Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A prequel to The Phantom Menace?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-27-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this has been posted already, my appologies.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/5674.html

http://www.cinematical.com/2005/05/2...-wars-prequel/

Posted on Wed, 25-May-2005

He says he's finished, but like a two-year-old on the Loo - has he really?

George Lucas tells a scooper for Cinescape that in the back of his noggin' he has an idea for another add-on to the "Star Wars" movie series : A prequel to "The Phantom Menace".

Nope, not the adventures of young Jar Jar Binks building an underwater haven - but the tales of the Jedi regaining control of the universe from the many Dark Lords some 88 years before Anakin Skywalker's bowl cut ever graced the earth.

Yoda - who was instrumental in the effort - would apparently have a headlining role.

Granted, Lucas, now 60, says he won't be captaining such a ship if it ever happens though. What's the bet FOX is going to lock him in a room, tie him to a chair and request he does anyway though?

Personally, I say go the sequel route - earring adorned Harrison Ford back as vest wearing Solo, whiny Skywalker training Jedi Tykes, C3P0 getting into trouble at Mardis Gras - much more interesting : and Hey, we've already got "Knights of the Old Republic" the video-game to serve as background info on the pre-Anakin days.

Meanwhile, "Revenge of the Sith" hogs the screen at every multiplex and is making quite a packet in doing so - it's now one of the biggest films ever. Yep, bypassed "Mannequin" about five minutes into it's first screening.

George Lucas said he was finished with the Star Wars movies. Ebert didn't believe him, Karina didn't get it, but more importantly - WE wanted more. Stupid Us. It seems George Lucas told a scooper that he has an idea for another add-on to the Star Wars movie series: a prequel to The Phantom Menace. The story would follow the Jedi regaining control of the universe from the many Dark Lords some 88 years before Anakin Skywalker ever graced the universe. Yoda, who, according to Lucas, was instrumental in the effort, would apparently have a headlining role. However, Lucas, now age 60, says he won't be captaining such a ship if it ever happens.

Last edited by roger_d; 05-27-05 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This reminds me of the rumors last year that Lucas was going to go ahead with episodes post ROTJ...it is all bullshit...once again people are taking a minor comment about backstory and creating rumors.

This part cracks me up...

What's the bet FOX is going to lock him in a room, tie him to a chair and request he does anyway though?
Please...Fox has no control over Lucas...please...
Old 05-27-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Lucas not making any more Star Wars films is the best way for him to stick it to all the studios and the industry...c'mon this guy hates the corporate world. He has a "gold making machine", and refuses to use it....In the words of George Carlin..."Fuck'um!"
Old 05-27-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say it probably depends on how the TV show goes. I'd be interested in seeing a prequel, say 500-600 years before TPM. Get to see Yoda in his prime, which would be something.
Old 05-27-05, 12:03 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd rather see events after ROTJ, would be good to see Luke rebuild the Jedi order.
Old 05-27-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be all for Episode 0.Just imagine how cool it would be to see Yoda kicking ass in his younger days.
Old 05-27-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tales of the Jedi. Tales of the Jedi. Tales of the Jedi.

But I don't want Lucas to make it. Let some talented directors take on "side-stories" in the Star Wars universe. I'd love to see a film version of Knights of the Old Republic.
Old 05-27-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I would say it probably depends on how the TV show goes. I'd be interested in seeing a prequel, say 500-600 years before TPM. Get to see Yoda in his prime, which would be something.

Maybe he's 6' tall back then.
Old 05-27-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Maybe he's 6' tall back then.

Tales of the Jedi would be another fun thing to see. I doubt Lucas is done with Star Wars films by a long shot. I think he'll make one or two more in his lifetime, plus the tinkering with the other 6.
Old 05-27-05, 01:50 PM
Suspended

I'm all for it. Bring it on!
Old 05-27-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Lucas is done with Star Wars either. Especially considering the financial success of ROTS.
Old 05-27-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to either see prequels WAY before eps. 1-6..like hundreds or thousands of years, or a post RotJ.
Old 05-27-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Id rather save these kind of stories for the TV shows
Old 05-27-05, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls

But I don't want Lucas to make it. Let some talented directors take on "side-stories" in the Star Wars universe. I'd love to see a film version of Knights of the Old Republic.
Amen to that. Simply put the best Star Wars based game I ever played and a much better story IMO than TPM. I'm not gonna name any actors I'd like to see play some of the parts so as not to spoil the story.
Old 05-27-05, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by gr8fuldave
Amen to that. Simply put the best Star Wars based game I ever played and a much better story IMO than TPM. I'm not gonna name any actors I'd like to see play some of the parts so as not to spoil the story.
I have angelina jolie or elizabeth hurley as Bastialla, Collin Farrel or Bill Pullman as Carth, The Rock as Canderous, Morgan Freeman as Jolee, Chloe Sevigny or Clea DuVall as Juhanni, and Vin Diessel as Darth Malak. Wishful thinking.
Old 05-27-05, 09:15 PM

I'd like to see a CGI version of Shadows of the Empire with the original cast reprising their roles.
Old 05-27-05, 10:43 PM

Folks, this report is BS! If you honestly believe this report, I have a bridge to sell you. If you notice, there are no direct quotes attributed to Lucas at all. In fact, it's all just second hand and third hand information. If Lucas had actually said this, and the report was legitimate, don't you think there would be actual quotes from Lucas.

This only makes about the fourth such rumor, and just as the first three rumors were shot down, this one will be too. It's over. Move on.

But I don't want Lucas to make it. Let some talented directors take on "side-stories" in the Star Wars universe.
Old 05-27-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm getting tired of you taking everything said with regard to George Lucas personally. I don't think Lucas should direct another one for a variety of reasons. Deal with it.
Old 05-28-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
I'd rather see events after ROTJ, would be good to see Luke rebuild the Jedi order.
This would not be very entertaining since all the sith are now gone. Without conflict there is no fun. Prequels would still have both Jedi and Sith so it would have great conflicts.
Old 05-28-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still can be Dark Jedi for conflict..not the same as Sith.
Old 05-29-05, 12:22 AM
Banned

I bet if Lucas's kids write a storyline Lucas would then film it as a good daddy would.
Old 05-29-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls

I really need to get knights of the Old Republic on PC since I don't have an XBox
Old 05-29-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
88 years? The Sith had been extinct for a millenium... at least to the Jedi's knowledge.

Just how old is Palpatine anyway? I have a suspicion that dude was WAY older than the 60 or 70 he appeared to be in the prequels. Possibly training under Plagueis for a VERY long time
Old 05-29-05, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't be so sure that this won't happen.

From theforce.net

Lucas Talks Pre-Phantom Menace Movie

Posted By Joshua on May 28, 2005
OK, so we're still skeptical, but apparently the rumors about a pre-Episode I Star Wars film by Lucas himself somewhat have a leg to stand on. On the heels of the second weekend in theaters for the madly successful Revenge of the Sith comes loose talk from the creator himself about the future of Star Wars.

William Ellis chimes in with the first word on the subject:

Well, it surprises me that TFN and other sites didn't report what Lucas said at the 2nd session at C3. He was asked by a fan "Is there any chance of us ever seeing movies in the Knights of the Old Republic Era?"

His response? "Well, we have a TV series and an animated series and depending how those do, this is something we might someday visit ... but it's too far out to really commit to anything."

I posted on your forums and the official forums and it seemed to be ignored but I heard it, and 3 friends heard it and my wife heard the same thing. I know I wasn't imagining things.

Then Mark confirms the action with this follow-up:

Josh - saw your post on this and though I'd throw my 2 cents in...

Lucas, very quickly and very briefly touched on this in his second
presentation at C3. I think everyone got caught up in the TV news, but he did respond to a question about allowing other directors to make more Star Wars movies and commented that this was under consideration and that this era in particular was one that he had in mind. Nothing set in stone, but he did make it sound as if it were more possible than not.

Former TFN Staffer Chris also heard this quote and makes an observation about it as well:

Lisa and I were in the second session too. So was a friend of mine from Texas and she heard the same thing about an "old Old Republic" project being a possibility. But I wouldn't read too much into it: it seemed more like an idle thought that he was just bandying about after the questioner posed it to him.

Interesting. Again, don't celebrate just yet ... but anything is possible, which is more than we could say a week ago. Stay tuned.
Old 05-29-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to see epi.7,8,9 done with cgi/anime style,somewhat like you seen in AppleSeed the anime that was released a few week's ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.