Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

They're making THE GODFATHER into a video game?!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First they shit on The Seven Samurai and now they shit on The Godfather. Now all they need to do is make Casablanca and Citizen Kane in to crappy games then they can say they're caught up with hollywood.

you can watch the teaser at

http://www.gametrailers.com
or at
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/t...her/index.html

Stupid stupid video game company. I hope uwe boll makes thirty more movies. Yeah thats right I said it.
Old 12-15-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They did a Fight Club game too. That I found funny.

While I agree with you for the most part, do you write off games as a medium of story telling? I've played more than a few games that were better than the average movie.
Old 12-15-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow. this is fuck'n lame. There is some games that lead themselves to decent video games. But most of them are generic shoot em ups with characters that were never anywhere to begin with.
Old 12-15-04, 09:14 PM

The story in the underappreciated 'Mafia' was amazing. I'm hoping this turns out to be good too.
Old 12-16-04, 01:13 AM
Banned

wait, they shit on Seven Samurai?
Old 12-16-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks like a good game...

for me to poop on!
Old 12-16-04, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Saw the trailer on the Spike tv vg awards... don't see how you can tell it's gonna be a bad video game based on that trailer. This could be an awesome game for all we know. Anyway, this is the wrong forum I think. Movies based on video games go here and video games based on movies go in VG talk.
Old 12-16-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Saw the trailer on the Spike tv vg awards... don't see how you can tell it's gonna be a bad video game based on that trailer. This could be an awesome game for all we know. Anyway, this is the wrong forum I think. Movies based on video games go here and video games based on movies go in VG talk.

You can tell it's going to be a bad video game, because if it was going to be an awesome video game, they wouldn't have needed the license to sell it. And, unlike the situation with Rare and Bond, if these developers really loved or understood this movie, they wouldn't have wanted this license. The same thing, incidentally, could have been said about the "Fight Club" game.

The constraints of the story straitjacket the developers, because a video game narrative needs excuses for action set pieces, and this movie doesn't have them. Also, quite frankly, if GTA has a scene that mimics Sonny getting killed in the Godfather, it's wry and cool. When this game does it, it will be exploitative and ridiculous.
Old 12-16-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Actually, that looks pretty good...as long as they don't make it a first-person shooter. I'd rather see a Godfather game where you had to use your brain to solve things, rather than one where you just walked around shooting mobsters.

Of course, this is why I don't buy too many video games...everyone else seems to prefer the blowing stuff up to something where you have to use logic and wits to win.
Old 12-16-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it would be good if this were something like Hitman.
Old 12-16-04, 08:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Wrong forum.
Old 12-16-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
You can tell it's going to be a bad video game, because if it was going to be an awesome video game, they wouldn't have needed the license to sell it. And, unlike the situation with Rare and Bond, if these developers really loved or understood this movie, they wouldn't have wanted this license. The same thing, incidentally, could have been said about the "Fight Club" game.
Can I get an "AMEN?"
Old 12-16-04, 12:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh well, its expected.
Old 12-16-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the trailer looks well made. I'm willing to wait it out and have hope for it, because it *could* end up being pretty awesome. Just because a game has a license, like The Godfather, does not instantly mean it's going to horrible and that they feel like they need that license to sell the game.

On a side note, don't forget about this upcoming game:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/s...tml?q=scarface
Old 12-17-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There was a Godfather game in 1991 for PC.
Old 12-17-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rivero
wait, they shit on Seven Samurai?
I wouldn't quite say they shit on it, as Seven Samurai 20XX is a somewhat decent game and only really inspired by the movie instead of being directly based on it.

As for The Godfather game I will reserve judgement until a final product, could be good, could be bad, who knows. The trailer hardly gives any idea what the actual gameplay will be like, so again who knows. At least there is a reputable (although evil) company like EA making it.

Also this really does belong in the videogame forum.
Old 02-03-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_godfather_dc

EA Making 'Godfather' Game Using Brando's Voice

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Marlon Brando (news) is dead but his voice will live on, as Electronic Arts Inc. said it plans a video game version of the classic film "The Godfather" using the brooding actor's voice and likeness.

EA said on Wednesday that Brando did a recording session with game developers before he died last year, which the company will use for his character, Don Vito Corleone.

Actors James Caan (news) -- who played Brando's son and heir apparent Sonny Corleone -- and Robert Duvall (news) -- who played Brando's adopted son and advisor Tom Hagen -- will also lend their voices and likenesses to the game, EA said.

The game, scheduled for release this fall on most major platforms, puts the player in the role of an aspiring mobster who seeks to rise to the head of a crime family in late 1940s and early 1950s New York.

The new issue of Vanity Fair reported that Brando almost declined the legendary "Godfather" role because he felt it glorified the Mafia.
Old 02-03-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Brando must have really been hard-up for some cash...apparantly Al Pacino didn't need the money, though.
Old 02-03-05, 11:20 AM

Wow.
Old 02-03-05, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Brando must have really been hard-up for some cash...apparantly Al Pacino didn't need the money, though.
No, but he is doing the voices for the Scent of a Woman game.

Here's a screen shot:

Old 02-03-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-03-05, 04:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by BizRodian
While I agree with you for the most part, do you write off games as a medium of story telling? I've played more than a few games that were better than the average movie.
doesn't sound too hard. there's always a 50/50 shot something will be better than average.
Old 02-03-05, 04:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

And where the hell is Coppola in all this?
Old 02-03-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's impressive they got Brando, Duvall, and Caan for a video game. I hadn't heard of it, but I just watched the trailer and the quality looks good. I hope this game is great, it's been a long time coming.

Still, though, one of the best true mob games out there is Mafia (GET THE PC VERSION, though), which had quite an intricate script. I remember playing through that game about two years ago and loving every minute of it.
Old 02-03-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Truth be told, The Godfather doesn't really lend itself to a video game. And most licensed video games are less than great, though there are some exceptions, and lately the average quality of movie based games has risen. Whereas if it was based on a movie, I knew it'd suck, now it's possible it might be good.

With that in mind, who cares. If the game blows, it'll be forgotten, tucked away, and The Godfather will still be a cinema classic. If it's a good game, then gamers and Godfather fan gamers will have something fun to play, and The Godfather will still be a cinema classic.

So, regardless of what happens with this game, The Godfather was, is, and will remain to be a classic film. Truth is they at least got the voice talent to contribute, so it's obviously not some low budget thing. So, it's always possible it might even be OK. Though, I'm not really sure what type of game a Godfather one should be. Will there be a minigame where you hack a horse's head off and use stealth tactics to place it in the bed?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.