Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but a movie I loved on HBO was "Doublecrossed". It starred Dennis Hopper.. I had a very, very bad tape of it from when our VCR was on the fritz, but then I found it in a video store a decade ago and re-copied it. I'd love that on DVD.
Old 01-25-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez, I love Get Crazy. I used to keel over laughing when Malcolm McDowell's penis would start talking to him. I never will forget that large joint costume and the way it was burned all the way down to the legs by the end of the flick - I based a comic strip I used to draw on that. I would love to see this flick again. I'm surprised someone else mentioned it.

I used to watch Max Dugan Returns all the time, as well. Wouldn't mind picking this flick up, either. TAG is one I would buy RIGHT NOW if available. I used to sneak and watch H.O.T.S. all the time, too, but I think that was Cinemax.

Wow, there were so many, I will have to keep checking this thread for some nostalgia.
Old 01-25-05, 10:38 AM

i have an early hbo show, i know i saw but cannot find mention of it existing at imdb.

it was like a after school special type show called the wilder summer. it took place at a summer camp and starred (the ones i remember) paul dooley and the red headed kid that became a game show host. think his name was jd roth or something. maybe it was double dare he hosted?

anyone remember this one or have i completely lost touch with reality? although throwing out the name "paul dooley" may answer that for me
Old 01-25-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Rogue588-

Can't believe I forgot Looker as well. Despite how universally panned the thing was, I must have seen it almost 20 times in one month. Got to a point where the name Tim Rossovich (he played one of the heavies) became an in-joke between me and my brother.

GhostFace180-

As far as I know, Rock and Roll High School was released on DVD as a special edition some years ago. Not sure if its out of print or not, but it contained an Alan Arkush commentary and some audio-only tracks of the Ramones from the film's raw concert footage.

As for Twice Upon a time, its really a film that needs to be seen with its adult soundtrack. I've bought the Warner's VHS and LD copies, and they are enjoyable, but neither quite hits the stride of the original soundtrack. BTW, the film was a starting point for some big talent. David Fincher (Seven, Panic Room) did camera work on it. Henry Selick (Nightmare Before Xmas) was one of hte sequence directors (handled the office nightmare sequence). Harley Jessup (Monsters, Inc.) was the production designer. You can find a pretty cool article about it here:

Twice Upon a Time article

TAG: the Assassination Game was pretty cool too. Made me interested in Nick Castle before the Last Starfighter or the Boy Who Could Fly came out. Funny thing is that TAG, starring Robert Carradine, was much like another flick from the time called Gotcha, which starred fellow Nerd Anthony Edwards.

And Max Dugan Returns. Really loved that one...probably my second favorite Jason Robards performance, next to A Thousand Clowns. Miss that flick immensely.
Old 01-25-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Just thought of another one.

A small flick called "The Escape Artist," which I believe had Griffin O'Neal in it that was pretty cool, about some kid who is trying to emulate Houdini.
Old 01-25-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Funny thing is that TAG, starring Robert Carradine, was much like another flick from the time called Gotcha, which starred fellow Nerd Anthony Edwards.
Loved that flick. I think it's out on DVD too.

However the best parts were the beginning and ending sequences (the paintball stuff.) The middle was pretty forgettable
Old 01-25-05, 02:30 PM

Prime Risk...wasnt that the one with the Atms....man im getting old..lol
Old 01-25-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Not a movie, but there was a one-hour comedy special on HBO featuring a comedian named Steven Banks. He was attempting to work from home but kept getting distracted by things around his house. It occurred in real-time, as he wandered around his apartment set. He was a fairly accomplished musician, playing the guitar, drums and several other instruments around the stage. He had nothing in his cupboards but chocolate chip cookies and ended up getting fired at the end but scored a band gig so he was happy.
I think it was simply called "The Steven Banks Show". I loved it. Caught it every time they showed it. I wonder why that guy never became a star, he was really talented.

Hmmm...found it at TV Tome - seems the pilot was on Showtime, not HBO, and there was a PBS series.
Old 01-25-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember that when I first got HBO in the early 80's, there was a show called "Video Jukebox", where they used to show (you guessed it!) music videos.

I just checked to see if there's anything about this show on the net and came across this website. Beware of the yahoo-geocities popup though!

And to keep with the topic, I remember seeing "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" and "Super Fuzz" (as previously mentioned) on HBO a few times back then.
Old 01-25-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
What was the one with Helen Hunt as the only girl on the men's baseball team? Wasn't Harry Hamlin in that?

I realize a quick trip to the IMDB will probably answer that question, but I want someone here to reminisce with me, dammit!!

What about Ratboy?
Old 01-25-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I think it was simply called "The Steven Banks Show". I loved it. Caught it every time they showed it. I wonder why that guy never became a star, he was really talented.

Hmmm...found it at TV Tome - seems the pilot was on Showtime, not HBO, and there was a PBS series.
You know, I think I researched this a few years ago and discovered the same thing. I'd forgotten it was on Showtime.

Well, regardless, it was awesome.

"Marvin Gaye died at 44/When his father shot him pointblank on the floor/So if you beat up your dad do a good job then run out the door."

I'll never forget that lyric.
Old 01-26-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I'm glad someone made this thread, because there's a question about this very type of thing that's been bugging me for some time. I'll describe it the way I remember it, so I don't have to keep saying "I seem to remember this" or I seem to remember that."

Early, early HBO days...
made-for-HBO...
starred E.G. Daily...
movie was called "Josie", or something like that.

I've looked and looked for information about this all over the internet, and come up with nothing. I know I didn't just dream it, because I basically "fell in love" with E.G. Daily watching that, and everything I saw her in after that always reminded me of seeing that early movie.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? Do I know what the hell I'm talking about?
What happened in the movie? What period was it set?
Old 01-26-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the E.G. Daily movie, I agree that some more info would be a help. According to the IMDB and to Daily's personal website, nothing close to that title appears.

But, then again, maybe you were deluded.
Old 01-26-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Unfortunately I don't remember too much about it. All I seem to remember about it is it involved high school kids, set in modern day (which would have been those early days of HBO), she was the title character, and I think there was something about her either being promiscuous, or getting in some kind of trouble in regards to sex. It's all pretty foggy. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I would swear it was her.
Old 01-26-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
What was the one with Helen Hunt as the only girl on the men's baseball team? Wasn't Harry Hamlin in that?

I realize a quick trip to the IMDB will probably answer that question, but I want someone here to reminisce with me, dammit!!

What about Ratboy?
The Helen Hunt movie I remember was Quarterback Princess and I believe John Stockwell was in it.

Does anyone remember Wild Thing? It was a almost like Tarzan in the city or something like that.
Old 01-26-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I remember a movie with Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters called "Heart Beeps." It was about three robots from a factory who go out and have an adventure while being tracked by a renegade tank-like robot called the "Crimebuster." The movie was kind of goodie-goodie, but I remember thinking the Crimebuster was a bad ass when he goes into a party joint and proceeds to level the place all by himself.
Old 01-27-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for HBO movies in the 80's I remember a WWII gem with Anthony Hopkins as Hitler called The Bunker, which is being released on DVD in March. HBO in the 80's was awesome, period, with tons of great live fights and the great and not so great movies of the day getting their initial TV broadcasts.
Old 01-27-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Does anyone remember Wild Thing? It was a almost like Tarzan in the city or something like that.
Heh, Yup I remember that one. With Kathleen Quinlan (Haven't seen it in a long time but I remember her looking hot) and Robert Davi. Your typically funky 80's movie.
Old 01-27-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Hardbodies??
Old 01-27-05, 03:01 AM
Suspended

What about Payback

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110803/

Not sure if this was released in theaters, all I remember was watching this on HBO late at night, I actually really liked it..
Old 01-27-05, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing

GhostFace180-

As far as I know, Rock and Roll High School was released on DVD as a special edition some years ago. Not sure if its out of print or not, but it contained an Alan Arkush commentary and some audio-only tracks of the Ramones from the film's raw concert footage.
I believe he was referring to the "sequel" with Corey Feldman

Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever
Old 01-27-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I believe he was referring to the "sequel" with Corey Feldman

Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever
Correct you are. My stupid.

Guess I picked a bad week to give up qualudes.
Old 01-27-05, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Matt Millheiser]What was the one with Helen Hunt as the only girl on the men's baseball team? Wasn't Harry Hamlin in that?

I think the one with the woman on the baseball team with Harry Hamlin was "Blue Skies Again".

Does anyone remember "BMX Bandits"? It wasan Australian movie with a teenage Nikole Kidman. These 2 goofy henchmen were trying to catch her and her BMX buddies. I can't remember why they were after them though?! By the end of the movie they had gathered an army of fellow BMXers to defeat the henchmen and opened their own dirt park or something.
Old 01-27-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kramer1
Does anyone remember "BMX Bandits"?
I remember the three kids going down a water slide holding their bikes. I don't remember too much more of the movie.
Old 01-28-05, 12:43 PM

Not sure if these were from HBO, but I always liked these two movies, and was even just talking about them the other day:

Black Rainbow (with Patricia Arquette)
Fear (the one about a psychic woman trying to solve a murder, not the Mark Wahlberg one)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.