Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Not watching the Oscars? What are you doing instead?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Not watching the Oscars? What are you doing instead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You people just completely astound me. One would assume we're all here at this website because of our collective love/admiration of movies. Well, here is an event that celebrates the reason why we're here, and touches upon all the craft that goes into moviemaking. It also reflects upon the history of the industry and brings to light some smaller films that, without the support of Academy Award nominations, would possibly flounder and never find an audience. Yet all of you seem to piss on it and snub your noses in an elitist manner; as if you're above it all. True, not all our favorites wind up winning (I would have rather "Pulp Fiction" instead of "Forrest Gump"), but in most cases Hollywood does get it right. The whole time capsule-element also comes into play, in that the choices will go down in history as reflective of the times we are living in. This whole negative attitude towards celebrating movies in the form of the Academy Awards ceremony makes about as much sense as being a regular visitor/participant in a football related sports website all season long, then when the Superbowl rolls around, you all have much better things to do other than watch. ???????????????
Old 02-27-05, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tarnower
True, not all our favorites wind up winning (I would have rather "Pulp Fiction" instead of "Forrest Gump"), but in most cases Hollywood does get it right.
I think most of the time Hollywood does not get it right. Scorsese is a good example. Loot at the films that man has directed and still no oscar? What a joke.

And it is because I so love movies and those who are serious about making good ones that I have come to the conclusion that the Academy is worthy of being 'pissed on'.
If that makes me an elitist, so be it.
Old 02-27-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You people just completely astound me. One would assume we're all here at this website because of our collective love/admiration of movies. Well, here is an event that celebrates the reason why we're here, and touches upon all the craft that goes into moviemaking.
Thinking like this, astounds me as a true fan of film. I cannot understand how a fan of the art of film could stomach what the Oscars have become. The truly brilliant films rarely get Oscar recognition & all the Oscars really are, is a marketing campaign to tell the average joe what movies he should be watching, & Hollywood tells you what is good rather than discovering films on your own. A film has to come out in December or late Nov to be recognized nowadays & you can predict who will win or at least be nominated before the films even get made. When the very rumor of Fox playing Ray was announced, I posted here it was a lock for him to win an Oscar.

The show has devolved into nothing more than a reason for over-glorified actors to slobber all over each other & use what SHOULD be a show honoring the craft of acting as their platform for their beliefs or just an excuse to act like what they have to say matter.

True, not all our favorites wind up winning, but in most cases Hollywood does get it right.
Tell that to Scorcesse the year Goodfellas was nominated.

IMO the Oscars embody all the is wrong with movies these days. It's a PC ego stroke that stifles & ignores countless bold & more deserving films & performances. If a major actor plays a retard, they will get nominated, plays a whore or oppressed women, they will get nominated, plays a real life character, a lock to get nominated, predicateble drivel. That's all it is now.
Old 02-28-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was busy screencapping the Oscars.

Seriously, I wasn't planning on watching them but I checked out the TV Talk thread to see if anything interesting had happened and someone requested a screencap so I spent the rest of the show grabbing caps of (mostly) hotties and posting them. The show was pretty boring overall, but the women were looking fine and it kept me occupied, otherwise I probably would have tuned out.
Old 02-28-05, 01:07 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, this year's Oscars were pretty predictable and uneventful, but hopefully I'll have won a few Oscar pools so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 02-28-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
You people just completely astound me. One would assume we're all here at this website because of our collective love/admiration of movies. Well, here is an event that celebrates the reason why we're here, and touches upon all the craft that goes into moviemaking. It also reflects upon the history of the industry and brings to light some smaller films that, without the support of Academy Award nominations, would possibly flounder and never find an audience. Yet all of you seem to piss on it and snub your noses in an elitist manner; as if you're above it all. True, not all our favorites wind up winning (I would have rather "Pulp Fiction" instead of "Forrest Gump"), but in most cases Hollywood does get it right. The whole time capsule-element also comes into play, in that the choices will go down in history as reflective of the times we are living in. This whole negative attitude towards celebrating movies in the form of the Academy Awards ceremony makes about as much sense as being a regular visitor/participant in a football related sports website all season long, then when the Superbowl rolls around, you all have much better things to do other than watch. ???????????????

What does watching an awards show have to do with appreciating DVDs? Not much if you ask me. The Oscars are borrrrrinnnnng. The Super Bowl analogy is way off. I watch a lot of sports too and I don't watch the ESPYs either.

Like I said - I watched a DVD.
Old 02-28-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People here either get it or they don't.
Old 02-28-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by SMB-IL

People here either get it or they don't.

And the people who 'don't get it' are the ones with the elitist attitudes?
Old 02-28-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And the people who 'don't get it' are the ones with the elitist attitudes?
Seriously, also one thing I forgot to add in my above rant.

I just cannot understand this for the life of me. Clint Eastwood, probably my all-time favorite actor or any actor I like, I'm just using him as an example. Why should I give two shits if his peers gave him a golden statue about a movie he made? I just don't get it, & the Academy voters see less than FIFTY PERCENT of the movies that are up for nominations.
Old 02-28-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
You people just completely astound me. One would assume we're all here at this website because of our collective love/admiration of movies.
I like watching movies. I don't like the Academy Awards. I'm less interested in the business and promotional end of things.

Well, here is an event that celebrates the reason why we're here, and touches upon all the craft that goes into moviemaking. It also reflects upon the history of the industry and brings to light some smaller films that, without the support of Academy Award nominations, would possibly flounder and never find an audience.
I used to watch. I remember Stanley Kubrick and Akira Kurosawa being passed over in the obituary segments in the years that they died. It's an awards ceremony, not a history lesson, and the Academy only celebrates the historical movies that they liked.

By the way, was Brando mentioned? Did they show him declining his Academy Award?

Yet all of you seem to piss on it and snub your noses in an elitist manner; as if you're above it all. True, not all our favorites wind up winning (I would have rather "Pulp Fiction" instead of "Forrest Gump"), but in most cases Hollywood does get it right.
I happen to disagree. But we've all seen the won/lost lists before.

The whole time capsule-element also comes into play, in that the choices will go down in history as reflective of the times we are living in.
Ah, so it's not the best movies that win, but the most typical movies!

This whole negative attitude towards celebrating movies in the form of the Academy Awards ceremony makes about as much sense as being a regular visitor/participant in a football related sports website all season long, then when the Superbowl rolls around, you all have much better things to do other than watch. ???????????????
I don't watch awards ceremonies on television. I don't watch talk shows where the hosts suck up to the guests. I don't read magazines where the stories were dictated by that month's advertisers. I don't watch Entertainment Tonight or read the scandal sheets. I don't care what celebrities are doing off-screen. I don't care about the movie that had the biggest opening last weekend.

I mostly ignore the publicity machine. And I don't want to spend Sunday night watching a schmoozefest where movie stars try to act friendly towards each other on camera, trying to raise their lovability factor with the public at large.

The title of the thread was, "Not watching the Oscars? What are you doing instead?" We were enjoying our discussion, and you are close to threadcrapping.

By the way, dinner was excellent, cajun fish. We watched Altered States, I got a muscle massage, and I went to bed early in preparation for minor surgery in the morning. Did you enjoy sitting in front of the TV?

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-28-05 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I like watching movies. I don't like the Academy Awards. I'm less interested in the business and promotional end of things.

I used to watch. I remember Stanley Kubrick and Akira Kurosawa being passed over in the obituary segments in the years that they died. It's an awards ceremony, not a history lesson, and the Academy only celebrates the historical movies that they liked.

By the way, was Brando mentioned? Did they show him declining his Academy Award?

I happen to disagree. But we've all seen the won/lost lists before.

Ah, so it's not the best movies that win, but the most typical movies!

I don't watch awards ceremonies on television. I don't watch talk shows where the hosts suck up to the guests. I don't read magazines where the stories were dictated by that month's advertisers. I don't watch Entertainment Tonight or read the scandal sheets. I don't care what celebrities are doing off-screen. I don't care about the movie that had the biggest opening last weekend.

I mostly ignore the publicity machine. And I don't want to spend Sunday night watching a schmoozefest where movie stars try to act friendly towards each other on camera, trying to raise their lovability factor with the public at large.

The title of the thread was, "Not watching the Oscars? What are you doing instead?" We were enjoying our discussion, and you are close to threadcrapping.

By the way, dinner was excellent, cajun fish. We watched Altered States, I got a muscle massage, and I went to bed early in preparation for minor surgery in the morning. Did you enjoy sitting in front of the TV?
I did post in an inappropriate thread. I shouldn't have posted in here. Sorry about crapping on your party. Continue on with your bashing.
Old 02-28-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I worked.

At the movie theater, ironically enough.