Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Titanic" line tops cheesy movie scene survey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEW YORK Although the movie "Titanic" soared at the box office, a new survey says its most famous line hit bottom.
A British baker asked two-thousand U-K moviegoers: "What are your top three cheesiest moments in film?" The contest was to mark the launch of Warburtons' new cheese-flavored crumpets.

The words uttered by Leonardo DiCaprio -- "I'm the king of the world" -- were named cheesiest.

Among the top ten was Val Kilmer's line to Tom Cruise in "Top Gun": "You can be my wingman anytime" and Julia Roberts' statement in "Notting Hill": "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her."

And then there's "You had me at hello" from "Jerry Maguire."

Warburtons reports that women who were surveyed opted for romantic comedy moments, while men preferred silly scenes from action flicks like "Top Gun" and "Braveheart."
Old 12-06-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno. I think most of those in the top ten itself are much worse than "I'm the king of the world"
Old 12-06-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thinking of a line concerning toads and lightning...

Okay then. "Love means never having to say you're sorry!"
Old 12-06-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mean, Titanic had some cheesy lines, but "I'm king of the world" wouldn't even make my list. It's only considered cheesy cause of how popular the line became and how it got repeated ad nauseum, though in the context of the film it works quite well. I'd venture to say half of everything said in National Treasure is cheesier than anything in Titanic.

That list reads more like famous lines in movies that people have gotten tired of. It's funny to note that every single one of those examples are lines that were extremely popular upon release, and were spoofed and repeated so many damn times they got tiring. "You had me at hello" was a sweet line, it only got silly when it was used in every other comedy bit as a joke.
Old 12-06-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree. Those lines are only considered cheesy because of how much they were spoofed. Those are hardly as eyerolling as:

"I hate sand. Sand is course and rough. Not like you. You're smooth and soft."

Or however that horrible line went in Star Wars Episode 2. That was a line that had my eyes rolling the first time I heard it. Hell, the whole theater I was in was laughing at that line. And it didn't need spoofing by anyone.
Old 12-06-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
I agree. Those lines are only considered cheesy because of how much they were spoofed. Those are hardly as eyerolling as:

"I hate sand. Sand is course and rough. Not like you. You're smooth and soft."

Or however that horrible line went in Star Wars Episode 2. That was a line that had my eyes rolling the first time I heard it. Hell, the whole theater I was in was laughing at that line. And it didn't need spoofing by anyone.
Wow. You just validated my choice to not watch episode 2.
Old 12-07-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tasha99
Wow. You just validated my choice to not watch episode 2.
It also has a hyper cartoon frog sword-fighting Dracula with glow sticks.

How Lucas made something that gold-sounding suck, I dunno.
Old 12-07-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I don't think those are the best lines to have picked. Some of them are pretty good, and really fit in well with the context of the movie. I think they were pretty much just picked because they've been heard so many times.

I think one of my favorite cheesy lines would be from Van Helsing. I love it when she says, out of nowhere, "I've always wanted to see the ocean." Cracks me up everytime.
Old 12-07-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
I'd galdly take "you had me at hello" over "show me the money" anyday.

How about "Stupid is as stupid does". Yeah I know it's been repeated to death but I'm still trying to figure out what the hell it means.
Old 12-07-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stick that list right next to the "coldest people" crap from a few weeks ago. What's with the "bash whatever's popular" mentality these days? Sheesh.
Old 12-07-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the whole list:

The list of big cheese moments:

1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"

2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."

3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."

3. "Ghost": Demi Moore's "Ditto," to Patrick Swayze's "I love you."

5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: "You can be my wingman anytime"

6. "Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her."

7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"

8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will not take our freedom!"

9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."

10. "The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner: "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No, I'm a postman."

---

On the Net:

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/

Here's one of mine from just the other day when I watched this flick:

11. "Chronicles of Riddick": Vin Diesel to Tandy Newton: "It's been a long time since I've smelled beautiful."
Old 12-07-04, 01:22 PM

I agree that that wouldn't even make my list. As stated, part of the reason it is cheesy is because of after the fact abuse and fame. Also, the scene in context is of him acting somewhat childish and you would expect a real person to say something cheesy. He says it almost in jest as if he jumped up and clicked his heels together after kissing the girl. Cheesy is when the line is meant to be profound and endearing, and yet not.
Old 12-07-04, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Verbal Gorilla
Cheesy is when the line is meant to be profound and endearing, and yet not.

Exactly. Hence lines like 'You had me at hello' that are listed simply because they've been spoofed a million times shouldn't make the cut. The #1 line on this should be:

"I don't like sand. It's rough and course and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is smooth"

This line is so laughable it will never need any actual spoofing.
Old 12-07-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangerory

2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."

3. "Ghost": Demi Moore's "Ditto," to Patrick Swayze's "I love you."

5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: "You can be my wingman anytime"
Those are the only cheesy ones, because they show how vapid Patrick Swayze is and how homoerotic Top Gun was. I won't even count the Postman one, because really, who the hell saw The Postman?
Old 12-07-04, 02:48 PM

The Patriot: "This is a free country, or at least it will be."

Ugh.
Old 12-07-04, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Those are the only cheesy ones, because they show how vapid Patrick Swayze is and how homoerotic Top Gun was. I won't even count the Postman one, because really, who the hell saw The Postman?
The Postman, yeah that was cheese.

Again, though, a list of cheesiest lines really shouldn't be a list of most popular movies, cause save for The Postman, each of those films were huge hits (this was a UK poll so Notting Hill and Four Weddings were amazingly huge hits in comparison to the others). It just seems...silly. I mean, half the movies on there were Best Picture nominees...you're telling me, out of all the movies out there, that's the cheesiest they can think of?
Old 12-07-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does means that a person's actions determine if they are stupid, not the results of an IQ test.
Old 12-08-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well the Braveheart line is wrong anyway. The only one I do agree wholeheartedly with is Titanic. Cringeworthy moment the FIRST time I saw it. I'm not some late guy to the bandwagon, I despised that movie the first time I saw it and that line put it over the top. Everyone I knew thought I was crazy for not liking it, but it was just so vapid and unoriginal. That line sums up the deepness of the flick quite well.
Old 12-09-04, 01:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
How about an oldie:
"To know life, Otto, you have to fuck death in the gallbladder."
Flesh for Frankenstein.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 12-09-04 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-09-04, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though I like AOTC and think it's a good film, surely the "I hate sand....." line is at least in the top ten.
Old 12-09-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts
You guys are so funny. This list is a promotion for cheese crumpets. There may be several more cheesy lines in movie history but how in the hell are people going to know "I hate sand..." line? Of course they have to pick well known lines from well known movies otherwise people would have no idea what the promotion is about. I'm sorry but DVDTalk nitpiks aren't Warburtons target demograph.
Old 12-10-04, 11:23 PM

3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."

Just watched this last night and the line stuck out like a sore thumb. It was even delivered poorly.

7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"

Cheesy my a$$! I love that line, and the speech that led up to it.
Old 12-10-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow...not a single mention of that "re-entry" line from "Moonraker".

But i will agree about that whole Sand = rough you = not rough line is really really bad. I doubt even a good actor could turn that line into a winner.