Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

There is another?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another?

Quick question I'm hoping isn't a huge lapse in continuity:

When Obi-Wan says in ESB that "that boy is our last hope" and Yoda says "No, there is another" shouldn't he have followed that up with "Remember? Padme had twins. You were standing right next to her!"?
Old 05-20-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anakin could have been the last hope... Doesnt mean it was Leia.
Old 05-20-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Already being discussed in the "esb question" thread.
Old 05-20-05, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Hm, it's not really being discussed at all. What is Yoda aware of (about another to save the Republic) that Obi-Wan isn't, especially in his "one with the force" state?
Old 05-20-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post #2:

I also, as a side note, not to thread jack, got REALLY bothered by the scene when Luke leaved Yoda, and Ben says "That boy is our only hope", and Yoda hits the "No there is another" line as if Ben doesn't know there are twins, that bothered me.
Post #3

Glad Im not the only one. As for the "That boy is our only hope" line, good thought. Since Yoda is some 900+ years old, maybe he was going senile and just blurted that out for no logical reason. He could have just said it to make Obi Wan feel better. lol.
And it's followed up quite nicely by others on there. Apparently, Obi Wan's sexist.
Old 05-20-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't we just accept the fact that Lucas flubbed this detail and get on with our lives?
Old 05-20-05, 09:02 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

actually, it could be explained. Maybe after delivering Luke, Yodi and Bail tell Obi-Wan that Leia died of SIDS?
Old 05-20-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, the other day I was all "Great! we're all out of pasta!" and I was told "No, wait, don't forget that we have some more in the other drawer!"
Old 05-20-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadow
actually, it could be explained. Maybe after delivering Luke, Yodi and Bail tell Obi-Wan that Leia died of SIDS?
I might be assuming too much but I believe that old Ben immediately goes into hiding after handing Luke off to the Larses. Plus telling him that Leia died of SIDS is the stupidest thing I've heard since someone claimed that Owen was a pedophiliac.
Old 05-20-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BizRodian..........that's fricken hysterical and weird. Is that a quote from some movie?
Old 05-20-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anakin was said to be too old to start training. Luke was even older. To start training Leia at her age would've been near pointless because by the time she was any good, there'd be 12 death Stars floating around and the emperor would have a new super cool apprentice (maybe it'd even be Luke, who'd wipe the floor with Leia).

D
Old 05-20-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the answer is: anything that seems like a mystery in the older films - isn't one any longer. And that's actually intentional.
Old 05-20-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe Obi Wan thought that Leia being into politics would somehow compromise any Jedi training she would receive?
Old 05-20-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, Leia being into politics does indeed do that. If you want to count the EU stuff, Leia never becomes a Jedi. She always leaves the Force side of things to Luke.

Theoretically, it could be considered that since Ben was one with the Force, he was able to see that destiny foretold that Luke would be the One, and Leia wasn't meant/wouldn't be able to return the Jedi order. Perhaps Ben just figured he wouldn't get into a long debate with Yoda about how destiny never indicated that Luke was the "chosen twin" or whatever you want to call it.

Of course, if you exclude all the EU stuff and just consider the end of Jedi, then it could be assumed that Leia goes on to become a Jedi herself... But including EU gives just about the only explanation one can give to this blunder.
Old 05-21-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about the real answer....Lucas didn't decide to make Leia Luke's sister until episode 6/
Old 05-21-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's simple... Obi-Wan is a chauvanist bastard, and doesn't give any credit to females. The other twin, the 'lesser twin' Leia, doesn't even merit consideration by this rat bastard.

Old 05-21-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The "That boy is our last hope" scene is up for interpretation...the scene that REALLY doesn't make sense now is Leia being able to remember her mother, while Luke cannot. Luke even empahisizes her "REAL" mother in the conversation...so don't tell me she's remembering her adoptive mother in that scene.
Old 05-21-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just thought maybe Yoda was reminding Obi-Wan that there was still hope for Anakin's redemption. I mean, I don't remember Obi-Wan turning to Yoda afterwards and going, "No shit? Who dat?"

K
Old 05-21-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
It's simple... Obi-Wan is a chauvanist bastard, and doesn't give any credit to females. The other twin, the 'lesser twin' Leia, doesn't even merit consideration by this rat bastard.

That's true. I've seen the full unedited scene at a convention and if I remember correctly the dialogue goes

Ben : That boy is our last hope
Yoda: No, there is another
Ben: Another hope?
Yoda: Yes, Leia.
Ben (Rolling his eyes): Yeah maybe she can use the force to bake me up some muffins.
Old 05-21-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or it could be that the one Obi Wan thought would be the other was Skippy, the Jedi droid, and Obi Wan knew Skippy blew his motivator, and naturally was still broken up about it in Empire and forgot about Leia and needed a friendly reminder.
Old 05-21-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Ben : That boy is our last hope
Yoda: No, there is another
Ben: Another hope?
Yoda: Yes, Leia.
Ben (Rolling his eyes): Yeah maybe she can use the force to bake me up some muffins.
Exactly!
Old 05-21-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"There is another" refers to the Youngling who got the changed Jedi Beacon signal and hid out to avoid "Order 66" and the new Emperor. He contacted Yoda on his confidential frequency, and Yoda has been secretly training him for an eventual battle against Sidous, if Luke fails.

....I got nothing....
Old 05-22-05, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Yeah, the whole Luke/Leia brother/sister thing is problematic when you look at eps. 4 & 5.
Old 06-03-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich
Anakin was said to be too old to start training. Luke was even older. To start training Leia at her age would've been near pointless because by the time she was any good, there'd be 12 death Stars floating around and the emperor would have a new super cool apprentice (maybe it'd even be Luke, who'd wipe the floor with Leia).

D
lol! NOW i know why they made the Vader/BK commerical, its all a tie in for an alternate-reality trilogy Lucas is going to make... midway through the 2nd movie Darth Luke says "no, Liea, I am your brother!"

j
Old 06-03-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Leia was never very strong with the force. Most of the medoclorians went to Luke (or so Obi Wan believed).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.