Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More horror re-makes... next up - The Hitcher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

More horror re-makes... next up - The Hitcher

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bay's producing, eh?

Suddenly, this film will be "based on a true story".
Old 04-26-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why remake this? Sure, it has it's fan base but nowhere near the popularity or name recognition of Amityville or TCM.
Old 06-06-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 635 Posts
I guess Suicy deleted his thread instead of waiting for it to be merged..

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002611580

June 01, 2006
Bean thumbs killer role in new 'Hitcher'
By Borys Kit

Sean Bean is thumbing his way to "The Hitcher," Rogue Pictures' remake of the 1986 horror film being produced by Platinum Dunes. Sophia Bush also is on board the film, which is being directed by veteran music video helmer Dave Meyers. The script follows a young couple driving across the country who become prey for a serial killer, who blames all of his murders on the young man. Eric Bernt wrote the current draft. Bean will carve out the serial killer role made famous by Rutger Hauer in the original. Bush (WB Network's "One Tree Hill") has been cast as the young woman; casting is imminent on the young man. Producing are Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller as well as Charles Meeker and Alfred Haber. Production is scheduled to start this month in Austin and Santa Fe, N.M. Bean, repped by CAA and ICM London, is shooting "The Outlaw," directed by Nick Love. The series of historical telepics produced in the 1990s that featured Bean in the star-making role of British army Lt. Richard Sharpe recently aired for the first time in the U.S. on BBC America. He is best known here for his appearances in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy as well as recent features "Flightplan" and "North Country."
Old 06-07-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Casting of Bean in Hauers role:
Everything else:
Old 06-07-06, 03:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sean Bean? Okay, they have my attention.

As for the recent remake trend, it could go either way.

I've liked:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Hills Have Eyes, The Omen, House of Wax, Willard

Mixed:
The Amityville Horror, Toolbox Murders

Not good:
When a Stranger Calls, The Fog
Old 06-07-06, 04:06 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts
i'm glad Sean Bean is getting the recognition he deserves and is now becoming a lead. he was great in "Patriot Games" and everything else thereafter.

as for the movie...the 86 is one of my favorites and well, this could have been called anything else...i mean hell, there really haven't been too many psycho road trip horror movies of late so it could have been called anything and not get the discern it was rightfully due.
Old 06-07-06, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't interested in this until they cast Sean Bean. Now I am there opening weekend. I like him a lot and think he is great for the role.
Old 06-07-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to Bloody-Disgusting, the guy in the film will be Sam Rockwell, and somewhere Rutger Hauer is also fitting into this film.
Old 06-07-06, 08:50 PM

Sam Rockwell and Sean Bean? It's like they are going out of their way to make sure I see this opening day and, if this casting holds, I so will.
Old 09-10-06, 01:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nobody can top Rutger ! but Sean Bean is cool
Old 12-04-06, 10:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Trailer:

http://www.roguepictures.com/viewer....ov&h=360&w=480
Old 12-05-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow. just...wow. do yourself a favor...rent the original.
Old 12-05-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the film has the gender roles reversed for the hero?

I'm only guessing that since the trailer reveals a major spoiler for a death scene that happens in the original...
Old 12-05-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

moving to DVD Stalk subforum...
Old 12-05-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yawn. Rather just watch the original.
Old 12-06-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
This is my second favourite film of all time (Bladerunner being number 1) and i know 100% that this film will suck ass. I actually like Sean Bean...but at the end of the day you are putting him in a role that was captured perfectly by Rutger Hauer. Now Rutger has done his fair share of shit films...especially in recent years...but in the 80s this was the go to guy for a great villain. His greatest role was Roy Batty....but John Ryder was a close second. He gives the character intelligence and menace...but he also doesn't look like a quintessential bad guy. He is a good looking guy (well not to me personally, but i am sure that there are women who find him so) and he has personality and character that he brings to the role.

Also C. Thomas Howell.....well he has never been and never will be a good actor. However he brought an innocence to the role that worked. You felt that he was alone in the film. Now with the remake it is two kids.....WTF!!!! I just know that this film will be another piece of shit remake that will have cost nothing to make and is just jumping on the horror band wagon. Hollywood really has run out of ideas. I expect that within a few years they will decide to remake Toy Story or Star Wars.
Old 05-17-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just caught this on DVD today. Actually not too bad, all things considered. Definitely a hard 'R' for the violence.

= J
Old 05-17-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it as well, except for the ending. Sean Bean is cool.
Old 05-17-07, 10:30 PM

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. There's been much worse released lately.

Maybe I just had low expectations. But, I didn't think it was that bad.
Old 05-18-07, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an ok time waster type of film. It could have been far worse. And is mostly(no surprise) a glossy fast paced stripped down version of the original. Though it does have a nice mean streak at the very least. It still doesn't pack the punch the original film does. But it's not the worst film ever made.

And one sequence was totally cool in kickass visual sort of way. It's when Nine Inch Nails comes in on the soundtrack. Sure it's less suspenseful and tense/gripping than the scene from the original. But it works in an empty style for style type of way being the empty film that it is. Of course the style takes you out of the plight of the charecters and into being wowed by the carnage Sean Bean does,all to a kickass tune. But I enjoyed it for what it was, and it's my favorite scene from the film.

So it's a definite rental or catch it on cable sometime flick.
Old 05-18-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But it's not the worst film ever made.
That should be the quote on the box.

"...[The Hitcher is] not the worst film ever made."
- Julie Walker, DVDtalk
Old 05-18-07, 08:15 AM

Bought the DVD 2 weeks ago when it came out and finally got around to watching it and my thoughts are: It's not great but its not the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen.
Sean Bean & Neal McDonough were good (Big fan of Boomtown & medical investigation) but Sophia Bush has about as much acting talent as the shotgun. Of course she did star on One tree hill so i think i got my answer of why she can't act right there.
Old 05-18-07, 01:07 PM

I went in with super low expectations because of all the bad stuff I'd heard about it and I don't think it's that bad either. Like others, I won't be throwing away the original anytime soon, but I've seen worse remakes. That's for sure. I also thought Sean Bean and Neal McDonough were good in their parts. I was actually just surprised it wasn't a total stinker after all the bad reviews it received. I'd consider buying it when it gets down to $10 or below on DVD.
Old 05-18-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually not too bad, all things considered.

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

It still doesn't pack the punch the original film does. But it's not the worst film ever made.

It's not great but its not the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen.

I went in with super low expectations because of all the bad stuff I'd heard about it and I don't think it's that bad either.
It's funny to read all these quotes. Everyone seems to tackle the movie in a similar fashion.
Old 05-18-07, 09:34 PM

I liked this and am eagerly awaiting the eventual unrated cut. Too bad they
Spoiler:
killled Rider off though, the sequels won't be really worth it without him.

Last edited by OwlAtHome; 05-19-07 at 01:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.