Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo on TCM with Bunuel marathon!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Turner Classic Movies gives us yet another reason why they are the best movie channel on cable...

All times are Eastern:
Thursday May 5, 2005

8:00 PM Olvidados, Los (1950) A Mexican street gang fights to survive poverty. Alfonso Mejia, Roberto Cobo, Estela Inda. D: Luis Bunuel. 88m.

9:45 PM Nazarin (1959) A priest leaves the clergy to go on a pilgrimage and learn about life. Francisco Rabal, Marga Lopez, Rita Macedo. D: Luis Bunuel. 92m.

11:30 PM Viridiana (1961) When she inherits a fortune, a young nun tries to help the poor. Silvia Pinal, Francisco Rabal, Fernando Rey. D: Luis Bunuel. 90m.

1:15 AM The Exterminating Angel (1962) High society guests find themselves unable to leave the dining room after a posh dinner party. Silvia Pinal, Jacqueline Andere, Jose Baviera. D: Luis Bunuel. 95m.

3:00 AM Simon of the Desert (1965) A religious sage fights temptation from Satan himself. Claudio Brooks, Silvia Pinal, Hortensia Santovena. D: Luis Bunuel. 43m.

I am particularly looking forward to The Exterminating Angel. The only time I've seen this movie the print was almost unwatchable.
Old 03-29-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crap, I've got to figure out a way to get TCM from ComCast. That's the one channel I don't get that I want... I'd gladly give up half the channels I currently have just to get this one. But I think the only way I can get it is to 'upgrade' to a higher package. That means major $$$$ each month. Grrrrrr...
Old 03-29-05, 01:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino

I am particularly looking forward to The Exterminating Angel. The only time I've seen this movie the print was almost unwatchable.

oh my god, I just rented the Hen Home Video VHS and my god - it's pretty attocious looking. Looking forward to DV-R'ing this as well all the other films and seeing,

Viridiana
Simon of the Desert

for the first time

thanks for the news Damfino.
Old 03-29-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Five masterpieces. TCM is the best channel on TV.
Old 03-29-05, 01:45 PM

I can't wait to see all these movie when TCM ports on over to HiDef.
Old 03-29-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, this is just killing me. The only way for me to get this channel is to upgrade to "Digital Silver"... at a cost of $15 more per month.

I'm already paying $80 for cable (with no DVR or premium channels). I'll be damned if I'm paying $15 more for 1 channel. I really wish they'd implement some sort of system where I could pick the specific channels I want. Again, I'd dump about 100 of my current channels gladly just to get TCM. Double-grrrr...
Old 03-29-05, 02:06 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Sweet Jesus.

Old 03-29-05, 02:25 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I can't wait to see all these movie when TCM ports on over to HiDef.
Old 03-29-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
oh my god, I just rented the Hen Home Video VHS and my god - it's pretty attocious looking.
That's the one I rented several years ago. It was so bad I was constantly hitting the pause button to read almost illegible subtitles. hopefully TCM will have access to a clean print.
Old 03-29-05, 03:02 PM

That's the one I rented several years ago. It was so bad I was constantly hitting the pause button to read almost illegible subtitles. hopefully TCM will have access to a clean print.
not only were the subtitles almost illegible, there were quite a few moments where dialogue weren't even subtitled.
Old 03-29-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is indeed . . . the shit.
Old 03-29-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I do not know if you care but Los Olvidados, Viridiana and the Exterminating Angel are available out of Brazil with excellent image but no subtitles in english. They come seperate and together in a box set. There are also some other Bunuel films released by the same company. check dvdworld.com.br or any other brazilian site. Again, no english subs only portuguese.
Old 03-29-05, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Guys I do not know if you care but Los Olvidados, Viridiana and the Exterminating Angel are available out of Brazil with excellent image but no subtitles in english. They come seperate and together in a box set. There are also some other Bunuel films released by the same company. check dvdworld.com.br or any other brazilian site. Again, no english subs only portuguese.
no english subs = no sale
Old 03-29-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
It's good to know that clean prints exist, but I also need English subs.
Old 03-29-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Gracias!
Old 05-04-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

reminder bump.
Old 05-04-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I already bribed my coworker to record 10 of the Orson Welles films showing this month. I don't think he'd do any more for me so I'll probably miss these
Old 05-05-05, 10:46 AM

phew, thanks damfino.
Old 05-06-05, 12:20 AM
Suspended

they are the best movie channel on cable...
Damn right on this. "ABBA: The Movie" and "Colossus of Rhodes" in their OAR made this channel for me.
Old 05-06-05, 07:11 AM

crap, taped "Colossus of Rhodes" but missed "ABBA: The Movie" (hope they can reair that)

RE: the Bunuel films (and a quick look see from my DV-R copies)

- "Viridiana" - letterboxed

- "The Exterminating Angel" - much improved print and subtitling. prevailant hiss on soundtrack that fluctuates in and out at random points. Mildly distracting, but no where as attrocious as the Hen VHS version (Fullscreen)

- "Simon of the Desert" - fullscreen, both this and 'Angel' have the Janus logo prior to the beginning of the film (future Criterion DVD?).
Old 05-06-05, 02:53 PM

Wow, caught Los Olvidados, Nazarin, and Viridiana and taped the others. Nazarin and Viridiana looked great. Bunuel may be the greatest director ever, he created a style that can not be duplicated. Amazing stuff. Looking forward to the Exterminating Angel and Simon of the Desert sometime this weekend. Hope all of these someday make it to Criterion like his other masterpieces. How about a Bunuel Criterion Box Set of these films??? We can dream!
Old 05-06-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My observations...

Los Olvidados - The TCM print seemed blurry when I compared it to the French R0 DVD. Koch Lorber is restoring this movie for an R1 DVD release (see post 111)
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=olvidados

Nazarin - I had never seen this one before. Good movie.

Viridiana - TCM had a nice letterboxed print that was better than the VHS version I rented some years ago.

Exterminating Angel - TCM had a nice print with inconsistent audio, but it was an enormous improvement over the VHS version.

Simon of the Desert - I haven't watched it yet.

In other Bunuel DVD news, Phantom of Liberty comes to R1 this month from Criterion and Tristana has recently been released in R2 UK

Last edited by Damfino; 05-06-05 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found this thread a day too late... ack, I hope it gets a replay!

It's great to hear that "Viridiana" looks better than the VHS, as it's one of my very favorite Bunuels. I'd love to have that supposedly excellent (French?) DVD, but no English subs.

So, it TCM really going HD?