Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

$74,000 on one screen in one weekend?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

scroll down and check out the figures for Woody Allen's new movie...

I'm trying to figure out how it's possible. If the screen is in NYC, then you figure each ticket is $10.50. So that means that 7048 people saw the film on one screen, in one weekend?
Old 03-20-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Makes sense to me. There are 8 million people in NYC after all, and at 6 or so showings a day over three days for a theater that holds 500 people or so the seats wouldn't even be entirely full.
Old 03-20-05, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Makes sense to me. There are 8 million people in NYC after all, and at 6 or so showings a day over three days for a theater that holds 500 people or so the seats wouldn't even be entirely full.
Yeah, but I can probably count the number of theaters in NYC with that many seats... and I can't imagine any of them showing a Woody Allen movie. The number of people here is irrelevant... I just think it has to be misreported.
Old 03-20-05, 08:36 PM

just found the theater online. Looks like it is actually on at least 3 (possibly 4) screens. Makes sense now.
Old 03-20-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this is showing at the Lincoln Center Loews. I think that a few of the theaters hold about 500+ ppl but most hold about 200 or so.

also, this is the theater that always get the early movies before they go out on mass release. I saw Million Dollar Baby & Hotel Rwanda there back in December.
Old 03-20-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moulin Rogue made $82,000 a screen on it's opening weekend in NY and LA.
Old 03-21-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
this is showing at the Lincoln Center Loews.
For those outside of NYC ... that particular multiplex is on the upper west side - the heart of Woody Allen country. If Woody Allen were a neighborhood, he'd be the upper west side.
Old 03-21-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
What I find more curious is why Will Ferrel chose to make a movie that will do less business than "A Night at the Roxbury."
Old 03-21-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I find more curious is why Will Ferrel chose to make a movie that will do less business than "A Night at the Roxbury."
To show that he has more range as an actor?

And contrary to popular belief, A Night at the Roxbury did well for a low budget SNL comedy flick.
Old 03-21-05, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Actors line up around the block to work with Woody Allen. At the very least, it's nice on the resumé. For some, it even gets them an Oscar nom.
Old 03-21-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
From www.boxofficeguru.com, I found this interesting:

Scorching hot in its exclusive Manhattan debut was Woody Allen's newest film Melinda and Melinda which grossed an estimated $74,048 from just one theater in the director's home turf. Playing on three screens at the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas, the PG-13 pic tells the story of a woman in crisis from both a comedic and tragic point of view and stars Radha Mitchell, Will Ferrell, and Amanda Peet. The performance set a new record for a single-theater opening weekend outside of Imax and animated films.
Old 03-21-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
If Woody Allen were a neighborhood, he'd be the upper west side.
Old 03-21-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Actors line up around the block to work with Woody Allen. At the very least, it's nice on the resumé. For some, it even gets them an Oscar nom.
And I think that's a big part of it. As I've read other directors say, if you want actors to want to work with you, just get them awards. And Woody Allen films often times lead to awards noms and wins. Sweet and Lowdown with its best actor and supporting actress noms. Bullets over Broadway and Mighty Aprohdite with their best supporting actress wins. Not to mention many other accolades from best picture to best writing nods all over the place. His movies do well critically and actors love that (and I'm sure enjoy his writing, which are very character based and high profile enough that it'll never hurt your career as no one expects them to make money anyway).

It's no wonder he is able to get so many quality actors.
Old 03-22-05, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was playing on a screen here near LA in Santa Monica on Second St too. Did they count that towards its gross?
Old 03-22-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I just don't get the continued fawning over Woody Allen's work. He hasn't made a movie people have paid to see literally in decades. Critics say they love them, but I wonder if even they actually go see them.

I am being facetious, but there is a grain of truth in what I type...and you know it.