Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Old Disney VHS "cereal box-size" gift sets info?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You remember. You could get them only at the Disney Store, back before DVD was invented. You got (usually) the movie on VHS, the CD soundtrack, a second tape with special features, a book about the making, and a 8x11 (whatever the size of a sheet of paper is) lithograph/print whatever.

My mom used to collect these before she died about a year ago and I want to take over. I know they really don't make these anymore. Now with DVDs, those extras, like the second tape with Beauty and the Beast which was the work in progress will usually be on the DVD(s). The closest thing to the "paper" extras like these VHS boxsets were the collector's edition versions of Lion King and Aladdin on DVD, which still didn't quite measure up to the VHS special editions. Though not Disney, Spider-Man and ET giftsets were closer to how these Disney VHS sets were.

My point is that I was wondering if anyone had any kind of comprehensive list of all of these giftsets (VHS and DVD), all of the "free" lithographs you could get either inside a gift set, or handed to you when you pre-ordered. I'd really like a website with pictures of everything, mainly the lithographs, if a such thing exists.

Here's what I have:

VHS giftsets:
Cinderella (with 4-in 1 litho)
Pinocchio (with litho)
Aladdin (with litho)
Snow White (set of 10 movie poster replicas)
Beauty and the Beast (I think this litho got lost )
Fantasia (with litho)

DVD giftsets (do not include 8x11 lithographs):
Aladdin
Lion King

Aladdin and Lion King DVDs had lithos only without the giftsets I believe.

I also have these other Disney lithos:

Aladdin (set of 4)
Lion King (set of 4)
Two other single Lion King prints
Beauty and the Beast (set of 4)
Lilo and Stitch (set of 4)
Finding Nemo (set of 4)
Monsters, Inc. (set of 4)
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas

Any help would be appreciated. And I am NOT talking about framed prints or lithographs you can PURCHASE, only the ones FREE when you buy something else. I just now remembered the DVD-case size ones Best Buy had. I have a few, don't remember which ones or where they are.
Old 05-05-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Might want to browse the Ultimate Disney forums: www.ultimatedisney.com/forums
Old 05-05-05, 03:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While not exactly the same thing, I did get a set of lithographs for ordering Snow White from The Disney Store.
Old 05-05-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i saw the big toy story vhs set like this at tower records brand new for ten bucks about a year ago....i see these vhs at the used stores for around 50 bucks these days
Old 05-06-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I always laughed at the people who bought these- if you wanted a real "collectible", you'd get the laserdisc! Of course Di$ney would usually crap on LD people by delaying releases a few months after they hit VHS, because laserdisc didn't have any copy protection.
Old 05-07-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I always laughed at the people who bought these- if you wanted a real "collectible", you'd get the laserdisc! Of course Di$ney would usually crap on LD people by delaying releases a few months after they hit VHS, because laserdisc didn't have any copy protection.
The laserdisc sets were amazing. That is the one thing I miss in the move to DVD, the premium sets aren't near as good. The disney sets usually had large lithos, and a hardcover book.