Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars trailer on Thurs during The OC

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars trailer on Thurs during The OC

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my brother tape the trailer last night...

I'm glad he did. It look really good. I'm definatly looking forward to seeing this.
Old 03-11-05, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
You mean - too much everything and not enough nothing?"
I'm not saying the TPM was perfect and AOTC was horrible, it's just that 2 of the coolest things that have happened in the Star Wars films were in TPM. Obviously I am talking about the pod race and final Darth Maul duel. If they would have fixed some of the really bad dialog and cast young Vader better, along with tightening up the middle, this film would have been right up there with TESB. I'm not sure in AOTC that we really had any big "wow" moments other than possibly Yoda. The duals were way to short and special effects while impressive still didn't fit seamlessly with the live actors. When I left AOTC I was very disappointed overall. Lots of potential in this trailer but I am afraid that there is too much going on to do any one thing right. Also, the special effects don't look like they have progressed from AOTC which is likely the main reason I didn't love this trailer. There are at least 3 places that I know of that could really be awesome in this movie (Palpatine fighting, General Grievous fighting, and final duel). Hope it is as good as I hope but (probably for the best) I will lower my expectations a little but will still be in line on opening day.

Last edited by Ketamine; 03-11-05 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
Liked the Trailer alot...but I'm going to have to bitch about Vader crossing his arms!!!! What the hell is that?!?!?! That's sooooo not Vader! CROSSING ARMS!?!?! What the Frigg!

When I saw that, I expected to hear him say the words: "This just sucks!"

Jack: I agree with your statements about TPM. If I had my way, AOTC would have been Part I, part II would have been devoted entirely to the Clone Wars, and III would be as is.
Old 03-11-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
Supposidly a full HD rip.

It is sooooo beautiful
Thank you
Old 03-11-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Thank you
No problem. I can't stop watching it
Old 03-11-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The OC.
Old 03-11-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is sooooo beautiful

thanks for the link!
Old 03-11-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Awesome trailer. While I am a fan of the first two prequels, I don't believe they are perfect by any means. I enjoyed them for what they were, cringed at the stuff that I didn't like, and moved on. I am sure I will enjoy this one no matter what, but from the trailer it does look like it's shaping up to be the best of the prequels.
Old 03-11-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander
Awesome trailer. While I am a fan of the first two prequels, I don't believe they are perfect by any means. I enjoyed them for what they were, cringed at the stuff that I didn't like, and moved on. I am sure I will enjoy this one no matter what, but from the trailer it does look like it's shaping up to be the best of the prequels.
Agree 100%, I'm with you there. I really enjoyed Episode I & II, but I think part of that was that I was never one of those obsessed Star Wars kids and I didn't build up an unhealthy 15+ years of expectations for a new movie.
Old 03-11-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
You can say that about any director. All directors have made films I didn't like. I don't know of a director whose films score 100% with me.
Terry Gilliam's films rank 100% with me. Still, I'm sure you realize that there is some leeway in liking a particular work and liking the director of such work. If you like say 90% of a filmmaker's work, it's reasonable to say you're a fan. If you like 10% of a filmmaker's work, I don't think it's reasonable for people to call you a fan of them. The ratios in between can be debated, but there really isn't a solid correllation between liking a work and liking the filmmaker.

Then explain to me why these people go on and on and on about a filmmaker they're not a fan of.
So ranting about a filmmaker makes one a fan? That means we have a whole lot of Uwe Boll fans on this forum.

Pardon me, but aren't you the guy who started originaltrilogy.com? Maybe that's a different Jay.
It is a different Jay. There are several of us out there, living among your kind.

My point? Okay, they're not fans of Lucas. Then why bother with a petition?
Maybe because they're fans of the Original Trilogy? I mean, just a guess. You seem mentally incapable of fathoming that someone may like a work or series of works without instantly worshiping the man who created them.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino, so I don't talk about him and plead with him to do what I want. Why? Because I don't care what he does.
But if theoretically you were a fan of Pulp Fiction, you would care what happened to that film, regardless of whether you like Tarantino or not.

Something tells me you don't have a clue what Lucas has done for the film industry. The films are just a very small part of it. Go read Skywalking, The Creative Impulse, Cinefex, or any of the other myriad of books.
Well, we know what side of Lucas fanatacism you lie on. Lucas has been influential in the film industry. That still doesn't mean that people have to be a fan of him, especially if they don't like his most recent contributions.

As for awful, that's your opinion. You speak for nobody but yourself, and just because you think one way, doesn't make it so, and vice versa.
Really, thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was speaking from a position of high authority, second only to God himself. Now that I know that my word is not Law, I humbly submit, as my own opinion, that TPM was awful.

Who said anything about him deliberately spending millions just to piss off fans? That's your words, not mine. All I said is it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a kick out of them being pissed off. I'm also not just talking about movies. I'm talking about changes to the originals, and not releasing the originals.
You originally said "everytime Lucas does something to piss of these people." Since the prequels fit into that category, I assumed you were talking about those as well. But do you honestly think that he made the changes to the original trilogy, changes that still cost millions of dollars, just to piss off his fans? You make him sound juvenille, even worse than the haters make him out to be.

THX-1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars. He created, wrote, and directed all 3.
I'd say Empire Strikes Back and Indy 1 & 3 beat those films out. You included those in your list of "his" films. He directed none of those, and while he's credited with story for them, he didn't write the screenplay for those either.

So try as you might to absolve him of any credit for his films, you fail. Argument over!
I never said he didn't do anything for these films. I said he didn't direct or write what I feel were the best of, by your standards, "his" films.

Whose got their panties in a bunch? I don't. This is a message board. This is what message boards are for.
Then just let the critics criticize, without trying to discredit them or call them closet fans. What does it matter to you if they don't like Lucas?
Old 03-11-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is sooooo beautiful
I'm sure the website is being pound to death, after clicking on it nothing happens.
Old 03-11-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know what? Good for Sessa.

He beats all these other "fans" who say they HATED TPM and AOTC, but are now getting their hopes all up for a movie that continues the story of two movies they hate, contains actors they hate, and contains characters they hate. Oh, and they also own the DVDs, and can spoute off more expanded universe stuff based on the prequels, than I can.

You know, Pearl Harbor had an awesome trailer. I hated the movie, I probably hate no other movie more. If Pearl Harbor 2 was coming out, and it had another cool trailer, I wouldn't be getting excited.

I just don't get these people. I can see them not liking the prequels, thinking they're disapointing, but there is this large bunch who say they hate them, but can't seem to get enough of them.

Last edited by BizRodian; 03-11-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched the HD trailer, as linked above, i think it looks STUNNING! I absolutely cant wait for the movie-

All you people out there that dont think this looks completely awesome need to have your eyes checked, and your head examined.
Old 03-11-05, 12:59 PM

there's a full HDTV res trailer on alt.binaries.hdtv. Its 150MB 1280x720 with 5.1. gorgeous.
Old 03-11-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
C'mon Sessa! With all due respect, I don't buy that at all, and I don't buy that you honestly believe that trailer looks dreadful, no matter how much you disliked the first two. Nothing in that trailer looks dreadful. Maybe you were underwhelmed, but dreadful? No way!
Nothing to you looks dreadful, to me it absolutely does. The only thing that looks cool is Ewan McGregor, & that is just b/c I'm a huge fan of his. This trailer like the last 2 films is just sensory overload. Too much going on visually, & on top of that w/ this last film there is way too much crammed into it story wise. I see Jackson & he just sucks me out of what I'm seeing, he just looks & talks like Sam Jackson in a Star Wars movie, not a character. Seeing Hayden reminded me about a big reason I hate the last one so much, he is just awful. I couldn't stand Yoda fighting & it looks like we get more of that & Darth at he end just made me laugh. My main problem is these just don't feel or look like Star Wars films, I don't know how else to explain it. And when you see movies like LOTR, I do hate to bring that up, that have such near flawless special effects, & then you see this trailer like the last 2 films, with all of Lucas's hype about his special effects, it just looks like a cartoon.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that you don't like the prequels or think Lucas is a no-talent hack. I can respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. I can empathize with you because I felt the same about the LOTR films. I found them to be as boring, tedious, and pretentious to watch as the books were to read. So I didn't even bother with ROTK, and I really wanted to enjoy the films. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres. Don't know how you feel about those, but I'm just trying to make a point.
For one I find it impossible to believe that fantasy is your fav genre but you didn't like LOTR. I'm sorry, I don't buy it, & a book that is literally the bible of the fantasy genre in a 100% faithful adaptation, as a fan there is no way you could not like it & especially find them to be "pretentious" which they are the exact opposite of.

I also don't get this either. If you liked the originals and the Indy trilogy, or even American Graffiti, how can you not be a fan of Lucas. If you like a filmmaker's work, how can you not be a fan?
You are right, I am a fan of Lucas in the beginning, I just despise what he has become, & I have never been a fan of Lucas as a director.

The problem though is these people will be in a seat come May, they'll be disappointed, and then we'll have to here the whining ad nauseum for a couple of years. Not accusing you of that, but it's inevitable. Why bother with the film if they're in that boat. Makes no sense whatsoever.
This is referring to my friends that I referred to as "Star Wars dorks" & you misunderstand me. My dork friends LOVE all things Star Wars & endlessly defend the last 2 films refusing to believe anything bad can be said about Star Wars.

I thought Same sounded good, especially considering they took 3 of his lines in the trailer completely out of context and from different scenes, and just cram them together as if it was one line. Hayden didn't sound bad at all other than his opening line. He just has that voice that some people don't like. Heck, at least he's not Orlando Bloom, who is stealing money every time he gets paid to be in a film.
I don't know who "Same" is, but you sound like my dorky friends. You just refuse to acknowledge anything bad about these films, basically any criticism I will say, you will not agre with. I do agree with you about Bloom though.

And for the record, I do like the Clone Wars cartoons. I'm not anti-Star Wars, like I said, I just think the new films are disasters & the trailer looks to be the same, but die-hard Star Wars fanatics will never accept this.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-11-05 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 01:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by BizRodian
I just don't get these people. I can see them not liking the prequels, thinking they're disapointing, but there is this large bunch who say they hate them, but can't seem to get enough of them.
i don't get poeple that say they don't get people like me. I am one of many OT fans that have been largely disappointed by the PT, but I own the DVDs because they continue the mythology. beyond that they offer the thrills of incredibly dynamic action sequences that make for excellent system demonstration discs!

anyway, this final film of the PT -- with the inclusion of Vader, Chewbacca, The Emperor, Tantive IV, Tarkin, etc -- has a stronger link to ANH (this film is where the PT should have begun IMO) and is tapping into that ingrained mythology, imbedded years ago, even more so than the previous two films.
Originally Posted by Sessa17
You just refuse to acknowledge anything bad about these films, basically any criticism I will say, you will not agre with. I do agree with you about Bloom though.
Terrell has posted on more than one occasion regarding his dislike for Jar-Jar, Jake Lloyd, and the romantic scenes between Padme and Anakin.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 03-11-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
anyway, this final film of the PT -- with the inclusion of Vader, Chewbacca, The Emperor, Tantive IV, Tarkin, etc -- has a stronger link to ANH (this film is where the PT should have begun IMO) and is tapping into that ingrained mythology, imbedded years ago, even more so than the previous two films.
like many others i look forward to the conclusion of the PT. also like others, i have some problems with both TPM and AOTC which may or may not be resolved with ROTS. however, i am not sure we could be where we are with ROTS without some of the background presented in both TPM and AOTC. YMMV.

btw, this trailer is fantastic. thanks again to steebo for the link.

kms
Old 03-11-05, 02:28 PM
Retired

Looks great. Only thing that made me cringe was Jackson. He just doesn't fit.
Old 03-11-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone know what those giant water orb things are when Sam Jackson is doing the v.o. and saying that he doesn't trust Anakin and so on. I think it's at the Jedi Council scene.
Old 03-11-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
anyone know what those giant water orb things are when Sam Jackson is doing the v.o. and saying that he doesn't trust Anakin and so on. I think it's at the Jedi Council scene.
Spoiler:
They're at -- for lack of a better term -- the 'opera'. Anakin is in Palpatine's private box watching the performance, dancers and such with water orbs.
Old 03-11-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Spoiler:
They're at -- for lack of a better term -- the 'opera'. Anakin is in Palpatine's private box watching the performance, dancers and such with water orbs.

Spoiler:
wait, so what are the watery things? they're just for show and aren't forcefields or anything
Old 03-11-05, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Looks great. Only thing that made me cringe was Jackson. He just doesn't fit.
Just out of curiosity, why the dislike for Sam Jackson?
Old 03-11-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Spoiler:
wait, so what are the watery things? they're just for show and aren't forcefields or anything
Spoiler:
Actually, I don't know what they are. Maybe they are forcefields used as part of the performance. But that's all that's going on there... people are watching a show.
Old 03-11-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Only thing that made me cringe was Jackson. He just doesn't fit.
Oh snap, strong disagreement here, brother.

Anyone have a link to a smaller sized trailer (~10-15 mbs?? I want to send the link to a friend at work for a quicker download.
Old 03-11-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts
Sessa: I don't know whether to like you or hate you!

I am a fan of both Star Wars and LOTR, so I am very lucky. I am not harsh on the PT of SW, but I will admit it had a few things in it that I could have done without. Overall though, it did entertain me. What is interesting is that you offer valid arguments for not liking the PT that whenever I go to the Jedi Council (a forum of theforce.net) and voice as shortcomings in the PT and what LOTR has over them get me called an idiot and treated as an invalid in their eyes.

Believe it or not, they once said that it was stupid to complain about bad performances from actors in Star Wars as the series is not and will never be about acting. Perhaps that is true, but is expecting something to at least be competent asking too much?

In terms of not being a fan of a director but not liking them, Quentin Tarantino is a prime example of this for me. I like his movies and think they are great, but whenever I see him interviewed or speaking at events I just think he is a jackass. In short, I am a fan of his work, but not him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.