it (wasn't my choice) and I'd give it a "C" mainly for Nicole looking so damn adorable. It had a few nice moments, though. People going into this movie shouldn't be expecting much anyway.

There was an interesting moment during the movie. During a segment where they show some old clips of the original series (the Dick York era), the old clips got a bigger laugh than most of the new movie.

Libby 06-25-05 07:55 PM

good feedback, judging from reviews I'll wait for the rental.

PJsig08 06-26-05 03:13 AM

Eh I thought it was watchable, not bad at all. I am a huge Ferrell fan, I have liked everything he has ever done, he still makes me laugh. Check it out if you want, but it's certainly not bad, we all know there is far, FAR worse out there right now. :)