Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Brave (directed by and starring Johnny Depp)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 09:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Has anyone actually seen the movie, The Brave, directed by and starring Johnny Depp? According to a recent EW article, it was booed at Cannes in 1997 and released in Europe. Depp owns the US distribution rights and refuses to release it stateside.

For those who have seen it, please chime in with your comments.
Old 12-08-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was also written by Johnny & his brother.

It's been awhile since I've watched it. I have the r2 from UK. To be honest, I don't remember a whole lot about it. So, I guess that says something. Being a huge Depp fan, I was really interested in this project. Not a bad movie at all, but nothing spectacular either. It kind of falls in line with such Depp movies as "Astronaut's Wife" & "The Ninth Gate", not similar in plot, but similar in a way in which the best thing about the movie is his performance. The guy's such a great actor, that no matter the material, he makes it interesting. I'd only recommend it for loyal fans.
Old 12-09-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marlon Brando and Luis Guzman are in this. I must check this out.
Old 12-09-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all right. The subject matter is interesting but the handling is often banal and aimless. Depp is wonderful in a non-showy role and Brando puts in a memorable performance as a sort of angel of death.
Old 12-09-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Somehow I missed knowing about this completely - thanks for the info.

I checked, and it's still available from amazon.uk (R2/PAL) for about $10.00. I tossed this on my wish list there and will pick it up next time I place an order with them.
Old 12-09-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I was reading some reviews, and I thought Danol had started writing for them, then I saw it was a translation from French.

Spoiler:
Raphaël is an indian. (Johnny Stepp). His family is without any money. A sort of devil (Marlon Brando)seems to like tortures and die of the indians. It's a terrific thing when we know how He did for the Indians. When this old big devil wants with $50,000 the death of Raphël (the same name that the angel)we can't to think to his daughter (Cheyenne)who suicided on 1985. During this strange deal Brando dare quotations of Jesus: "Give to Cesar what is due to him and to God what is due to God!" In this sequence of the picture we can found the misery of the indians territories like the evil of the human condition.The name of Raphaël is suggesting the bible book of the Angel Raphaël who helps Tobias. "El" means God in Hebrew. We may consider this picture as a parabal where we are each other victims or devils. It's an opinion, no more